Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Refunds for E+ / Preferred fees (upgrades, seat changes, cancellations, ...) [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 7, 2013, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Economy Plus FAQs

Can I get a refund for my Economy Plus purchase if I no longer want it on my trip?

No. Economy Plus purchases are nonrefundable unless the ticket is refunded or canceled prior to travel.

If I buy Economy Plus seating, can I select a different Economy Plus seat prior to travel?

Yes. If the price of the new seat is equal to or less than the original purchase price then there will be no refund or additional charges. If the price of the new seat is greater than the price of the originally purchased seat, then the original price will be refunded and the new seat must be purchased in full.

Will my Economy Plus purchase be refunded if I cancel my trip?

Yes. In the event of a ticket refund or cancellation, Economy Plus purchases will be automatically refunded.

What will happen if I purchased Economy Plus seating but want to change my flights?

In the event of a voluntary change to a trip, Economy Plus purchases will be automatically refunded. If the ticket is partially used at the time of the change, only the value of the unused Economy Plus seating will be refunded.

What happens to my Economy Plus purchase if I get upgraded?

In the event of an upgrade, with some exclusions, purchased Economy Plus seating for the upgraded segment(s) will be automatically refunded. Exclusions include Complimentary Premier Upgrades and cases where a customer is reaccommodated into a seat of similar or greater value due to an aircraft change or other operational issue.

What happens if my itinerary changes due to a cancellation or schedule change?

In the event of any involuntary changes, such as rebooking due to a cancellation or schedule change, United will, if available, transfer the Economy Plus seating to your new flight(s) free of charge. If we are unable to accommodate you in Economy Plus, the Economy Plus purchase will be automatically refunded after flight departure. If you are re-accommodated on another airline per United’s policies, your purchase of Economy Plus seating for that portion of the itinerary will be automatically refunded.

I purchased Economy Plus, but I didn’t get to sit in an Economy Plus seat. Will I receive a refund?

Yes. If we are unable to accommodate you in Economy Plus, the Economy Plus purchase price will be automatically refunded after flight departure.

What is the deadline to request a refund for my Economy Plus purchase?

For Economy Plus refunds that aren’t issued automatically, you must submit your request within 90 days of the later of the following two dates: i) the date when the fee was originally paid; or ii) the flight date.If we were unable to accommodate you in Economy Plus or a seat of similar or greater value, and you received a new boarding pass, then the refund for the Economy Plus purchase price will be issued automatically. If you were not issued a new boarding pass, please submit a request through our Refunds page by the deadline specified above.

How long will it take to receive my Economy Plus refund?

Please allow up to seven business days from the date when the refund is issued for the activity to post to your credit card. If the refund does not post within one billing cycle, please contact your credit card company for information. For all other forms of payment, please allow up to 20 days for a refund to be processed. If you do not see a credit post within these time frames, please submit a refund request at united.com/refunds. All refunds are credited to the original form of payment used.
related thread : UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [2016 Consolidated]

Preferred seat refunds (changed flights, upgraded, purchased E+, ...)

Archive: Refunds for E+ / Preferred fees (upgrades, seat changes, cancellations, ...){Archive}
Print Wikipost

Refunds for E+ / Preferred fees (upgrades, seat changes, cancellations, ...) [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2022, 4:45 pm

Booked next week on IAD-SFO. At booking this flight was operated by a 788. I selected and paid for an E+ seat in the PP section (although not marketed as such) for $189. Aircraft has been downgraded to a 764. I was re-accommodated in a different E+ seat, but the purchase price was really only worth it to me to be in a PP seat (yes, I understand it wasn't guaranteed because it wasn't marketed, and I didn't pay for, a PP seat on this route). I understand a refund just because of an aircraft swap is not going to happen. However, because the aircraft swap was accompanied by a schedule change I can change the flight for free. If I change to another flight and select an E- seat would I be refunded for the original E+ purchase? If I change to another flight and want to select another, cheaper E+ seat would I get any differential refunded?
Old Mar 24, 2022, 5:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BrianCUnited
... If I change to another flight and select an E- seat would I be refunded for the original E+ purchase? ...
yes

... IIf I change to another flight and want to select another, cheaper E+ seat would I get any differential refunded?
Yes, but generally you pay the new fee and get refunded the old. Refunds use to take until day of travel, but recent reports are sooner.

If you do the change with an agent, the can get the credit immediate and refund the difference
Old May 18, 2022, 8:16 pm

Programs: Free agent, UA 1K, Bonvoy Gold
I paid for Mr. bioyuki's E+ seat, but I ended up changing him to an earlier flight where E+ is unavailable. Will I get the $39 back as a refund, a FFC, or is that money just gone?
Old May 18, 2022, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bioyuki
I paid for Mr. bioyuki's E+ seat, but I ended up changing him to an earlier flight where E+ is unavailable. Will I get the $39 back as a refund, a FFC, or is that money just gone?
The E+ fee should be refunded automatically after travel is complete.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 24, 2022, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
yes

Yes, but generally you pay the new fee and get refunded the old. Refunds use to take until day of travel, but recent reports are sooner.

If you do the change with an agent, the can get the credit immediate and refund the difference
Following up on this - I SDC'd back onto the original flight (into an E- seat) and did not receive an automatic refund. I requested one on the refunds page and immediately received an offer for a travel voucher, or to send the refund to an agent for processing within 10-14 days. So, as others have said here, you may not get an automatic E+ refund even when you're owed it so submitting a refund request is worth it.

yes

Originally Posted by jsloan
The E+ fee should be refunded automatically after travel is complete.
And if it's not automatically refunded within 20 days submit a refund request.
jsloan likes this.
Old May 24, 2022, 11:56 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Following up on this - I SDC'd back onto the original flight (into an E- seat) and did not receive an automatic refund. ...
The SDC back to the original flight probably had something to due will the auto refund issues as the original E+ request was still tied to that flight (it does not get clear until after departure, hence the reason the refund isn't done earlier.)
Old Jul 5, 2022, 11:02 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K
I have an Aeroplan reward booking with a UA segment (LIH-SFO) and onward to YYZ with AC
I purchased Economy Plus for the United segment.
I am most likely going to cancel the whole reward ticket, so questions are:
- am I entitled to a refund of the E+ fee?
- if so, do I need to contact UA?
- will it be processed shortly after the cancellation or after the trip was supposed to happen?
Old Jul 5, 2022, 12:05 pm
RNE

I booked a semi-transcon flight. During booking, I opted to pay $85 for an E+ seat. (I have no status and don't fly enough to make a subscription practical.) Now, I'm toying with upgrading to FC for $255.
Questions:
  1. Does the price I paid for the E+ seat lower the price UA wants for the FC seat? For instance, let's say UA would normally want $340 for a FC upgrade on that flight, but because I already paid $85 they're asking for only $255. Or would the FC upgrade price be the same either way and thus I wasted $85 on the E+ seat if I take the FC upgrade?
  2. Going forward, should I not buy E+ at booking and instead see what options I have for FC afterwards?
Old Jul 5, 2022, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RNE
I booked a semi-transcon flight. During booking, I opted to pay $85 for an E+ seat. (I have no status and don't fly enough to make a subscription practical.) Now, I'm toying with upgrading to FC for $255.
Questions:
  1. Does the price I paid for the E+ seat lower the price UA wants for the FC seat? For instance, let's say UA would normally want $340 for a FC upgrade on that flight, but because I already paid $85 they're asking for only $255. Or would the FC upgrade price be the same either way and thus I wasted $85 on the E+ seat if I take the FC upgrade?
  2. Going forward, should I not buy E+ at booking and instead see what options I have for FC afterwards?
If you buy the F seat, the E+ purchase will be refunded after travel, so I would assume the prices would be the same — but this is United, so who knows?
SPN Lifer and RNE like this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by shawneve
I have an Aeroplan reward booking with a UA segment (LIH-SFO) and onward to YYZ with AC
I purchased Economy Plus for the United segment.
I am most likely going to cancel the whole reward ticket, so questions are:
- am I entitled to a refund of the E+ fee?
- if so, do I need to contact UA?
- will it be processed shortly after the cancellation or after the trip was supposed to happen?
It should get refunded automatically after the schedule departure.
You can call and get an earlier refund.
Occasionally you may need to call anyways -- especially if schedule change / irrops happens to the schedule flight.

More in the thread's wiki
Old Jul 7, 2022, 11:04 pm

Hello,
We have refundable economy tickets. We want to upgrade to economy plus seat for $104. Just wondering if our plan changes and we cancel the tickets, will the $104 refundable also?
TIA
Old Jul 8, 2022, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by tiffany
Hello,
We have refundable economy tickets. We want to upgrade to economy plus seat for $104. Just wondering if our plan changes and we cancel the tickets, will the $104 refundable also?
TIA
Yes but not because of the refundable ticket but because E+ access fees are refundable on cancellation.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 10:04 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K
It should get refunded automatically after the schedule departure.
You can call and get an earlier refund.
Occasionally you may need to call anyways -- especially if schedule change / irrops happens to the schedule flight.
More in the thread's wiki
I cancelled my itinerary. Does it get refunded automatically upon cancellation or do i have to wait until after the scheduled flight?

Last edited by shawneve; Jul 20, 2022 at 12:57 pm
Old Jul 20, 2022, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by shawneve
I cancelled my itinerary. Does it get refunded automatically upon cancellation or do i have to wait until after the scheduled flight?
The default is refund after the original departure. Calling can get the refund sooner.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 12:04 pm

Question Does my cash upgrade refund if my miles upgrade waitlist triggers?

Hi!
I'm taking a cross-country flight for work, and got booked into a basic economy seat. I want to upgrade and have multiple options available.
I am able to use miles + cash to get on the waitlist for first class, which I did. However, I have little faith in getting off the waitlist. So instead of waiting in basic economy thinking that I'll get bumped up, I am thinking I should use cash to upgrade to an economy plus seat.

My question is, in the off chance that there's room and I get into a first class seat, will my cash upgrade to economy plus get refunded?
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.