Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
8/8/14 Here's the "fine print" regarding those who have received a bonus from this product in the past:

I understand that any new cardmember bonus offers for this product are not available to either current or previous cardmembers of this product who received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the last 24 months.
I understand that the terms of my account, including the APRs, are subject to change. Any such changes will be made in accordance with the Cardmember Agreement.

If you received the bonus >24 months ago you are eligible to apply. Doesn't matter when you closed the card.

Major Benefits (post-June 2018)
  • Free first checked a bag - The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free on United-operated flights when the primary Cardmember includes their MileagePlus number in their reservation and purchases their tickets from United with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card. For complete details, please visit united.com/chasebag .
  • Priority boarding - Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding. (BG2)
  • No fees on foreign transactions
  • 2 United ClubSM passes each year for your travel
  • Access to XN expanded Economy Saver award inventory (not a published benefit)
  • Chip-enabled Card provides added security
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United.
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels (NEW)
  • Earn 1 mile per $1 spent - You'll earn 1 mile for each $1 spent on all other purchases.
  • Miles don't expire as long as your credit card account remains open - Your miles don't expire as long as you are a Cardmember, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn. UA miles not longer expire
  • Any seat, any time, on United-operated flights - Primary Cardmembers can use their miles to book any available seat, any time, on United-operated flights when they redeem
  • CPU award ticket eligibility for primary cardholder (only) if MP elite
  • Carryon bag allowed with Boarding Group 2 even if Basic Economy ticket
  • 25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights (NEW)
  • Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years. (NEW)

Cuts as of June 2018Purchase Price Protection - removed
Return Protection - removed
Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance - reduced

10,000 bonus miles for $25K spend will no longer be available after May 31, 2018.Those who spend $10,000-$24,999 by May 31 will receive 4,000 bonus miles this year only.

New benefits2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels
25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights
Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years.
Print Wikipost

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2021, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
I recently got the explorer card and booked a BE tickets - me and 3 of my family members. While talking to UA customer service on the phone, she said that the full carry-on baggage allowance is for the card holder only, and not for the companions travelling on the same reservation. Isn't she wrong based upon what is on FAQ? Has anyone travelled recently on BE and able to take full carry-on bags for primary card holder and all the companions on the same reservation?

And, what is that fine print that says, if space available? Any thoughts, experience?
Old Jun 11, 2021, 7:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rrnet
...While talking to UA customer service on the phone, she said that the full carry-on baggage allowance is for the card holder only, and not for the companions travelling on the same reservation. ....
Unfortunately some reservation agents will opine on things they are not well informed about. The wording is quite clear on the United site and the Gate Agents are more familiar with the proper reading of the policy. The phone reservation agent was wrong.

...And, what is that fine print that says, if space available? ...
That is always true, there is a chance for late boarders there is no remaining overhead bin space. But if you board in BG2 (credit cardholders, Silver elites) that is rarely a problem. BG4 definitively can happen.
rrnet and TWA884 like this.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 5:52 pm

I recently got the explorer card and booked a BE tickets - me and 3 of my family members. While talking to UA customer service on the phone, she said that the full carry-on baggage allowance is for the card holder only, and not for the companions travelling on the same reservation. Isn't she wrong based upon what is on FAQ? Has anyone travelled recently on BE and able to take full carry-on bags for primary card holder and all the companions on the same reservation?

And, what is that fine print that says, if space available? Any thoughts, experience?
I have the Explorer card and no status. I've only flown with one companion (not 3), but when on the same reservation we have both always gotten Boarding Group 2 and full carry-on privs on a BE ticket.

When you check in, look at your BG on everyone's boarding pass. If it says BG2 you'll have no problem boarding with a full-size bag. If it says BG5 you need to make another plan.
Flying Machine and TWA884 like this.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by threeoh
When you check in, look at your BG on everyone's boarding pass. If it says BG2 you'll have no problem boarding with a full-size bag. If it says BG5 you need to make another plan.
Or be prepared by getting to the airport early for agents to properly enable your carryon or be prepared to pay for the privilege of carrying on.

David
Old Jun 12, 2021, 7:05 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by threeoh
I have the Explorer card and no status. I've only flown with one companion (not 3), but when on the same reservation we have both always gotten Boarding Group 2 and full carry-on privs on a BE ticket.
That's my experience as well.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 1:22 pm

That's my experience as well.
One more detail I forgot to add. I bought the BE tickets with a United Certificate and paid the excess with the Explorer card. Am I (and my companions) still eligible for the full carry-on baggage privilege and Boarding priority?
Old Jun 13, 2021, 2:22 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

One more detail I forgot to add. I bought the BE tickets with a United Certificate and paid the excess with the Explorer card. Am I (and my companions) still eligible for the full carry-on baggage privilege and Boarding priority?
That information should be included in your Important reminder about your upcoming trip email:
Dear TWA884,

Your upcoming travel to XYZ was booked on a Basic Economy ticket. These lower-priced fares provide most of the same inflight services that are available with standard Economy – and you’ll still earn award miles. As a primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus® credit card, you will also continue to receive benefits that other travelers don’t receive with Basic Economy:

Full-sized carry-on bags are permitted1
Priority boarding privileges2

These Basic Economy restrictions still apply:

Complimentary seat selection, Economy Plus® and upgrades are not available3
Group and family seating is not available
Flight changes are not allowed4

Thank you for choosing United®. We look forward to seeing you on board.

2 Priority boarding: Premier members, companions traveling on the same reservation and primary cardmembers of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card will still receive their priority boarding privileges. Other Basic Economy customers may be in the last boarding group.

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 13, 2021 at 3:02 pm Reason: Remove outdated information
Old Jun 13, 2021, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
That information should be included in your Important reminder about your upcoming trip email:
You will not earn toward Premier® qualification or lifetime miles
Is that a recent message? the last item has changed and is incorrect. All but PQFs are earned.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 13, 2021 at 2:51 pm
Old Jun 13, 2021, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Is that a recent message? the last item is does changed and is incorrect. All but PQFs are earned.
A couple of years old. The point was that rrnet should have received an email detailing the boarding group and carry-on luggage allowance.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 2:51 pm

A couple of years old. The point was that rrnet should have received an email detailing the boarding group and carry-on luggage allowance.
Might be best to cut the incorrect info out before it confuses someone
TWA884 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Might be best to cut the incorrect info out before it confuses someone
Done.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 4:23 pm

I did receive that email today, and it has the same verbiage as yours. However, my family members travelling on the same reservation, each got an email. However, that email has:
Complimentary seat selection, Economy Plus® and upgrades are not available1
Group and family seating is not available
Full-sized carry-on bags are not permitted2
Flight changes are not allowed, except for flights booked between March 3, 2020 and April 30, 20213
You will not earn full Premier® qualifying credit4
Priority boarding is not available5

2. Personal item:
You're allowed a small personal item, such as a shoulder bag, purse or laptop bag or other small item, 9 inches x 10 inches x 17 inches (22 cm x 25 cm x 43 cm) or less. Mobility aids and other assistive devices are also permitted.

Full-sized carry-on bags brought to the gate: Full-sized carry-on bags are not allowed except for MileagePlus Premier members, primary cardmembers of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, and Star Alliance™ Gold members. Must be a primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card at time of check-in. MileagePlus Premier members or Star Alliance Gold members must be of qualifying status at the time of check-in to receive carry-on benefit. Others may be subject to the applicable checked bag fee plus a $25 gate handling service charge if they bring a full-sized carry-on bag to the gate. Payment by credit card only.

5. Priority boarding:Premier members, companions traveling on the same reservation and primary cardmembers of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card will still receive their priority boarding privileges. Other Basic Economy customers may be in the last boarding group.

In terms of checked bag allowance, I see in my reservation that it has 4 included allowances (2 for me + 2 for one companion) which I think it is for the roundtrip.
I called United Customer Rep this afternoon who said I and only one companion are allowed full size carryon and checked bag!

It is confusing. I may just do 2 checked bags, and one carry-on to be safe! Reg. boarding priority, I should know in 24 hours!
Old Jun 13, 2021, 4:47 pm

Yes. For the BG2 / carry-on pivs, it doesn't matter how you pay, as long as your MileagePlus number is on the reservation and you have the Explorer card.

You do need to pay with the Explorer card for the checked bag benefit, though.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 11:14 am

Just did an online check-in. All 4 of us got BG2. And, my wife and I got one free checked bag each. I was surprised that it allowed me to check-in online and gave us boarding passes (probably I said I am checking in bags!). Still, what I am planning to check are carry-on sizes anyway. So, I want to go to the counter and see if I can just take them as a carry-on instead of checking them in and waiting at the baggage collection area.

And, in terms of seat assignment, we all got seats next to each other though it is the last row!
Old Jun 14, 2021, 11:41 am

Just did an online check-in. All 4 of us got BG2. And, my wife and I got one free checked bag each. I was surprised that it allowed me to check-in online and gave us boarding passes (probably I said I am checking in bags!). Still, what I am planning to check are carry-on sizes anyway. So, I want to go to the counter and see if I can just take them as a carry-on instead of checking them in and waiting at the baggage collection area.
Nice!

If your boarding passes say BG2 you will not have a problem bringing full carry-on bags on the plane. No need to go to the counter.
rrnet, Flying Machine and TWA884 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.