Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Refunds for E+ / Preferred fees (upgrades, seat changes, cancellations, ...){Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Refunds for E+ / Preferred fees (upgrades, seat changes, cancellations, ...) [Merged]

Economy Plus FAQs

Can I get a refund for my Economy Plus purchase if I no longer want it on my trip?

No. Economy Plus purchases are nonrefundable unless the ticket is refunded or canceled prior to travel.

If I buy Economy Plus seating, can I select a different Economy Plus seat prior to travel?

Yes. If the price of the new seat is equal to or less than the original purchase price then there will be no refund or additional charges. If the price of the new seat is greater than the price of the originally purchased seat, then the original price will be refunded and the new seat must be purchased in full.

Will my Economy Plus purchase be refunded if I cancel my trip?

Yes. In the event of a ticket refund or cancellation, Economy Plus purchases will be automatically refunded.

What will happen if I purchased Economy Plus seating but want to change my flights?

In the event of a voluntary change to a trip, Economy Plus purchases will be automatically refunded. If the ticket is partially used at the time of the change, only the value of the unused Economy Plus seating will be refunded.

What happens to my Economy Plus purchase if I get upgraded?

In the event of an upgrade, with some exclusions, purchased Economy Plus seating for the upgraded segment(s) will be automatically refunded. Exclusions include Complimentary Premier Upgrades and cases where a customer is reaccommodated into a seat of similar or greater value due to an aircraft change or other operational issue.

What happens if my itinerary changes due to a cancellation or schedule change?

In the event of any involuntary changes, such as rebooking due to a cancellation or schedule change, United will, if available, transfer the Economy Plus seating to your new flight(s) free of charge. If we are unable to accommodate you in Economy Plus, the Economy Plus purchase will be automatically refunded after flight departure. If you are re-accommodated on another airline per United’s policies, your purchase of Economy Plus seating for that portion of the itinerary will be automatically refunded.

I purchased Economy Plus, but I didn’t get to sit in an Economy Plus seat. Will I receive a refund?

Yes. If we are unable to accommodate you in Economy Plus, the Economy Plus purchase price will be automatically refunded after flight departure.

What is the deadline to request a refund for my Economy Plus purchase?

For Economy Plus refunds that aren’t issued automatically, you must submit your request within 90 days of the later of the following two dates: i) the date when the fee was originally paid; or ii) the flight date.If we were unable to accommodate you in Economy Plus or a seat of similar or greater value, and you received a new boarding pass, then the refund for the Economy Plus purchase price will be issued automatically. If you were not issued a new boarding pass, please submit a request through our Refunds page by the deadline specified above.

How long will it take to receive my Economy Plus refund?

Please allow up to seven business days from the date when the refund is issued for the activity to post to your credit card. If the refund does not post within one billing cycle, please contact your credit card company for information. For all other forms of payment, please allow up to 20 days for a refund to be processed. If you do not see a credit post within these time frames, please submit a refund request at united.com/refunds. All refunds are credited to the original form of payment used.
related thread : UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [2016 Consolidated]

Preferred seat refunds (changed flights, upgraded, purchased E+, ...)
Print Wikipost

Refunds for E+ / Preferred fees (upgrades, seat changes, cancellations, ...){Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2011, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum (2.4MM), DL Gold, Marriott Gold, Starwood Platinum (Lifetime), Hilton Gold

Hi

I recently purchased an international flight for my mother and grandmother. At first I thought it would be nice to get them the extra legroom seats so I chose that for one of the legs and paid $109 plus fees per seat.

I now decided to use 2 SWUs from a friend to upgrade them. Can I get a refund for the purchase of the extra legroom seats since they will not be in those seats after the upgrade?

Thanks
Old Sep 6, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
The terms and conditions of purchase would allow you a refund if you purchased an upgrade but with a SWU I don't think so.

"Economy Plus purchase is nonrefundable unless Economy Plus is not available for the flights on receipt or an upgrade to a Premium Cabin is later purchased."

Just call and ask them for a refund. You might tell them you've upgraded, not mention the SWU and see what happens.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: UA S/AGR S+/MR G/SW CP/AA Plat
You can request the refund online here:

http://www.united.com/page/genericpa...kTitle=refunds

I have done this before for relatives where I upgraded them after they bought E+.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 11:44 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CO_Bulkhead
.... Can I get a refund for the purchase of the extra legroom seats since they will not be in those seats after the upgrade?...
was this on UA or CO metal?
Old Sep 26, 2011, 7:59 am
Suspended

Pay for E+ then do miles upgrade... refund of E+ fee?

Shouldn't I get that fee back? Of significance, the only available seats for assignment at time of purchase were E+ seats. A few days later I upgraded to FC because it was a transcon.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 8:58 am

Programs: DL GM, AA PLT.
Is purchase of E+ refundable?

I've been given conflicting advice on this by UA agents, so would be grateful for any input.

I was due to fly CRW-IAD-LHR a week or so ago. I had bought E+ on the IAD-LHR leg.

Having got to CRW, I volunteered to take flights the next day, due to CRW-IAD being oversold. When re-booked, I noticed that IAD-LHR the next day was now in E-. 'No problem,' said the CRW UA agent, 'just mention it to me tomorrow when you get to the airport, and I'll re-assign you an E+ seat.'

So, I arrive the next day, to find the UA agent in question had gone home for the day, and the sole agent remaining (CO employee - I'm not sure there is a distinction anymore, but they still wear differing uniforms at CRW) knew nothing of this. He suggested I ask in IAD.

I ask a lounge dragon in IAD, who advises me to purchase E+ and then resolve it when I get home. Faced with an E- middle, I do exactly that. The dragon suggested that the original E+ purchase would be refunded.

Having spoken with the call centre (what fun that was), they suggest that the original purchase is not refundable.

I know it's only $89, but given I helped UA out by giving up my seat, I would have thought even if they have a non-refund policy there ought to be some flexibility in such a situation.

Thanks in advance for any opinions/advice.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 9:06 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by rpjepson
I've been given conflicting advice on this by UA agents, so would be grateful for any input.

I was due to fly CRW-IAD-LHR a week or so ago. I had bought E+ on the IAD-LHR leg.

Having got to CRW, I volunteered to take flights the next day, due to CRW-IAD being oversold. When re-booked, I noticed that IAD-LHR the next day was now in E-. 'No problem,' said the CRW UA agent, 'just mention it to me tomorrow when you get to the airport, and I'll re-assign you an E+ seat.'

So, I arrive the next day, to find the UA agent in question had gone home for the day, and the sole agent remaining (CO employee - I'm not sure there is a distinction anymore, but they still wear differing uniforms at CRW) knew nothing of this. He suggested I ask in IAD.

I ask a lounge dragon in IAD, who advises me to purchase E+ and then resolve it when I get home. Faced with an E- middle, I do exactly that. The dragon suggested that the original E+ purchase would be refunded.

Having spoken with the call centre (what fun that was), they suggest that the original purchase is not refundable.

I know it's only $89, but given I helped UA out by giving up my seat, I would have thought even if they have a non-refund policy there ought to be some flexibility in such a situation.

What this boils down to is that you paid for the same thing twice but only got to use it once. Contact the refunds department..you are owed a refund of one of the fees you paid.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 9:07 am

Programs: UA 2MM/*A Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, WN A-List, Hertz Platinum, IHG Platinum
What a mess. You should have gotten the previous agent's name before you left on the first day.

I bought my daughter E+ on a long haul flight once and then the SWU cleared and bumped her to C. I was able to get them to refund my E+ purchase but they always say it's because I'm 1K & GS.

Standard UA policy on E+ is no refunds unless oversell situation or equipment change with no E+ (which AFAIK doesn't exist in UA mainline non-regional fleet, but CRJ to E120).

Sad to say, if you don't have any status with UACO, it's probably lost $$$. You did at least get DBC though, right??
Old Oct 30, 2011, 9:14 am

Programs: DL GM, AA PLT.
I got $400 in vouchers.

Oh, and my bag ended up in ATL.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Typically, if you make the change on your own (i.e. cancel your flight because you don't want to go, or change to a different one without E+ available), there are no refunds. In fact, I believe the only way to get a refund is if the flight is canceled by UA or the change is their fault (i.e. MX), or you apply for and receive an upgrade to C/F.

That said, being that you volunteered due to UA's needs based on an oversell, you should definitely be entitled to a refund. Go online and apply for a refund, and explain the situation in the area at the bottom to do so.

If for some reason UA denies the refund, I would go to your CC company and dispute the charge.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 10:10 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rpjepson

Go to this site:

https://travel.united.com/erefunds/manualRefund.action

Check "Other" and say it was a VDB on the CRW-IAD flight that changed your flight (don't be too verbose). Let us know what happens.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond, IC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Waitlist for Biz (w/ Miles) AND Buy Up to Econ Plus?

I've got a question for United flyers. My husband and I are booked in economy (T fare) on flight UA968 EWR to MUC in December. I waitlisted for Business yesterday via miles and a copay.

We don't have status so I understand that we may not clear the waitlist. My question is: can I be on the waitlist for business seats and buy up to economy plus at the same time to hedge my bets? Will buying premium economy seats now hurt our chances of clearing the wait list?

Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by AndreaRH; Sep 9, 2012 at 3:08 pm
Old Sep 9, 2012, 2:39 pm

Programs: Ex. Somebody, now a disloyal Nobody
Yes.

Yes, you can do that and if it's important, you should do it (while you get get good E+ seats). If your upgrade clears, you should be able to get a refund for the E+ buy-up. However, it given the current state of UA customer service or IT, I would not count on the refund being automatic (or easy to get).

PS. This is general advice. AKAIK, UA does not operate a flight 968 between EWR and NUE.

Last edited by gregas; Sep 9, 2012 at 2:53 pm Reason: Added PS
Old Sep 9, 2012, 3:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gregas
If your upgrade clears, you should be able to get a refund for the E+ buy-up.
You sure about that?? I do not believe that's the policy.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond, IC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Thanks for the advice, Gregas! And, you're right... the UA flight we're on is EWR to MUC and then we're continuing on to NUE on Lufthansa. I corrected my first post. Have a good day!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.