Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Merger Update: Details about our $500M in onboard product improvements

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Merger Update: Details about our $500M in onboard product improvements

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2011, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by entropy
Have you flown PS? the C seats are substantially better than "domestic first style".

I'm going to ask, but what the heck do you need a lie flat seat for on a 5 hour flight?
We don't have them on 2 hour flights. Its a nice treat when the 3-class jobs show up on ORD-SFO or whatever, but they're not necessary. the PS C seats are equivalent to the BF seats that CO flies to south america.

I'd rather be in Old style PS C 100% of the time than 50% in PS E+.
Agreed. Especially true on a daytime flight. This p.s. reconfiguration is a solution looking for a problem, reducing premium capacity in the process. Net
Old Aug 23, 2011, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by JAaronT
I don't think the PMUA 757s have the legs to do even EWR-LHR reliably.
http://travel.united.com/ube/aircraf...do?keyName=757
Perhaps... the range listed at the link yu posted is 5635km. The distance between EWR and LHR is 5576km. But the existing CO aircraft could certainly be used to serve p.s. and some of them could also be converted to 26F...
Old Aug 23, 2011, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Perhaps... the range listed at the link yu posted is 5635km. The distance between EWR and LHR is 5576km. But the existing CO aircraft could certainly be used to serve p.s. and some of them could also be converted to 26F...
Yes, I said reliably. Max range and practical range are different things.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by JAaronT
Yes, I said reliably. Max range and practical range are different things.
Abslutely -- witness CO service EWR-TXL and the unscheduled fuel stops they occasionally make...
Old Aug 23, 2011, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Abslutely -- witness CO service EWR-TXL and the unscheduled fuel stops they occasionally make...
paging Channa
Old Aug 23, 2011, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Ah ha. Yu was expressing tongue-in-cheek with the statement, not me.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 5:14 pm

OF course nobody _needs_ flat beds on that route, that's why its a luxury.

I'm sure we can all survive the flight in E- as well, so why do we need premium cabins?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Not convinced. If you're 6 foot 3 and have size 13 fit, the new UA C lie-flats are tough enough to stretch out and sleep in, and by all accounts (I have not flown in them) the CO BF seats are slightly shorter, hence worse.

Probably won't matter, since I rarely need to sleep on p.s. flights - but as I'm never going to be in paid C for a transcon, I guess I'm going to be stuck in E+, so I'm glad that the legroom is increasing an inch or three back there!
Old Aug 23, 2011, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Q400s? No thanks. How about adding mainline routes and getting rid of the jungle jets, the barbie jets, the prop planes and the other amateur-operated, not really United or Continental, express contingent?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 5:54 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by PTravel
Q400s? No thanks. How about adding mainline routes and getting rid of the jungle jets, the barbie jets, the prop planes and the other amateur-operated, not really United or Continental, express contingent?
I think it has a lot to do with frequencies, since a barbie jet allows the airline to serve smaller markets with at least a couple of flights a day versus one or only two flights a day with mainline aircraft.

I'd rather if the airline offers several flights a day on a barbie jet than only one or two daily flights with a 737.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
So, you're basically asking for a time machine to go back to the days of cheap oil and break-even at 40-50% load factors?

Good luck with that.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 6:10 pm

Then we'd see literally no air service to smaller areas.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 6:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by golfingboy
I'd rather if the airline offers several flights a day on a barbie jet than only one or two daily flights with a 737.
I'd agree if the barbie jets were part of the mainline fleet instead of being operated by marginal operators like Colgan.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 6:25 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
I'd agree if the barbie jets were part of the mainline fleet instead of being operated by marginal operators like Colgan.

No barbie jets are operated by Colgan. Colgan operates props, which, by default, are not barbie jets
Old Aug 23, 2011, 6:29 pm

Slightly OT, but why can't the RJ's be flown under mainline with mainline ilots, but at the same regional pay scale?

It's sad that this sort of union issue is limiting the potential of some great aircraft like the CRJ-1000 (great from economics perspective, not comfort of course )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.