Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
8/8/14 Here's the "fine print" regarding those who have received a bonus from this product in the past:

I understand that any new cardmember bonus offers for this product are not available to either current or previous cardmembers of this product who received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the last 24 months.
I understand that the terms of my account, including the APRs, are subject to change. Any such changes will be made in accordance with the Cardmember Agreement.

If you received the bonus >24 months ago you are eligible to apply. Doesn't matter when you closed the card.

Major Benefits (post-June 2018)
  • Free first checked a bag - The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free on United-operated flights when the primary Cardmember includes their MileagePlus number in their reservation and purchases their tickets from United with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card. For complete details, please visit united.com/chasebag .
  • Priority boarding - Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding. (BG2)
  • No fees on foreign transactions
  • 2 United ClubSM passes each year for your travel
  • Access to XN expanded Economy Saver award inventory (not a published benefit)
  • Chip-enabled Card provides added security
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United.
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels (NEW)
  • Earn 1 mile per $1 spent - You'll earn 1 mile for each $1 spent on all other purchases.
  • Miles don't expire as long as your credit card account remains open - Your miles don't expire as long as you are a Cardmember, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn. UA miles not longer expire
  • Any seat, any time, on United-operated flights - Primary Cardmembers can use their miles to book any available seat, any time, on United-operated flights when they redeem
  • CPU award ticket eligibility for primary cardholder (only) if MP elite
  • Carryon bag allowed with Boarding Group 2 even if Basic Economy ticket
  • 25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights (NEW)
  • Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years. (NEW)

Cuts as of June 2018Purchase Price Protection - removed
Return Protection - removed
Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance - reduced

10,000 bonus miles for $25K spend will no longer be available after May 31, 2018.Those who spend $10,000-$24,999 by May 31 will receive 4,000 bonus miles this year only.

New benefits2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels
25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights
Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years.
Print Wikipost

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
So I’m plat now and have a Club membership that runs out in June. My wife doesn’t travel much- once or twice a year for work (reimbursed) with out me. Once a year with me and the family.

We are looking at getting card that I would put my (and our) travel and household stuff on. When I had talked to a United agent about a ticket, I asked about the cards and how to balance the benefits between us.

-Want the miles to go to my account
-Want her to get the seating, access and baggage benefits

Agent said that we can be c0-primary on the card so the points can go to me and she gets benefits.

Since I’m plat, I get a break on the Club fee, how does that work with the club card?
Probably between work and stuff put over $50K through the card.

Which card- club or explorer?
Is it true that two people can be co-primary (is that the right term) and so she gets something out of it?

If it matters, I’ll be up to 1K it looks like for next year. The idea is to get some more miles and do an EU vacation next year.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 1:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PushingTin

We are looking at getting card that I would put my (and our) travel and household stuff on. When I had talked to a United agent about a ticket, I asked about the cards and how to balance the benefits between us.

-Want the miles to go to my account
-Want her to get the seating, access and baggage benefits

Agent said that we can be c0-primary on the card so the points can go to me and she gets benefits. ...

My understanding is the Primary Cardholder is the MP account that receives the miles and benefits. And that is only one person.
An authorized user gets no benefits. The activity is reported to the credit agencies for the Authorize user.

....Since I’m plat, I get a break on the Club fee, how does that work with the club card? ...
no elite pricing breaks on either card. Note the Chase MP Club is cheaper than your UC membership for a Plat.
....Probably between work and stuff put over $50K through the card.

Which card- club or explorer? ...
Better mileage earn 1.5 for base level charges. Expoler and Club cards have different benefits and depend on what you value the most
.... Is it true that two people can be co-primary (is that the right term) and so she gets something out of it? ...
not that I am aware of
Old May 3, 2019, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
So the biggest thing I see is that the Club card has a 1.5 versus the explorers 1.0 per dollar of general spend. So if you are putting a lot of Amazon or grocieries on a card, the Club has a benefit.

There aren't max points per year, are there? The explorer card deal I'm seeing says "Up to 60,000" points, which would imply a cap, but if you put some hefty numbers into the card calculator, you can get over 60,000 points in a year."

On the ancilary benefits, the differences seem small? Am I missing something? I do Club membership, so that isn't really an issue.

ETA: or is it that there are bonus points that aren't linked to your points-dollars calculation. You get point-dollars and a kicker of up to 60,000 points on top of the dollar-points.
Old May 4, 2019, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
So the biggest thing I see is that the Club card has a 1.5 versus the explorers 1.0 per dollar of general spend. So if you are putting a lot of Amazon or grocieries on a card, the Club has a benefit.
Or you could get 5% cash from the Amazon card and 6% cash from the Amex BCP. Categorizable spending for either of the UA cards is poor; bulk spending at 1.5x UA is marginally acceptable but still equivalent to the Freedom Unlimited.

There aren't max points per year, are there? The explorer card deal I'm seeing says "Up to 60,000" points, which would imply a cap, but if you put some hefty numbers into the card calculator, you can get over 60,000 points in a year."

ETA: or is it that there are bonus points that aren't linked to your points-dollars calculation. You get point-dollars and a kicker of up to 60,000 points on top of the dollar-points.
The latter - you get the bonus in addition to your spending. The main difference of the Club card is that it has a large AF and gives you UC membership
Old May 4, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
How much better is the award inventory if one has the Explorer card?
Old May 4, 2019, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT
How much better is the award inventory if one has the Explorer card?
It's noticeable (in Economy), but it's still not great.

You can see for yourself; activate Expert Mode on your United.com profile (there's a board thread on this), then do a search for a paid (not award) booking for flights you're interested in. Without the card (or Premier status), you have access to ZN (Everyday Business), HN (Everyday Economy), and X (Saver Economy) inventory. With the card, you gain access to JN (Everyday Business), YN (Everyday Economy), and, most importantly, XN (Saver Economy). For flights where XN > 0 but X = 0, the card would grant you access to Saver Economy awards that you couldn't otherwise get.

Note that this is all subject to change with the shift to fully dynamic awards as of November 15 this year. Nobody's really sure what that will mean for this inventory yet.
ebuck likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by jsloan
It's noticeable (in Economy), but it's still not great.

You can see for yourself; activate Expert Mode on your United.com profile (there's a board thread on this), then do a search for a paid (not award) booking for flights you're interested in. Without the card (or Premier status), you have access to ZN (Everyday Business), HN (Everyday Economy), and X (Saver Economy) inventory. With the card, you gain access to JN (Everyday Business), YN (Everyday Economy), and, most importantly, XN (Saver Economy). For flights where XN > 0 but X = 0, the card would grant you access to Saver Economy awards that you couldn't otherwise get.

Note that this is all subject to change with the shift to fully dynamic awards as of November 15 this year. Nobody's really sure what that will mean for this inventory yet.
Thanks for the tip! I had never heard of Expert Mode before. Although I rarely fly United (few flights out of Japan), I have a ton of miles from CC and Marriott bonuses, and do use Star Alliance a fair bit. I am debating getting the Explorer card for upcoming trip to N. America in summer.
jsloan likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 2:00 pm

I apologize if this is the wrong thread to ask this...

Does MP Explorer Card give 25% off for purchases made in a United Club (e.g. Alcohol)?The card has a 25% statement credit on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights, and I was curious if this applied to the clubs as well.
Old May 26, 2019, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
Does anyone know if I use Chase UR points to purchase a ticket that lets say cost 19500 points, but I pay 19000 plus balance with UA card - would that make me eligible for free bag?
thank you
Old May 27, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by dsauch
Does anyone know if I use Chase UR points to purchase a ticket that lets say cost 19500 points, but I pay 19000 plus balance with UA card - would that make me eligible for free bag?
thank you
I believe Chase books through Expedia, to get the free bag benefit you have to book directly.
Old May 27, 2019, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dsauch
thank you
Is that even allowed? I thought you had to use a card linked to your UR account to do a partial points payment.

Originally Posted by N104UA
I believe Chase books through Expedia, to get the free bag benefit you have to book directly.
The latter part of that statement is not true. You can get the benefit for any ticket provided that the Chase card is the method of payment on record. The problem is, when you use a travel agent, you don’t have any control over whether they will use your card to pay for the ticket or if they will charge you directly and then pay United from a corporate account. In the former case, you’d get the free bag; in the latter case, you wouldn’t.

That said, I was quickly able to find an internet report from a passenger saying that they never got the first bag free when booking through Expedia, because Expedia pays United directly. So, in this particular case, I’d say the odds of getting a free bag aren’t great.
Old May 28, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
I decided to test it with 24h cancellation as a backup. After buying a basic economy ticket using mostly points and using UA chase card for balance (you can enter any chase card on that page) I quickly checked the reservation on UA site and saw 1st bag - $0. However minutes later that changed to $30 and stayed that way.
After examining the receipt it shows that the entire ticket cost has been charged to corporate Mastercard. So no soup for me...
Old Jun 8, 2019, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Dtownboogie1
I apologize if this is the wrong thread to ask this...

Does MP Explorer Card give 25% off for purchases made in a United Club (e.g. Alcohol)?The card has a 25% statement credit on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights, and I was curious if this applied to the clubs as well.
I tested this, and the UA MP Explorer Card does not give a 25% Discount in the lounge. Disappointing.

Last edited by Dtownboogie1; Jun 8, 2019 at 11:34 am Reason: Add Quote
Old Jun 8, 2019, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Dtownboogie1
I tested this, and the UA MP Explorer Card does not give a 25% Discount in the lounge. Disappointing.
To be fair, has United ever said it does give a discount in the lounge?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by zitsky
To be fair, has United ever said it does give a discount in the lounge?
Chase card holders used to have this benefit some years ago, and it was in the form of a discount not a statement credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.