Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Refunds for E+ / Preferred fees (upgrades, seat changes, cancellations, ...) [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 7, 2013, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Economy Plus FAQs

Can I get a refund for my Economy Plus purchase if I no longer want it on my trip?

No. Economy Plus purchases are nonrefundable unless the ticket is refunded or canceled prior to travel.

If I buy Economy Plus seating, can I select a different Economy Plus seat prior to travel?

Yes. If the price of the new seat is equal to or less than the original purchase price then there will be no refund or additional charges. If the price of the new seat is greater than the price of the originally purchased seat, then the original price will be refunded and the new seat must be purchased in full.

Will my Economy Plus purchase be refunded if I cancel my trip?

Yes. In the event of a ticket refund or cancellation, Economy Plus purchases will be automatically refunded.

What will happen if I purchased Economy Plus seating but want to change my flights?

In the event of a voluntary change to a trip, Economy Plus purchases will be automatically refunded. If the ticket is partially used at the time of the change, only the value of the unused Economy Plus seating will be refunded.

What happens to my Economy Plus purchase if I get upgraded?

In the event of an upgrade, with some exclusions, purchased Economy Plus seating for the upgraded segment(s) will be automatically refunded. Exclusions include Complimentary Premier Upgrades and cases where a customer is reaccommodated into a seat of similar or greater value due to an aircraft change or other operational issue.

What happens if my itinerary changes due to a cancellation or schedule change?

In the event of any involuntary changes, such as rebooking due to a cancellation or schedule change, United will, if available, transfer the Economy Plus seating to your new flight(s) free of charge. If we are unable to accommodate you in Economy Plus, the Economy Plus purchase will be automatically refunded after flight departure. If you are re-accommodated on another airline per United’s policies, your purchase of Economy Plus seating for that portion of the itinerary will be automatically refunded.

I purchased Economy Plus, but I didn’t get to sit in an Economy Plus seat. Will I receive a refund?

Yes. If we are unable to accommodate you in Economy Plus, the Economy Plus purchase price will be automatically refunded after flight departure.

What is the deadline to request a refund for my Economy Plus purchase?

For Economy Plus refunds that aren’t issued automatically, you must submit your request within 90 days of the later of the following two dates: i) the date when the fee was originally paid; or ii) the flight date.If we were unable to accommodate you in Economy Plus or a seat of similar or greater value, and you received a new boarding pass, then the refund for the Economy Plus purchase price will be issued automatically. If you were not issued a new boarding pass, please submit a request through our Refunds page by the deadline specified above.

How long will it take to receive my Economy Plus refund?

Please allow up to seven business days from the date when the refund is issued for the activity to post to your credit card. If the refund does not post within one billing cycle, please contact your credit card company for information. For all other forms of payment, please allow up to 20 days for a refund to be processed. If you do not see a credit post within these time frames, please submit a refund request at united.com/refunds. All refunds are credited to the original form of payment used.
related thread : UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [2016 Consolidated]

Preferred seat refunds (changed flights, upgraded, purchased E+, ...)

Archive: Refunds for E+ / Preferred fees (upgrades, seat changes, cancellations, ...){Archive}
Print Wikipost

Refunds for E+ / Preferred fees (upgrades, seat changes, cancellations, ...) [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2022, 12:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kathode
.. I'm taking a cross-country flight for work, and got booked into a basic economy seat,
Do you mean a "regular" economy seat? Basic Economy tickets are not upgradeable

Originally Posted by kathode
..I want to upgrade and have multiple options available.
I am able to use miles + cash to get on the waitlist for first class, which I did. However, I have little faith in getting off the waitlist. So instead of waiting in basic economy thinking that I'll get bumped up, I am thinking I should use cash to upgrade to an economy plus seat.

My question is, in the off chance that there's room and I get into a first class seat, will my cash upgrade to economy plus get refunded?
Yes, UA explicitly states that the E+ fee will be refunded if upgraded by miles/copy or other supported method.

just a side note, elites are eligible for complimentary premier upgrades (CPU) in some cases and if they paid E+ fee, that will not be refunded on CPU
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 10:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Economy Plus Seat refund?

I paid for a seat upgrade but later cancelled the flight. I thought I had read on FlyerTalk that the fee for the seat upgrade would be refunded to the original form of payment after the scheduled flight, which is now over two weeks ago. It has not been refunded. Do I need to be more patient or take some action?

Gory details. I made a flight reservation but needed to cancel the flight. I used that credit plus additional money to make another reservation that is the subject of this post. It was on this reservation that I paid for the seat upgrade, with more additional money. About two months before the flight, I decided to cancel it. I received a credit which I have used for yet another flight (yet to be flown). The credit did not include the seat upgrade fee. Although I believe I read on FT that I could call and request a refund of the seat upgrade fee, I also thought I read that it would be automatic after the flight had flown, and I decided to wait. Now, when I search My trips at united.com, I can see the PNR for the the cancelled flight. But when I click on the PNR or the associated "View details" link, I get a message "Your confirmation number, a 6 character alphanumeric code, and/or last name is not valid." What should I do?

Thank you.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 10:21 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by serpens
I paid for a seat upgrade but later cancelled the flight. I thought I had read on FlyerTalk that the fee for the seat upgrade would be refunded to the original form of payment after the scheduled flight, which is now over two weeks ago. It has not been refunded. Do I need to be more patient or take some action?

...Although I believe I read on FT that I could call and request a refund of the seat upgrade fee, I also thought I read that it would be automatic after the flight had flown, and I decided to wait......
For some reason, seat fees on cancelled flights are not automatically refunded until the day of the flight. If you want earlier, you need to call or wait til the automatic refund.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 10:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
For some reason, seat fees on cancelled flights are not automatically refunded until the day of the flight. If you want earlier, you need to call or wait til the automatic refund.
Thank you, but I said that the flight was over two weeks ago. Should the automatic refund take over two weeks? Did I misunderstand your response?
Old Sep 11, 2022, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by serpens
Thank you, but I said that the flight was over two weeks ago. Should the automatic refund take over two weeks? Did I misunderstand your response?
Sorry I read that as referring to the first flight not the second.

Credit card refund can take 10+ days to show but you are getting to the outlimits of a reasonable wait. I might be inclined to give a couple days and then file a refund request.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 11:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Sorry I read that as referring to the first flight not the second.
I should have been more clear. Communication can be difficult.
Credit card refund can take 10+ days to show but you are getting to the outlimits of a reasonable wait. I might be inclined to give a couple days and then file a refund request.
Thanks, and thank you for the link to the refund page at the web site.
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 10:42 pm

Process for Economy Plus Refunds For Cancelled Flight

For a recent trip, we used a United award to book YQB (Quebec City) to YUL, YUL to IAD, and then IAD to SMF. The first two segments were on Air Canada, with the final segment being on UA. We purchased Economy Plus seats for the long UA segment.

Air Canada then cancelled the YUL to IAD segment, apparently due to insufficient crew members. Air Canada then rebooked us YUL-SFO, and then SFO-SMF. This was at my suggestion, although later it occurred to me that a connection via Chicago might have been another alternative. But, I was acting proactively as is often encouraged on this forum, rather than leaving it up to the agent to find something.

The question now is whether I get back the $309 we paid for the two Economy Plus seats on the flight we could not take (IAD-SMF). What is the process for that? Do I have to make a request, or does this happen automatically?

t appears that AC changed our reservation to remove the two unflown segments from the PNR. Interestingly, they only added in the new YUL-SFO segment, even though they gave us boarding passes ("seat assignment at gate") for SFO-SMF. That created its own problems when we got to SFO (including absence of Pre-Chek) and it took intervention by the Help Desk to apparently create a separate PNR for that segment when we tried to check in. Almost missed that flight, but it worked out. Amazingly, checked baggage made it to SMF without a problem.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
The question now is whether I get back the $309 we paid for the two Economy Plus seats on the flight we could not take (IAD-SMF). What is the process for that? Do I have to make a request, or does this happen automatically?....
If you take no action, it should be refunded after the departure date BUT you can call and request an earlier refund,
Old Oct 8, 2022, 9:40 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
[...]
The question now is whether I get back the $309 we paid for the two Economy Plus seats on the flight we could not take (IAD-SMF). What is the process for that? Do I have to make a request, or does this happen automatically?
[...]
If you take no action, it should be refunded after the departure date BUT you can call and request an earlier refund,
In a similar situation, 17 days after departure date, I had not received the refund. At WineCountryUA's suggestion (thanks for providing the URL!), I submitted a refund request and received the refund within two days. Maybe it would have happened anyway.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 9:50 pm

Another Economy Plus Question: On another future award flight, SMF-VIE on 12/27, we purchased Economy Plus seats for the SMF-ORD segment at a cost of $251. United has now rebooked us SMF-DEN, DEN-FRA (and FRA-VIE on Austrian). What is supposed to happen in this situation? It seems complicated because the amount we paid does not match what Economy Plus would cost on the new UA segments. Is there to be an automatic refund of the amount we paid, or is this treated as a credit toward the purchase of new EP seats on the new flights? Again, this is not a choice we made, but rather due to United canceling our original choice of flights, SMF-ORD.

As it turns out, an agent assigned us EP seats on SMF-DEN, which appear to be valued at $183. We were also placed in so-called preferred seats on DEN-FRA, which appear to have a value of $76. So, at the moment, we seem to be a bit ahead, having paid $251 but getting seats valued at $183 + $76, or $259. No one asked for the missing $8.

Ultimately, we would like exit row seats on DEN-FRA, which appear to be valued at $522 ($267 and $255). It seems this might require intervention of an agent, as I think it is doubtful that the computer would know all these details..What is the appropriate thing to do here?
Old Jan 21, 2023, 11:07 pm

Programs: Does it matter any more?
Aircraft swap. Paid seat now pushed to back of plane. Refund seat fee?

My SFO-ORD used to be a 777. I paid for a specific seat. 12 hrs before departure I got a text that the aircraft has been swapped (to a 787). I am now at the back of the aircraft.
Am I entitled to a refund of my seat selection fee? How do I ask for the refund?

(I searched, but there are too many threads on "aircraft swap" that I can't dig through them all)
Old Jan 21, 2023, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by legionnaire
My SFO-ORD used to be a 777. I paid for a specific seat. 12 hrs before departure I got a text that the aircraft has been swapped (to a 787). I am now at the back of the aircraft.
Am I entitled to a refund of my seat selection fee? How do I ask for the refund?

(I searched, but there are too many threads on "aircraft swap" that I can't dig through them all)
yes.

this should happen automatically, but not until after the flight takes off, and it would take a few days to process.

if you want it quicker, some have had success going to the refunds page online, and requesting it there. Given your swap came so close to departure, I suspect that you’re no better off doing this manually, and just waiting for the refund to come through, since it might already be in process. If it’s not there within a week after departure, I’d go back and file it online.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 11:58 am

Programs: Does it matter any more?
Thanks. Added a reminder to check back in a week
Old Apr 7, 2023, 3:19 pm

Changing Flight - Where Does Refund Go?

I want to change a flight I booked for my niece. I paid to upgrade her to E+. On the re-booked flight, I have to buy E+ again but it shows there will be a refund for the first flight's upgrade.

My question is - Where does the refund go? Back to my credit card or as a United credit under my niece's name?
Old Apr 7, 2023, 3:51 pm

E+ refund for flight change goes to the original method of purchase-- credit card. No a UA credit.

Note the refund is normally provided after the original flight date but calling can get an earlier refund

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 7, 2023 at 3:59 pm Reason: calling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.