Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
deleted
Print Wikipost

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2011, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
Does UA hate single people?

When I first heard the news of the changes, I was very excited - United did a great job off really making us paranoid w/leaking the changes to Lucky's blog. And when it turned out to be smaller devaluations, I was jumping for joy.

As I've digested the news, it's apparent that for MM benefits, single people really get the shaft. Not only did we lose our 100% bonus miles as 1p for life (okay every gets that), or become 4th from the top instead of 3rd (GS, 1k, 0p then 1p), but the regional upgrades + SWU's were taken away in exchange for a spousal benefit.

Well great if you have a spouse. And if you don't, then you kind of got screwed. It seems like UACO could have done a much better job making this piece more equitable with little to no cost. I propose one of 2 options:

1) a companion status match which can be changed every year (kind of like the 3p nomination, but in this case they get nominated to whatever status you are), and forget the "must live at same address" nonsense.

2) 2 annual regional upgrades

Honestly, neither of those seems like it would have a huge cost to UA - in fact they were already giving away 2 CR1's. Allowing it to be any companion of choice and not limit it to a "spouse" whatever their definition is would be a nice way not to discriminate.

If you agree, please write to 1k voice and express your opinion.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by blue47
It could be interesting when the BIS folks get their EQM adjustments. I flew for some years at the CO platinum level that I earned during the 50% EQM rules if you were forced to use a corporate travel agency. My EQM were many fewer than my BIS. I did get the pleasure of flying NW and picking up some EQM (also at 50% if I remember). The poor UA BIS dedicated flyers missed that privilege. I also have some US EQM. That should make the UA flyers jealous. It was extremely rare when the EQM given to me was higher than BIS, and very common when it was much less.

My point is that a generalization that the measured BIS MM flyer is superior to the EQM MM flyer may not stand up in all cases.

My UA BIS miles are from eons ago when I did not live in a CO fortress hub. I am completely clueless what my adjustment will be. If they do not adjust it down, I should make the MM with it added in.
Where does superior come in? Different, absolutely, more focused on the metal flown, totally but superior? The sticks arev eally unnecessary and add no value to the discussion.

- there is no way to adjust downwards, where would that even come from?
- bummer you got 50% for some flights, but there are plenty of fare codes, etc situations on both sides where sub 100% eqm are posted, that isn't changing with the one time adjustment. If you got eqm - any - that will now go into the lfetime figure on the UA calc, thats all. With CO, that 50% is already counted, so yes you would be and are ahead of the game.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 2:33 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
Just checked in on my lifetime miles on both UA and CO. I am a whole lot farther than I thought... Pity not much of a reason to think about gunning for it. I read the description that lifetime miles would include some bonuses, but right now my CO account is about double my lifetime miles. I might hit the MM mark in about 20 years at this rate

Last edited by leland; Sep 24, 2011 at 2:34 pm Reason: typos
Old Sep 24, 2011, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA mm, Marriott PLT, Hilton Dia
Where does superior come in? Different
My comment was about the attitude expressed by some flyers, not the program. Obviously, I would have preferred BIS.

bummer you got 50% for some flights
Not some, All. for some time.

You are right. UAInsider did say "boost" which would imply that negative adjustments are not to be given. I thought I remembered the term "adjust".
Old Sep 24, 2011, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Originally Posted by tunneller
For me this is great. Much better than I'd thought. Amazing. I get bumped up to *G for life, as does my wife, and with the roll up up the old UA miles then I'm in striking distance (2014?) of the 2MM.

Nice - I've re-read the fine print twice and all seems to be ok.

I take back everything I said about the merger, and definitely wont mention again them cancelling my flight home from Denver because of a UA/CO computer mix-up.

Regards, T.
p.s. I've seen some grumbling posts about "singles". Nothing in the rules says you can't designate someone as your spouse that year, and change the next. Just need the same street address. That might make you more attractive, certainly not less, to a potential companion de jour.
I'm CO FF and got CO MM this year. I couldn't agree more. CO MM was great, but getting *G for life was a nice surprise.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 4:14 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by BE-58
Trying to understand if this means:

a) My spouse will be aligned to my current MM tier (2MM / Premier Plat at the moment) and upgraded to 1K when I hit 3MM

or

b) My spouse will be aligned to my current annual tier (GS at the moment) or whatever level I happen earn for the year

Thoughts?

Originally Posted by Vulcan
b) is correct
Based on what has been announced it is correct. But, I am not too sure about GS since is a revenue tier and they need to protect that level for the actual GS customers... This revenue tier will inflate with the PPlats and some already/newly minted 4MMers. If they allow GSes to grant spouse GS status then it will easily balloon over 75,000 members for 2012.

So, it is possible that all GS's spouses or significant other will probably get 1K status rather than GS status, but we will see.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 4:26 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Question

I went ual.com to look up my lifetime miles, which I thought were readily seen there, and can't find the balance anywhere. Where are those totals these days??
Old Sep 24, 2011, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by mstraveler
I went ual.com to look up my lifetime miles, which I thought were readily seen there, and can't find the balance anywhere. Where are those totals these days??
Look on the activity screen, its at the top ... Its the second tab, i believe
Old Sep 24, 2011, 4:29 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by mstraveler
It is under the My Activity tab in your Mileage Plus Account.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 1MM at 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
This takes the pressure off of me

I am sitting at 979K with CO and have around 225K with United. This works out better for me since I am 55 and facing declining flying and my wife is not a huge flyer. I had been working through options including at least 8K in Flexible Elite miles from my PP credit card. Since I am staring at silver for next year this is a great deal for me. I have been Platinum maybe 8 out of the last 10 years so this allows me to stop calculating all the ways to make sure that I get the spousal benefit that I was afraid that I would have to grandfather in.

Nearly all of my United miles were earned before I moved near EWR in 1993. I had earned a bunch of miles in the triple mileage in the post strike time in the 1980s. For some of greybeards I wonder how that was included in UA's lifetime calculations
Old Sep 24, 2011, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
I think people are forgetting what the big benefit to lifetime status is: that you can maintain a certain elite level after you stop flying as often, or during flying dry spells. To me, this is the most important aspect of the entire MM program. The one-time and annual awards were just gravy.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 7:29 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Based on what has been announced it is correct. But, I am not too sure about GS since is a revenue tier and they need to protect that level for the actual GS customers... This revenue tier will inflate with the PPlats and some already/newly minted 4MMers. If they allow GSes to grant spouse GS status then it will easily balloon over 75,000 members for 2012.

So, it is possible that all GS's spouses or significant other will probably get 1K status rather than GS status, but we will see.
Possible but I think that GS/1K detail would have been announced if true.
In terms of the number of GS members and/or "protecting" the program, bear in mind that very few families have two road-warrior spouses. The number must be absolutely minuscule. My spouse, as an example, only flies around 12 segments per year so there's really little issue of competition from her.
On the other hand, I do agree that the program (as rolled out in this announcement) is really a downgrade for singles.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UAMM
What do you get as a 1MM flyer next year?

In looking over the list of benefits of being a Premier Gold as a 1MM flyer next year, I found the following benefits and missing benefits to be most telling for me.

1. CPUs - which will be very difficult to redeem unless one remains a 1K, so I'm not too excited.
2. No RPUs or GPUs as in the past for 1MM - the biggest disappointment for me. Probably a game changer for me. Having them would actually cause me to fly United MORE rather than less.
3. 50% mileage bonus instead of 100% currently. A significant downgrade but not a deal breaker.
4. 500 mile minimum PQM accrual, a plus, but pretty minimal plus.
5. More availability of Saver Awards, a plus, but not in F/C, a minus.
6. $25 fee for close-in and award change fee. A real negative.
7. $100 award redeposit fee. What justifies this? Another big negative.
8. International flights lounge access - but I have this through lifetime CO lounge access, but a big plus otherwise.
9. Access to E+ at booking, a real plus.
10. No fee same day flight change, a real plus.
11. $25 phone service fee - a major negative, especially given the .com problems
12. No dedicated phone line. Double trouble to pay to talk to ICC. Insult to injury. A deal breaker for me.
13. And finally, at number lucky 13, the spousal benefit. No use to me at all and not having the choice to get RPUs and GPUs instead, is the most irritating "big brother" move by United. Probably more than anything the one thing that pushes me out of my 1K habit with UA. Perhaps I should thank them.

Last edited by nor4; Sep 24, 2011 at 8:23 pm Reason: Added no dedicated phone service item.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 9:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nor4
2. No RPUs or GPUs as in the past for 1MM - the biggest disappointment for me. Probably a game changer for me. Having them would actually cause me to fly United MORE rather than less. ...
Other than the one time GPUs, you are talking about the the loss of 2 annual CR1/RPUs -- personally I would rank this far below the loss of the 100% RDM bonus which you rank as not a deal breaker.
Originally Posted by nor4
12. No dedicated phone line. Double trouble to pay to talk to ICC. Insult to injury. A deal breaker for me. ...
1Ps are not routed to ICC

and as far as the fees you referenced, they are less or same for 1MMs as Premier Gold in 2012 then they were in 2011 1MM as 1Ps.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Vulcan
b) is correct
More precisely, the spouse will have the higher of the member's current tier for the current year or the member's life time status.

E.g. A member flies zero eqms in year 2013, but has lifetime 1p. The spouse and the member are 1p in 2014.

E.g. A member flies 75k eqms in year 2013, but has lifetime 1p. The spouse and the member are 0p in 2014.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.