Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
8/8/14 Here's the "fine print" regarding those who have received a bonus from this product in the past:

I understand that any new cardmember bonus offers for this product are not available to either current or previous cardmembers of this product who received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the last 24 months.
I understand that the terms of my account, including the APRs, are subject to change. Any such changes will be made in accordance with the Cardmember Agreement.

If you received the bonus >24 months ago you are eligible to apply. Doesn't matter when you closed the card.

Major Benefits (post-June 2018)
  • Free first checked a bag - The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free on United-operated flights when the primary Cardmember includes their MileagePlus number in their reservation and purchases their tickets from United with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card. For complete details, please visit united.com/chasebag .
  • Priority boarding - Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding. (BG2)
  • No fees on foreign transactions
  • 2 United ClubSM passes each year for your travel
  • Access to XN expanded Economy Saver award inventory (not a published benefit)
  • Chip-enabled Card provides added security
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United.
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels (NEW)
  • Earn 1 mile per $1 spent - You'll earn 1 mile for each $1 spent on all other purchases.
  • Miles don't expire as long as your credit card account remains open - Your miles don't expire as long as you are a Cardmember, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn. UA miles not longer expire
  • Any seat, any time, on United-operated flights - Primary Cardmembers can use their miles to book any available seat, any time, on United-operated flights when they redeem
  • CPU award ticket eligibility for primary cardholder (only) if MP elite
  • Carryon bag allowed with Boarding Group 2 even if Basic Economy ticket
  • 25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights (NEW)
  • Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years. (NEW)

Cuts as of June 2018Purchase Price Protection - removed
Return Protection - removed
Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance - reduced

10,000 bonus miles for $25K spend will no longer be available after May 31, 2018.Those who spend $10,000-$24,999 by May 31 will receive 4,000 bonus miles this year only.

New benefits2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels
25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights
Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years.
Print Wikipost

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2020, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Thank you for the promo link!
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
I didn't get an email but I went here and my card was eligible: https://www.chase.com/mybonus
Thank you so very much for this link. It certainly makes things much simpler! 😎

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
My old Chase United Visa and my Chase United Explorer Business were not eligible.

However, I put in my Hyatt CC and got 5x for Amazon and 3x for grocery stores...
My son's current-vintage $95 Chase MileagePlus Explorer Card was not eligible.

However, I could enroll my own legacy Chase Bonv°y Visa, which I normally use for groceries anyway. Thanks for sharing!
Say Vandelay likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 1:34 pm

I recently did a product change from the MP Awards card (from way back) to the MP Explorer, because I want to take advantage of the PQP bonus for this year. I don't have the new physical card yet, but they said the card number won't change, and the images have updated in the Chase site and in Apple Pay to the new explorer card, and I've received the 2x club passes in my UA account.

Does anyone happen to know when my incremental spend will be considered as being done on the Explorer card instead of the old card, for purposes of the PQP bonus? Would you suppose I can start spending on it immediately, or should I wait until the next billing cycle, or something in between?
Old Nov 27, 2020, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by gr2020
I recently did a product change from the MP Awards card (from way back) to the MP Explorer, because I want to take advantage of the PQP bonus for this year. I don't have the new physical card yet, but they said the card number won't change, and the images have updated in the Chase site and in Apple Pay to the new explorer card, and I've received the 2x club passes in my UA account.

Does anyone happen to know when my incremental spend will be considered as being done on the Explorer card instead of the old card, for purposes of the PQP bonus? Would you suppose I can start spending on it immediately, or should I wait until the next billing cycle, or something in between?
Answering my own question - I waited about 10 days or so after product changing to the Explorer card, then made the spend on the card, and the PQP bonuses (500 + 500 PQP for 12K spend) credited within a few days. I did not wait for a statement to cut after the product change.
SPN Lifer and Say Vandelay like this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 9:44 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
another 5x offer, but nowhere near as good as my last one because it’s only one bonus for the quarter instead of it being repeatable each month:

You'll earn 5 total miles for every $1 you spend on up to $1,500 in combined purchases at grocery stores, gas stations and drugstores from January 1 through March 31, 2021, with your United MileagePlus® Credit Card
Old Jan 1, 2021, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
How are these offers communicated to cardholders?
Old Jan 1, 2021, 12:33 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
How are these offers communicated to cardholders?
I've receive previous such offers by email. The most recent one just expired at midnight last night. They must be targeted; I did not receive an offer for January through March, 2021.

Edited to add:

I just searched for and located a link to activate the offer and it worked.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 1, 2021 at 12:41 pm
Old Jan 1, 2021, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Thank you, SPN
your offer is now activated."

My older son's Chase MileagePlus Explorer Card was not targeted, but my Chase Marriott Bonv°y Visa Card was, as was my wife's. (!)

That card is how I get Bonv°y Titanium Elite status, which gets me UA Premier Silver membership. The extra 4x points (total 5x) on grocery store, gas station, and drug store purchases up to $1,500 during Q1 will come in handy.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Apr 18, 2021 at 4:17 am
Old Mar 5, 2021, 6:53 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Almost worthless offer in my inbox this morning, but at least it's easy:

Save some time in your busy life with your contactless United℠ Explorer Card.

Tap to pay three times from Feb. 16 through May 31, 2021, and receive 500 miles when each purchase is $1.75 or more.* No enrollment is necessary.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 5, 2021 at 8:29 pm Reason: formatting
Old May 24, 2021, 6:57 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Renew Chase MP card or not? $95 annual fee.

I have been unable to use the two lounge pass coupons, in fact both lounges were closed when connecting thru ORD earlier this month.
The bag check has been a help on a limited circumstances.
The enhanced award availability has been a huge help in the past, but now I have only 52,000 miles left .

My spouse has 184,000 miles, after transferring his UR points last year when he cancelled the Sapphire Reserve Card. But with no access to the enhanced award availability, they are harder to use.

Thoughts on this situation?
Old May 24, 2021, 9:52 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mary_228
I have been unable to use the two lounge pass coupons, in fact both lounges were closed when connecting thru ORD earlier this month.
There has been an UC open in ORD for past year and another opening in a few days. Most UCs are scheduled to reopen by Labor Day, many by 4 July.

....The bag check has been a help on a limited circumstances.
The enhanced award availability has been a huge help in the past, but now I have only 52,000 miles left .
There is the improved boarding priority and the TSA Global Entry / PreCheck credit $100 credit every four years
Sum the cost benefits and compare to the cost.

The other things to consider is a different card benefit such as cashback cards. As an lifetime elite with a ton of miles, the Explorer benefits offer little and cashback was more attractive.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 24, 2021 at 10:40 am Reason: rephased
Old May 24, 2021, 11:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Appreciate your help, WineCountryUA

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There has been an UC open in ORD for past year and another opening in a few days. Most UCs are scheduled to reopen by Labor Day, many by 4 July.

There is the improved boarding priority and the TSA Global Entry / PreCheck credit $100 credit every four years
I only had time to go by the clubs in B and C terminals and both were closed. Bummed out, my first flight in about two years!
And thank you for the tip about the Global Entry fee reimbursement. I need to renew it next year and that benefit is not listed in my CC agreement. It will be worth it to renew. Thanks for helping me think through this decision.
Old May 24, 2021, 11:53 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I only had time to go by the clubs in B and C terminals and both were closed. ....
B6 UC has been open and C16 UC opened today
Old May 25, 2021, 8:58 am
RNE

Renew Chase MP card or not? $95 annual fee.
Thoughts on this situation?
To me, the United MP card's sweet spot is with people like you and me: general members. I have benefitted greatly from better award availability. And, unlike you, I have a boatload of award miles, which, now that I'm in my golden years, I blow on FC seats. Thus, the card's boarding priority and baggage benefit aren't factors for me, but they may be for you and your husband, and could easily pay for the AF. As for club passes being hard to use, 2020 was an outlier. And as WineCountryUA intimates, clubs will reopen throughout the year... with snakebit CLE being the last--if ever. (Don't get me started.)
SPN Lifer and mary_228 like this.
Old May 25, 2021, 1:07 pm

The real question is not whether you used the card benefits over the past year but whether you will in the upcoming year.

I don't always get my $95 worth every single year, but averaged over, say, 5 years I definitely get my money's worth. So I keep the card open rather than trying to guess each year whether it will pay off or not. I probably could have safely cancelled for Covid year but just didn't get around to it.

What makes it worth it for me (a non-elite):

- High likelihood of overhead bin space (so no need to gate check) via BG2
- Allowed full carryon with BE fares (once saved $200 on a single flight this way, pays for 2 years of the card right there)
- Free bag when I need to check (maybe once a year)
- 25% discount on onboard booze/BoB...only a few bucks but it can add up over a year
- Usually don't have time for the lounge, but I often find a way to either use the passes or give them to a friend.
- Expanded award availability probably helps me save a bunch of miles every other year on average.

I usually fly with my partner so we both get those benefits, so it's $50/year each.

Any one of of those benefits probably wouldn't make sense, but bundled together it's worth it for me.

If I was Silver consistently I would probably close the card.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 25, 2021, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh
- Allowed full carryon with BE fares (once saved $200 on a single flight this way, pays for 2 years of the card right there)
Can you please confirm this is still with the card benefits? I couldn’t find it anywhere else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.