FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012
Old Sep 24, 2011, 2:16 pm
travel.flier
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
Does UA hate single people?

When I first heard the news of the changes, I was very excited - United did a great job off really making us paranoid w/leaking the changes to Lucky's blog. And when it turned out to be smaller devaluations, I was jumping for joy.

As I've digested the news, it's apparent that for MM benefits, single people really get the shaft. Not only did we lose our 100% bonus miles as 1p for life (okay every gets that), or become 4th from the top instead of 3rd (GS, 1k, 0p then 1p), but the regional upgrades + SWU's were taken away in exchange for a spousal benefit.

Well great if you have a spouse. And if you don't, then you kind of got screwed. It seems like UACO could have done a much better job making this piece more equitable with little to no cost. I propose one of 2 options:

1) a companion status match which can be changed every year (kind of like the 3p nomination, but in this case they get nominated to whatever status you are), and forget the "must live at same address" nonsense.

2) 2 annual regional upgrades

Honestly, neither of those seems like it would have a huge cost to UA - in fact they were already giving away 2 CR1's. Allowing it to be any companion of choice and not limit it to a "spouse" whatever their definition is would be a nice way not to discriminate.

If you agree, please write to 1k voice and express your opinion.