Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQP ( was Flex PQM)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Benefits unique to the Chase MP Presidential Plus card (closed and not available for new cardholders)
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- FPQMs can only be used to increase PQMs to a max of 75,000. They are not counted once 75K is reached. (example 80K PQMs +10 FPQMs is still 80K total)
- FPQMs cannot be used to earn GPUs or RPUs past 75K PQMs
- FPQMs are held separately and are only used when the owner requests them to be applied to their MP account
FPQMs can be applied for a given year as late as March 31 of the next year
Print Wikipost

General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQP ( was Flex PQM)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by Mary2e
A friend just called and asked for advice and I'm not sure I gave it correctly. I need a fairly quick answer. Thank you.

Scenario -
Grandfathers Presidential Card with about 60k FEQM
Current status - gold
Miles earned this year 20k

He is unsure what to do regarding status.
  • Should he transfer 5k miles this year for silver in 2020?
  • Should he transfer 25k miles in January for status in 2020 & 2021? If so, does he need to also have the 4 flight requirements for silver?

He was going to transfer enough for gold, but I told him there wasn't that much additional benefit between gold & silver, particularly since he rarely gets any upgrades on his flights.
Assuming your friend is the Primary cardholder as FPQMs only apply to that account, I would be comfortable with transferring 5k fpqms now for silver for 2020 because it still leave 11,000 FPQPs for next year. Depending on when those expire he could choose Gold for 2 years or Silver for 3. I would go for the Gold myself.
Mary2e likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I can't thank all of you enough. This is a very good friend and I owe him a lot. Being able to offer him this advice makes ME feel like I'm helping him a bit.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If status is achieved in 2020, it will be good to Jan. 31, 2022
He just told me he may have 4 flights in January...

So to triple check this. For silver gold attained in January:

25k FEQMs
4 flights
No spend requirement

This will get him silver for 2020 & Jan 31 2022

Beyond that, his converted FEQM miles to points will can be used to attain status going forward.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
He just told me he may have 4 flights in January...

So to triple check this. For silver gold attained in January:

25k FEQMs
4 flights
No spend requirement
Your three requirements for Silver status are only appliable to the current program year (January 1 to December 31, 2019). The status earned by December 31, 2019 will be good through January 31, 2021 (1 years plus 1 month).

I do not know the conversion from FEQMs to PQP (Premier Qualifying Points) for the new program year (starting from January 1 2020). The MP program site says: "The United℠ Presidential Plus℠ Card and United℠ Presidential Plus℠ Business Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 10,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to 1K." https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...r/qualify.html

For Premier Silver status, one needs: "12 PQF and 4,000 PQP or 5,000 PQP," where PQF is Premier Qualifying Flight (1 PQF = one taking off/landing).

This will get him silver for 2020 & Jan 31 2022

Beyond that, his converted FEQM miles to points will can be used to attain status going forward.
The status earned during January 1 - December 31, 2020 (calendar year) will be good until January 31, 2022; i.e., approximately 2 years if one earns it in January 2020.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 8:58 am

THANK YOU.

So it appears that silver can be attained in January using 5000 PQP and no PQF. But if the miles aren't converted until April, how can it be done?

I can't believe how confusing this is..........
Old Dec 22, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
THANK YOU.

I can't believe how confusing this is..........
You are welcome. I hope that you said "confusing" about the change of MileagePlus program starting from January 1, 2020. You are not alone in this. It used to just PQM or PQS (segment) to qualify for status.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 9:19 am

Yes, I mean about the changes... your explanations are pretty clear, but because the situations vary, it is hard to put together the new requirements with all the scenarios that may occur.

But in all cases, a minimum of 4 segments for any level of status will be required.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
FPQM to PQP Presidential Plus Card

Originally Posted by 8MiHi
I have a legacy Presidential Plus card that could get up to 10,000 PQPs. Of course that would require $240,000 spend on the card.
I expect to generate around 3,000 PQPs per year. It won't get me to 1K (allowed now!), but it will definitely help with Platinum.
I have a legacy Presidential Plus Chase United Card. I will have 40,000 FPQM in January left over. I know that on Apr 1 2020 the FPQM will convert to PQP at a ratio of 5:1. But what happens before Apr 1? Are the FPQM worth anything in the new 2020 MileagePlus Premier qualification plan? I did not see an answer to this elsewhere but sorry if it has been answered.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Jm0115
I have a legacy Presidential Plus Chase United Card. I will have 40,000 FPQM in January left over. I know that on Apr 1 2020 the FPQM will convert to PQP at a ratio of 5:1. But what happens before Apr 1? Are the FPQM worth anything in the new 2020 MileagePlus Premier qualification plan? I did not see an answer to this elsewhere but sorry if it has been answered.
You can retroactively apply them to earn status for the 2020 calendar year until the end of March.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
You can retroactively apply them to earn status for the 2020 calendar year until the end of March.
I see. That makes sense.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: UA
Gold now before change in 2020? Does it matter?

Long time lurker finally posting something =)

With the status changes coming up, is there any point in waiting to use my FPQM to upgrade to Gold in 2020? In 2019, Gold means you earn miles faster, but that won't matter in 2020. Are there any other listed benefits Gold in 2020?

Basically I am sitting on a bunch of FPQM and can go Gold now or wait until they're converted and go Gold in 2020. Additionally, I was planning a Japan trip so that could add more value to my PQP in 2020?

I'm thinking I should go Gold in 2019, assume some benefits will exist in 2020 for Gold-level purchases, purchase additional trip and (if it's > 5000 PQP), get bumped up to Platinum for the year. Does that sound right?

Thanks as always for everyone's input - I've always learned a lot here!
Old Dec 23, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Have they clarified how the FPQM will change in 2020 because of the program changes? Since status earning is purely money based in 2020, not sure how the FPQMs will factor in. If you become Gold now, you can atleast earn miles faster next year - not sure why it wouldn't matter next year. Redeemable miles are still multiplier based (if on a 016 stock). So if you are a GM, you will earn redeemable miles at 5X Eligible spend, versus at Gold you will be at 8X Eligible Spend. Additionally, if you are Gold now, you can avail E+ seating at booking, Lounge access on international flights, better award availability (and everything that UA "states" a Premier Gold will get)
Old Dec 23, 2019, 2:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hien34
Basically I am sitting on a bunch of FPQM and can go Gold now or wait until they're converted and go Gold in 2020. Additionally, I was planning a Japan trip so that could add more value to my PQP in 2020?

I'm thinking I should go Gold in 2019, assume some benefits will exist in 2020 for Gold-level purchases, purchase additional trip and (if it's > 5000 PQP), get bumped up to Platinum for the year. Does that sound right? ...
If you use FlexPQMs in Dec 2019 to get UA Premier Gold, you will be good until January 31, 2021

If instead you wait until 1 Jan 2020 or later and use the converted FlexPQP to get 2020 Premier Gold, it will be good until January 31, 2022

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Have they clarified how the FPQM will change in 2020 because of the program changes? ...)
Yes, also see discussion in this thread and https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...p-changes.html
8MiHi likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA
Thanks for the reply and good point about the qual year vs. award year, but what if I went into 2020 as Gold and then bought enough tickets (PQP) to go Platinum in 2020 - wouldn't that mean I can stay Platinum through Jan 2022 since my status change (Gold > Plat) was in 2020?
Old Dec 24, 2019, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by hien34
Thanks for the reply and good point about the qual year vs. award year, but what if I went into 2020 as Gold and then bought enough tickets (PQP) to go Platinum in 2020 - wouldn't that mean I can stay Platinum through Jan 2022 since my status change (Gold > Plat) was in 2020?
Yes it would, but then why not buy those tickets, earn the status normally and save your FPQM?

I haven’t read the details on how they’re treating FPQM under the new PQP regime, but assuming they’re worth about the same, waiting six days will give you an entire extra *year* of status.

Earning status early in a given year is by far the best time to get it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.