Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
deleted
Print Wikipost

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2011, 12:39 am

Why chase away loyal customers?

Originally Posted by vsevolod4

Since the "step-up" from lifetime BIS-UA-metal mile to lifetime EQMs happens on 31 Dec 2011, as well as the transfer of CO lifetime tallies to UA, technically does that mean on 31 Dec 2011 the perks are evaluated based on the 2011 program or the 2012 program?

Methinks that if the answer is the 2011 program, that there would be far fewer of UA/CO's most-valuable customers grumbling on this thread (and in real life) than if the answer is the 2012 program.

In other words, do the one-time step-up, combine, dole out the perks as per the 2011 program (including lifetime regionals and lifetime RCC->United Club membership), then start Januarly 1 with the new program and terms.
With all due respect, we are not "grumbling" over the one-time EQMs adjustment.

If you go back and read this very long thread, you will see that the complaints have to do with discrimination of married or "significant others" versus widowed or single, demotion to third place rather than second place (pecking order), a 50% reduction in bonus miles and, of course, the default on promised two annual regional upgrades. That is the "grumbling", not the one-time adjustment that will be made at 12/31/2011 for 2012.

A simple grandfathering of those who achieved million-mile status before the two frequent flyer programs are merged would keep United from losing a lot of long time loyal customers.

The "cost" to grandfather those million-milers is minuscule compared to the loss of future revenue of the customers who feel they were misled and plan to abandon United for Delta or American. Those two airlines might not be the "biggest" but from what I hear, customers' loyalty is rewarded fairly and customers can rely on the word of their management.

Oh, and by the way, based on what I learned from reliable sources, Delta and American will status match.
-
Old Nov 1, 2011, 12:46 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
Oh, and by the way, based on what I learned from reliable sources, Delta and American will status match.
-
If AA is doing status matches, rather than paid challenges, that would be a new development. In the last few years they've only done status matches through corporate travel departments unless you're high revenue (think UGS). There was a short period that they did offer an EXP challenge but that lasted a few weeks earlier this year.

I know a 1K flyer here in the Bay Area that has communicated with a number of AA management folks trying to get an EXP match or challenge without success. He does a lot of paid business class travel.

Now, if you're going to the One World MegaDo you might have some status match options there.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 12:51 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
A simple grandfathering of those who achieved million-mile status before the two frequent flyer programs are merged would keep United from losing a lot of long time loyal customers. -
Grandfathering does not address the inequality issue of people who can use the spouse/SO beneft and people who cannot. I think a more fair way is to have annual options for 1MMs, whether reached before or after the change: spousal benefit or two RPUs.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 2:54 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
With all due respect, we are not "grumbling" over the one-time EQMs adjustment.

If you go back and read this very long thread, you will see that the complaints have to do with discrimination of married or "significant others" versus widowed or single, demotion to third place rather than second place (pecking order), a 50% reduction in bonus miles and, of course, the default on promised two annual regional upgrades. That is the "grumbling", not the one-time adjustment that will be made at 12/31/2011 for 2012.

A simple grandfathering of those who achieved million-mile status before the two frequent flyer programs are merged would keep United from losing a lot of long time loyal customers.

The "cost" to grandfather those million-milers is minuscule compared to the loss of future revenue of the customers who feel they were misled and plan to abandon United for Delta or American. Those two airlines might not be the "biggest" but from what I hear, customers' loyalty is rewarded fairly and customers can rely on the word of their management.

-
I think you apparently misunderstand my point; I never said anyone is grumbling over the EQM adjustment; I said that people are grumbling over the loss of being able to earn lifetime CRs and lifetime lounge status (this among other grumblings). For some, the transfer of the current CO benefit of spousal/SO status makes up for it, for others it does not. The value to some and lack thereof to others is certainly part of the thread but not the sole topic.

All I'm sugesting is to "grandfather" some more people into the old program, according to the old rules. The added miles from the EQM adjustment (big for some, small for others) as well as the added miles from the transferred lifetime miles from CO (ditto) would push a certain number of people up another MM tier (or more).

If the EQM adjustment and CO mile transfer are performed and status re-evaluated according to the 2011 program (meaning a whole new crop of people will receive some of these expiring benefits, for life), rather than according to the 2012 program, this will reduce the number of people who feel they have "lost" a benefit of the old program. Since the step-up and transfer occur on the last day of 2011, one could imagine an immediate re-evaluation of MM status still under the 2011 program, rather than waiting for a re-evaluation on the first day of the 2012 program. That is what I'm advocating, and it is a move that would benefit anyone for whom the step-up and/or CO transfer push them up a MM tier. In this case, anyone qualifying for another tier based on the step-up and/or CO transfer would potentially be "grandfathered" some additional benefits for which they would otherwise not be eligible according to the 2012 program. and would gain a few more SWUs in their accounts for the threshold(s) they've crossed. No loss for anyone vs starting with the 2012 program, and a gain for some people who are bumped up a tier. Doesn't solve everyone's complaints, but makes some people happier with the new program than they otherwise would be.

As for grandfathering those people who have achieved lifetime CR or lounge benefits under the old benefit, I believe that is already partially in the program (at least the lounge status; the CR I think is not but frankly CRs are much less useful since the unlimited upgrade program began). I'm suggesting that this be done based not before the step-up and combination of accounts, but after. Of course that means anyone who qualified before continue to qualify for grandfathering, but my proposal extends the grandfathering to far more people and is a superset of grandfathering only those who qualify before.

Last edited by vsevolod4; Nov 1, 2011 at 3:41 am
Old Nov 1, 2011, 9:50 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by vsevolod4
Since the step-up and transfer occur on the last day of 2011, one could imagine an immediate re-evaluation of MM status still under the 2011 program, rather than waiting for a re-evaluation on the first day of the 2012 program. That is what I'm advocating, and it is a move that would benefit anyone for whom the step-up and/or CO transfer push them up a MM tier. In this case, anyone qualifying for another tier based on the step-up and/or CO transfer would potentially be "grandfathered" some additional benefits for which they would otherwise not be eligible according to the 2012 program. and would gain a few more SWUs in their accounts for the threshold(s) they've crossed. No loss for anyone vs starting with the 2012 program, and a gain for some people who are bumped up a tier. Doesn't solve everyone's complaints, but makes some people happier with the new program than they otherwise would be.
Actually, that's probably the only fair way to handle any grandfathering that might occur because CO folk will already have all of their bonus EQM (etc) credited to their accounts as of the end of 2011, whereas UA folk potentially will not.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.3M Lifetime, Mariott Plat for life
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Actually, that's probably the only fair way to handle any grandfathering that might occur because CO folk will already have all of their bonus EQM (etc) credited to their accounts as of the end of 2011, whereas UA folk potentially will not.
This is a very good point, especially for those of us closing in on 2MM which would give United Club for life. This assumes that CO flyers that have crossed the 2MM mark are given this award. Anyone know? dave
Old Nov 1, 2011, 2:44 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dasams
This is a very good point, especially for those of us closing in on 2MM which would give United Club for life. This assumes that CO flyers that have crossed the 2MM mark are given this award. Anyone know? dave
CO 2MM flyers got gold level elite status for life and no club membership.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.3M Lifetime, Mariott Plat for life
Originally Posted by skj
CO 2MM flyers got gold level elite status for life and no club membership.
That means that grandfathering of club membership is unlikely or else they'll have to give it to CO 2MM members. I'm a lot more upset about this than the spousal vs CR-1 issue. dave
Old Nov 1, 2011, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
Unlikely now that I can get the lifetime club membership, but does it include a spouse card? If not, can you pay some increment to get it, or would your spouse pay full membership cost?
Old Nov 1, 2011, 5:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by joel67
Unlikely now that I can get the lifetime club membership, but does it include a spouse card? If not, can you pay some increment to get it, or would your spouse pay full membership cost?
Lounge membership (annual, multi-year or lifetime -- when it was available) has a spousal option at a reduced rate.

UA site - United Club membership details
CO site - United Club membership details
no lifetime otions on either site at this point
Old Nov 1, 2011, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Lounge membership (annual, multi-year or lifetime -- when it was available) has a spousal option at a reduced rate.

Guess I wasn't clear. My question is, what exactly is the current 2MM club benefit? I'm guessing that the lifetime membership is just for me, but is there any provision to add a spouse (annually or permanently)?

I'm curious because for many of us with spouses who travel independently and also want to use the club, a lifetime membership that still required the spouse to buy at full price is far less valuable than it would seem.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum

...but not with the 2MM lifetime benefit! I went back and forth with UA on this a number of years ago...I had always purchased a spouse membership for Mrs. 1KPath at the discounted rate. After I received my lifetime RCC membership, UA wanted full membership dues for Mrs. 1KPath, without any discounts! After about a month of e-mails/phone calls with RCC management and Customer Service, they gave me a "one time only" spousal discount for Mrs. 1KPath for the following two years. Last year, UA refused any discount stating they had done all that they could for me...Solution...buy RCC access passes (when they were heavily discounted)...and since she only travels without me 3-4 times per year, this makes the most economic sense!
Old Nov 1, 2011, 8:28 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by dasams
I think it is a good bet that you will get the same benefit, club for life.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 8:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jake66
I think it is a good bet that you will get the same benefit, club for life.
I thinking it is unlikely CO 2 MM in 2011 will get the RCC for Life.

The two programs are separate in 2011, CO OP has a MM program and UA MP has a MM program. In 2012, there is a common program and it does not include UC / RCC for life at any level.

Your guide to the MileagePlus Million Miler program.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
I thinking it is...
As a Million Miler, will I continue to receive 2 Regional
Upgrades for life?
Yes. We are committed to providing Million Mile Flyers, our most loyal
members, with lifetime benefits in recognition of their travels on
United. Among those benefits are two Regional Upgrades, awarded
annually to the member.
I'm thinking it is Promises Promises.

Last edited by Fredd; Nov 2, 2011 at 10:47 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.