Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
deleted
Print Wikipost

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2011, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by GoingAway
I thought it was pretty clear that it was in Q1 12, but there wasn't a specific date they were willing to publish.
Yes, that's it. But the OP was asking if a specific date had been announced.
I'm still hoping for a breakdown of *exactly* what goes into the bonus. Everyone knows what "base eqm" means, but "bonus eqm" is a bit vague. Does every kind of bonus count? Including elite bonus miles? or just COS? DEQM?
Old Sep 23, 2011, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by joanek
Yes, that's it. But the OP was asking if a specific date had been announced.
I'm still hoping for a breakdown of *exactly* what goes into the bonus. Everyone knows what "base eqm" means, but "bonus eqm" is a bit vague. Does every kind of bonus count? Including elite bonus miles? or just COS? DEQM?
It's whatever UA flyers didn't get calculated in their lifetime mileage that CO flyers did - this is all about equalization. So -

- COS EQM bonuses (NOT any RDM bonus from yigh yield flights)
- Credit card EQM (NOT RDM)
- *A flights
- EQM promotions (double/triple, Choices program, etc.)
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:09 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by GBman
First time post, long time reader (as follows from 6 million+ lifetime BIS miles on assorted carriers, most now gone to the big sky beyond).

I agree with an emerging thread of thought here that, in my words, United has missed a key marketing point for 2MMers. Though getting from 3MM to 4MM to get lifetime Global Services is enticing (and clever), there isn't enough incentive (I think) in the new program to move to the next MM once you've hit 2MM.

Take me (of course). I will finish the year at 1.95MM (BIS). I've looked and there's no way I can get the remaining 50k miles to get lifetime RCC, which like others I have been shooting for. It's in theory a $7.5k or so benefit; would cost maybe $4k in mileage runs to get there in time (but don't have the time even if I wanted to spend the money). Naturally I am disappointed to miss this benefit by 2% of needed miles before cut-off at the end of 2011. (Of course between the EQM gross-up and the combination with CO, I will easily exceed 2MM in the new program in January, but without the RCC.)

Now, is a $7.5k benefit reason enough to have dedicated 1MM to UA over 5-10 years? Not rationally, but consumers are funny and we do things like that. Truthfully, other posters are right: Under the old program I kept going to get to RCC. In the new program, there seems to me enough incentive for many to aim to get from 1MM to 2MM (real upgrade benefits, waived fees, etc. - as long as those goal posts don't move before attaining the extra MM). But in many ways the new 2MM is the old 1MM. Once you're there (at the new 2MM), why aim for 3MM?

I realize there would have been howls if UA had shifted lifetime RCC from 2MM to 3MM, but that would have maintained an incentive for loyal consumer activity. As it is, the lifetime shift from Platinum to 1K - without those magic annual 1K GPUs - just isn't enough IMHO to shoot for from 2MM to 3MM. A slight bump in priority, but if you aren't flying enough in your life at that point to annually earn 1K it's not a huge benefit. And the 4MM GS incentive is too far away for those of us at 2MM to necessarily shoot at.

So, while I admire how UA didn't botch the merged lifetime MM program (and my wife is happy about spouse benefits), I am at 2MM, really left now only with an annual decision of whether my 1K of flying is best spent with UA that year or with someone else. There's nothing at the 3MM benefits level (without the old guaranteed 6 GPUs) I care enough about to inspire rational or irrational devotion over the next MM. On the other hand, if I'd earned the RCC benefit at 2MM, I might have wanted to fly UA to be near the club at airports (again rationally I can pay $50 each club visit - much cheaper than flying millions of miles to have earned free admission - but consumers are weird, or at least I guess I am).

This is only one person's view - anecdote, not data - but it's real. I like UA, and I appreciate the lifetime benefits (just like my 3MM on American), but they haven't given me a reason to aim for the next level and by taking away the RCC they haven't kept me in physical proximity to the airline. E+ may keep me around, but I'm certainly going to experiment.

Sorry to be long-winded. Years of pent-up words.
GBman, I'm in a similar situation, and expect to have 1.93MM United Lifetime miles. On Wednesday, I sent an email asking 2 basic questions.

First, when CO miles are added on Dec 31, 2011, will that be considered in the 2011 2MM program. Specifically, if you have enough CO miles and it pushes you over 2MM, will you achieve RCC membership for life.

Second, if not, for those who are close to achieving the 2MM RCC for life threshold, can there be a "grace period" to achieve this during 2012? I stated the exact issue, saying that 3 months was not enough time to alter my travel plans to get to 2MM.

Yesterday, I received the following response, "If you reach two million miles on your United Mileage Plus account by December 31, 2011 you would receive the Red Carpet Club membership for life. So combining your Mileage Plus and Continental lifetime miles will not get you the Red Carpet Club membership for life."

They did not address my second question.

I sent a reply email asking again if they would consider extending the RCC for life premium @ 2MM United miles through 2012. I understand that United has the right to change their rules, but allowing only 3 months to achieve this goal is not enough time (at least for a handful of members).

I'm hoping that United gets enough feedback to reconsider to delay the implementation of the new 2012 rules (i.e. keep 2011 rules for another year, and make the new rules effective in 2013).

I recall they pushed back the implmentation of the CR1 rules (2 CR1's starting at 75k) for a year after receiving enough complaints. I'm hoping that the same happens for the 2MM RCC membership for life opportunity.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Are the plans and EQMs going to be combined on 12/31/2011, or at some point early next year? I haven't seen that the miles will be combined technically THIS year.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:24 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by UA Insider
[Here are the n]ew lifetime benefits [and] we think you’ll agree this is the most generous lifetime program in the world. The following will take effect next spring (so please hold tight until then):
  • Continental and United lifetime earnings will be combined. You all guessed that much, but the key will be how we do it. Continental’s lifetime earnings have been EQM-based, and United’s have been based on actual flight miles. Starting in 2012, the program will be based on actual flight miles, however, we will make a one-time adjustment on the United side to boost everyone’s lifetime earnings to EQMs dating back to the beginning of the program
  • Lifetime premier benefits for 1 million miles = Premier Gold, 2 million = Premier Platinum, 3 million = Premier 1K, 4 million = Global Services
  • Million milers will be able to designate a spouse or significant other to always have the same premier tier as them (this includes when the million miler member earns a higher tier). The spousal premier benefits will be identical as the member, except they will not include RPUs and GPUs. This spousal benefit will replace the one-time and annual upgrade gifts, and hopefully you’ll agree this is a better deal
  • Continental’s Infinite Elite members (the limited few of you that earned this back in the early 90’s) will be grandfathered in and given lifetime Premier 1K status, but without the GPUs. We hope you’ll agree this is a generous resolution

Thanks as always for your feedback, and we look forward to answering your questions.

Scott O’Leary
Managing Director, Customer Solutions
United Airlines
Bolding mine: Overall I'm happy with the changes being made but as to the "spousal/significant other" MM benefit (and as others have pointed out), imho, it's like the IRS "marriage penalty" but in reverse for those of us who are single and I'm wondering if there had been any thought about including family members such as parents (hint: goalie-dad or goalie-mom ) or offering something else in lieu of. Just a thought....
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:31 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Fees "waived" ?

Can someone comment more on this under the MM program? Or at least point me in the right direction. Thank you.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by goalie
Bolding mine: Overall I'm happy with the changes being made but as to the "spousal/significant other" MM benefit (and as others have pointed out), imho, it's like the IRS "marriage penalty" but in reverse for those of us who are single and I'm wondering if there had been any thought about including family members such as parents (hint: goalie-dad or goalie-mom ) or offering something else in lieu of. Just a thought....
You can designate whoever you want, just make sure the addresses match.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Can someone comment more on this under the MM program? Or at least point me in the right direction. Thank you.
I'm guessing only 2/3/4MM-ers would get fees waived, as those are Plat and up levels. 1MM (Gold) has to pay fees, but lower amounts than regular 2Ps (Silvers) or GMs.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
goalie, thank you for adding your voice to our chorus. ^

Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
I think I understand your hysteria now. You're misunderstanding what's going to happen here. There's no way the number of elites will virtually double because of the spouse/SO benefit, because that assumes that every current elite is at least a 1 Million Miler, which I assure you is not the case. Secondly, by definition, these status-less spouses/SOs can't fly all that much, because if they did, they would already have elite status of some level. Can the rhetoric be toned down a bit now that it's clear that there won't be massive elite inflation?
It is never fun to be scolded, but I am sorry. I was wrong.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 23, 2011 at 1:57 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:26 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by GoingAway
You can designate whoever you want, just make sure the addresses match.
So that would mean I either move in with my parents or they move in with me but that does create an issue in the MP profile if there is a stored credit card as the addresses won't match

Originally Posted by Firewind
goalie, thank you for adding your voice to our chorus. ^
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
So in regards to fees being waived we are only talking about close in or redeposit fees for awards which at present 1ks enjoy. ?
Old Sep 23, 2011, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Markie
The shame is that at 3MM and 1K for life, all you get is a higher upgrade priority. Without 100k miles a year there will be no SWU's. This I was pointing out some months ago. Time for an email - although I doubt it will do any good.
Agree! The game is just not as much fun as it used to be...after 35+ years of loyalty to UA, my wife and I have been anticipating those SWUs to use in our retirement (we are both 3MMs...and maybe 4MMs after the adjustment) Now, we will find decent fares on better carriers with "true" premium economy or discounted business class.

Loyalty is the big loser with these changes!
Old Sep 23, 2011, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
So in regards to fees being waived we are only talking about close in or redeposit fees for awards which at present 1ks enjoy. ?
http://mileageplusmergerupdates.com/...2MPStatusChart
Old Sep 23, 2011, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
For those who are close but not close enough to 2MM and want lifetime RCC, considering the costs of tickets and flying to get there, and figuring there may not be enough time to make it by EOY - have you considered biting the bullet TODAY to do this?

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...nge/rates.aspx

Note the lifetime options which will disappear very very soon - but they are still available.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 4:03 pm

Thank you for the link.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.