Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
8/8/14 Here's the "fine print" regarding those who have received a bonus from this product in the past:

I understand that any new cardmember bonus offers for this product are not available to either current or previous cardmembers of this product who received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the last 24 months.
I understand that the terms of my account, including the APRs, are subject to change. Any such changes will be made in accordance with the Cardmember Agreement.

If you received the bonus >24 months ago you are eligible to apply. Doesn't matter when you closed the card.

Major Benefits (post-June 2018)
  • Free first checked a bag - The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free on United-operated flights when the primary Cardmember includes their MileagePlus number in their reservation and purchases their tickets from United with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card. For complete details, please visit united.com/chasebag .
  • Priority boarding - Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding. (BG2)
  • No fees on foreign transactions
  • 2 United ClubSM passes each year for your travel
  • Access to XN expanded Economy Saver award inventory (not a published benefit)
  • Chip-enabled Card provides added security
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United.
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels (NEW)
  • Earn 1 mile per $1 spent - You'll earn 1 mile for each $1 spent on all other purchases.
  • Miles don't expire as long as your credit card account remains open - Your miles don't expire as long as you are a Cardmember, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn. UA miles not longer expire
  • Any seat, any time, on United-operated flights - Primary Cardmembers can use their miles to book any available seat, any time, on United-operated flights when they redeem
  • CPU award ticket eligibility for primary cardholder (only) if MP elite
  • Carryon bag allowed with Boarding Group 2 even if Basic Economy ticket
  • 25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights (NEW)
  • Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years. (NEW)

Cuts as of June 2018Purchase Price Protection - removed
Return Protection - removed
Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance - reduced

10,000 bonus miles for $25K spend will no longer be available after May 31, 2018.Those who spend $10,000-$24,999 by May 31 will receive 4,000 bonus miles this year only.

New benefits2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels
25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights
Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years.
Print Wikipost

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Thank you very much. I saw it online. Much appreciated for the direction.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
https://mystatus.united.com , then click "See Chase Spending."

Or, from the app, you can reach the same place by viewing your account and tapping "View Premier Progress." It'll take you into your web browser and bring you to that page.
Originally Posted by ajGoes
Chaseonline.com has a year-to-date spending report which can answer that question. It's available from the "More..." link on your credit card account page.
both these options work now.

The chase spending report is new - maybe in the last month or two. This is also going to be your most accurate count. The amount on the UA mystatus site is a bit behind - it only updates weekly and is usually somewhere between 1-2 weeks behind in spending. The report on the Chase site should include all posted transactions, so it would only be missing items that are pending. On the non-UA side though, this ‘spending report’ replaces the former year-end statements. I don’t like that the report can’t be filtered by category, whereas the year end statements showed transactions by spending category.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:04 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by emcampbe

both these options work now.

The chase spending report is new - maybe in the last month or two. This is also going to be your most accurate count. The amount on the UA mystatus site is a bit behind - it only updates weekly and is usually somewhere between 1-2 weeks behind in spending.
I just logged into the mystatus page, but cannot see Chase spending - maybe because I'm an international member? (Yes, I am based in BOM...)
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
I just logged into the mystatus page, but cannot see Chase spending - maybe because I'm an international member? (Yes, I am based in BOM...)
The report on spending is intended to be a guide to achieving the PQD waiver for Silver, Gold, and Platinum status. Since you already have a PQD waiver as an international member, I'm not surprised that it wouldn't be displayed.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Wanted to put down a note from experience - I received RDM credit for purchases after cancelling the card, including for the final billing period. I didn't receive the bonus miles Chase was offering for spending over a certain threshold, though. Spend was already above $25k and not needed in the end to qualify, so no info on whether that would have remained (I cancelled in November).
Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:56 am

United Explorer Card Questions

If I apply for United Explorer Card today, how soon will I have the miles to be able to spend? Could I book flights now, and then apply the miles once I receive them? We have booked a trip to Maui at the end of July and found a non-stop flight (from Chicago) but would like to save some money using miles. Thanks!
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by illinoisguy
If I apply for United Explorer Card today, how soon will I have the miles to be able to spend? Could I book flights now, and then apply the miles once I receive them? We have booked a trip to Maui at the end of July and found a non-stop flight (from Chicago) but would like to save some money using miles. Thanks!
Are you thinking of miles from a bonus or the normal miles awarded for spend?

Normal spend gives miles at the end of each statement period, and for most cards the first statement closes about a month and a half after approval. I think any bonus would post at the end of the statement period in which the spend target was reached, but I'm not certain of that.

For United, there's no points advance-type reservation, so you need the miles when you book an award flight.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:14 am

Thanks! From what I read, I would receive 40,000 miles for opening the card (my wife could open a card also). Could I book the flights now (4 of us going) then cancel and re-book once I receive the points (I am worried about the flight filling up)? What is the cancellation charge? I believe that each round trip ticket is around 87,000 points....is it possible to use points towards tickets and pay the charge the rest of the balance?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks! From what I read, I would receive 40,000 miles for opening the card (my wife could open a card also). Could I book the flights now (4 of us going) then cancel and re-book once I receive the points (I am worried about the flight filling up)? What is the cancellation charge? I believe that each round trip ticket is around 87,000 points....is it possible to use points towards tickets and pay the charge the rest of the balance?
You wouldn't do yourself much good by booking now for cash and cancelling later. There's no reason to expect the award inventory would open up when you cancel a revenue ticket. Change / cancellation fees are around $300 (+/- $100?), depending upon the fare you purchase, and typically the value remaining comes with restriction on use.

There's no way to split payment between cash and award miles, also. You can buy miles now, but I don't find that to be typically good value; they cost you typically around 2 cents per mile, and economy awards are hard to redeem for more value than that.

How many days out are you from flight time? Fares often don't start going up rapidly until within 30 days. [edit: just re-read your first post. For July travel, I think you could probably apply for the card and get the bonus in time to redeem an economy award, which is what I think 87k sounds like. You might find a saver award open later, even.]
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:30 am

Thanks! Trip is from July 19 to 26th. If my wife and I each applied for a card, is there a way to combine our miles? We have to also spend $2k each (we could charge our the condo stay we booked)to get the miles so I'd assume we'd get some extra miles for that. I have 850 miles on the standard miles program.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
You don't receive the miles until after you've spent $2,000. The miles don't post immediately after you cross that threshold — after all, you could return goods and drop your total spend below it again. I can't remember how long they took to post but I'd give it at least thirty days after your first statement showing you've met the spending requirement.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks! Trip is from July 19 to 26th. If my wife and I each applied for a card, is there a way to combine our miles? We have to also spend $2k each (we could charge our the condo stay we booked)to get the miles so I'd assume we'd get some extra miles for that. I have 850 miles on the standard miles program.
There is an option to combine, but the fees make it not economical. If you can find saver awards, which may be easier if you can flex your dates, you could each book one direction of travel (for 45k). Nominally that requires you to spend about $4k each to make the balance.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
You get at least one mile per dollar so yes, you'll get at least 2000 miles in addition to the 40,000. You can't combine miles, but you can transfer them for a fee. The fee usually makes transfers uneconomical.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by ajGoes
You don't receive the miles until after you've spent $2,000. The miles don't post immediately after you cross that threshold — after all, you could return goods and drop your total spend below it again. I can't remember how long they took to post but I'd give it at least thirty days after your first statement showing you've met the spending requirement.
The bonus miles post within a couple of business days after the statement cuts containing the minimum spend. If you subsequently try to chargeback the minimum spend, I imagine you'll get a nastygram from Chase and potentially face some sort of clawback.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:28 am

Would it make sense to apply for the Explorer card now and use the free bag charges? From what I read I would get two free bag checks each way (so a total of $120).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.