Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
8/8/14 Here's the "fine print" regarding those who have received a bonus from this product in the past:

I understand that any new cardmember bonus offers for this product are not available to either current or previous cardmembers of this product who received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the last 24 months.
I understand that the terms of my account, including the APRs, are subject to change. Any such changes will be made in accordance with the Cardmember Agreement.

If you received the bonus >24 months ago you are eligible to apply. Doesn't matter when you closed the card.

Major Benefits (post-June 2018)
  • Free first checked a bag - The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free on United-operated flights when the primary Cardmember includes their MileagePlus number in their reservation and purchases their tickets from United with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card. For complete details, please visit united.com/chasebag .
  • Priority boarding - Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding. (BG2)
  • No fees on foreign transactions
  • 2 United ClubSM passes each year for your travel
  • Access to XN expanded Economy Saver award inventory (not a published benefit)
  • Chip-enabled Card provides added security
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United.
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels (NEW)
  • Earn 1 mile per $1 spent - You'll earn 1 mile for each $1 spent on all other purchases.
  • Miles don't expire as long as your credit card account remains open - Your miles don't expire as long as you are a Cardmember, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn. UA miles not longer expire
  • Any seat, any time, on United-operated flights - Primary Cardmembers can use their miles to book any available seat, any time, on United-operated flights when they redeem
  • CPU award ticket eligibility for primary cardholder (only) if MP elite
  • Carryon bag allowed with Boarding Group 2 even if Basic Economy ticket
  • 25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights (NEW)
  • Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years. (NEW)

Cuts as of June 2018Purchase Price Protection - removed
Return Protection - removed
Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance - reduced

10,000 bonus miles for $25K spend will no longer be available after May 31, 2018.Those who spend $10,000-$24,999 by May 31 will receive 4,000 bonus miles this year only.

New benefits2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels
25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights
Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years.
Print Wikipost

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2023, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by nomad420
Yes got the promo and accepted one of the offers and no not yet. I didn't expect them to post until the end of promo but will continue to watch.
I can't even remember/find the terms of the promo. They are so very hard to find. Should screenshot before I accept.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Or archive them and post the link in a FlyerTalk thread

https://archive.today
Old Oct 26, 2023, 9:29 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by CApreppie
I can't even remember/find the terms of the promo. They are so very hard to find. Should screenshot before I accept.
To be honest I can't either, perhaps too much dependence of FT to bail me out.
CApreppie likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 3:02 pm

Rental Car Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) coverage

Has anyone here every had to make use of the CDW coverage offered by the Chase MP Explorer card? If so did it all work out okay? I normally don't rent a car when I travel but am doing so in a couple of weeks and want to be prepared before I get to the rental car counter. Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 3:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bearchaser303
Has anyone here every had to make use of the CDW coverage offered by the Chase MP Explorer card? If so did it all work out okay? I normally don't rent a car when I travel but am doing so in a couple of weeks and want to be prepared before I get to the rental car counter. Thanks in advance.
See Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated] in the Chase forum
Old Mar 13, 2024, 6:17 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
I don’t recall this happening to me before but this week I have 4 valid Explorer UC passes in my wallet. Two were deposited Monday and last year’s don’t expire until Sunday. Is that standard? I guess I don’t always use them because I still have Pres Plus card so I usually just gift them.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 9:46 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
I don’t recall this happening to me before but this week I have 4 valid Explorer UC passes in my wallet. Two were deposited Monday and last year’s don’t expire until Sunday. Is that standard?
Yes.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 11:08 am

Programs: United, Southwest
Hope this is an appropriate thread and I think I know the answer but wanted to see if I am missing anything.

I have 2 big purchases coming up - one around $4,000 not travel related and $7,000 for travel. I have the United Explorer credit card and Chase Sapphire.

The Points Guy values United points at 1.4 cents each and Chase points at 2.05 cents each. Transferring Chase to United seems like I will lose half a cent BUT if that's what I want to use it on, I guess it doesn't matter.

Both cards give me Travel "Protection" - Sapphire's is better.

I will earn 2 points per dollar spend on Sapphire making it the best one for the travel expense. I hardly ever use the United Explorer - but might use it for the non travel expense.

The only reason I keep the United Explorer card is because of the 'saver' award access as I rarely have any status.

Any reason to charge the non travel expense on Chase instead of United????? I mostly fly 2 international trips per year on United Business Class. I don't live near a hub and am open to other airlines. And don't use United for domestic flights, even for a positioning flight, due to the small planes they tend to fly out of BNA. Not a fan. I do enjoy the Polaris seat on the long haul travel and never eat on the flights so soft product doesn't matter.

Thanks!!
Old Apr 6, 2024, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal
The Points Guy values United points at 1.4 cents each and Chase points at 2.05 cents each.
The specific values are irrelevant and will vary by passenger. However, Ultimate Reward points are definitively at least as valuable than MileagePlus points...

Transferring Chase to United seems like I will lose half a cent BUT if that's what I want to use it on, I guess it doesn't matter.
For exactly that reason. They can be converted to MileagePlus points at a 1:1 ratio.

Any reason to charge the non travel expense on Chase instead of United?????
You're asking the wrong question. The right question is, is there any reason to charge it on the Explorer Card rather than the Sapphire. The answer is no: the only reason you'd choose the Explorer Card is if you were trying to earn PQP for premier qualification. Otherwise, you may as well keep them in your Chase Ultimate Rewards account until / unless you need to convert them to United.

I mostly fly 2 international trips per year on United Business Class. I don't live near a hub and am open to other airlines. And don't use United for domestic flights, even for a positioning flight, due to the small planes they tend to fly out of BNA. Not a fan. I do enjoy the Polaris seat on the long haul travel and never eat on the flights so soft product doesn't matter.
Now I'm confused. If you'r only flying Business, and positioning by yourself due to UA's smaller planes... why do you need the Explorer card? You mentioned getting better access to awards, but that's only true for economy space, and only when flying on United.
Rare, SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 12:09 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Any reason to charge the non travel expense on Chase instead of United?????
If you know for a fact you would only transfer the UR to UA Miles, it probably doesn't matter.

UR have far more optionality value though. You can redeem directly for travel at 1.5 cents and there are other valuable airline and hotel transfer partners.

In your position, absent any category bonuses or spending bonuses (or need for PQP as jsloan mentioned), I'd put everything on the CSR.

I could make the case that there are minor benefits to putting occasional spend on the Explorer. Sometimes Chase will close cards for inactivity, so it's a good idea to charge something occasionally. And the more varied charges you put on the card, the more likely you are to get more Chase Offers on the card. But neither of those would sway me in deciding where to put a large charge.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
You can redeem directly for travel at 1.5 cents and there are other valuable airline and hotel transfer partners.
I think OP has the Chase Sapphire Preferred, not the Chase Sapphire Reserve, so direct travel is a 1.25 cent redemption rather than 1.5 cents. Other than that, I agree completely.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago (Post # 1330)
I could make the case that there are minor benefits to putting occasional spend on the Explorer. Sometimes Chase will close cards for inactivity, so it's a good idea to charge something occasionally. And the more varied charges you put on the card, the more likely you are to get more Chase Offers on the card. But neither of those would sway me in deciding where to put a large charge.
While banks will frequently close no-annual-fee cards for inactivity, they are usually happy to keep on collecting annual fees, even without usage for several years.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I reached 1MM UA status and am no longer chasing annual status, but still flying UA. I am leaning towards the Capital One Venture X card and waiting for a 90K miles bonus that comes every few months. In the meantime, I am either using my Fidelity Visa 2% cash back or old Capital One Venture card 1.25 miles/dollar.

Is there any reason for me to keep my Chase United Explorer card? I get better benefits and permanent Premier Gold/Star Gold except there can be Chase cardholder award inventory - not sure available to the UA Gateway Card. My mom switched her Explorer Card to the no fee Chase UA Gateway card (no annual fee) and back again. Does this show as continuing the same account open for good credit purposes?

My credit score is well above 800 so not really worried about opening a new card.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CApreppie
except there can be Chase cardholder award inventory
As a UA Gold member, you will have access to that same inventory regardless.
SPN Lifer and CApreppie like this.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
As a UA Gold member, you will have access to that same inventory regardless.
Then there's definitely no value in that card - the 2 UA club passes aren't that enticing. There is an AC lounge now in T3 in SFO.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.