Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (specifically not standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply almost, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your first originally scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to answer 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: If the answer to both questions is yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for GM's and Silvers - the fees is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.
  • The proposed remaining itinerary must be operated by United or United Express®, and the ticket number must begin with 016. (see nuances below)

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United.com “change flight” link before checking in, within T-24. (Many have reported recently that this has problems and attempts to collect the full fare difference and $200 change fee.)
  • "Search Other Flight Options" button during OLCI. (This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.)
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = possible using any method
A = possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (e.g. JFK-> LGA; see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal (e.g. JFK -> EWR): N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2011, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Originally Posted by N227UA
So is H class only permitted or can I go up to B or even Y class?
H class or lower - same as before.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 6:40 pm
Suspended

I'm still confused, I have a UA operated flight in July at 6am. I'd like to go 5pm the day before - Can I do SDC?
Old Jun 6, 2011, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, CZR 7*, MGM Plat
Originally Posted by imgonnafly
I'm still confused, I have a UA operated flight in July at 6am. I'd like to go 5pm the day before - Can I do SDC?
No. United is same day standby. Continental has the 24-hour window. Hopefully that is the policy adopted when everything is combined. The same day, three hour limitation of United is not very useful to me.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by Tarpie
No. United is same day standby. Continental has the 24-hour window. Hopefully that is the policy adopted when everything is combined. The same day, three hour limitation of United is not very useful to me.
The poster in question notes it's a UA-operated flight. Was it a CO marketed ticket? I had some luck last weekend changing a CO marketed itinerary that had UA segments by calling CO.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by Tarpie
+1 to hoping they adopt the CO 24-hour window. So long as they use inventory management properly it is a win-win. They'll clear us onto flights which would have gone with empty seats (and almost surely in economy). Maybe it will free up inventory they can monetize or use for IRROPs. And they'll have given us some flexibility that didn't cost them anything, so win-win, a little reward for being loyal high volume travelers.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 11:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
The poster in question notes it's a UA-operated flight. Was it a CO marketed ticket? I had some luck last weekend changing a CO marketed itinerary that had UA segments by calling CO.
No, it was ticketed by UA and it's a G fare. It's in July - darn. I was really hoping to go the day before. Oh well.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 2:15 am

Programs: UA Silver
Another vote for 24-hour window. UA has been reducing the number of revenue flights, and 3-hour window often does not give you any option unless you fly between UA's hub cities.

BTW, it seems like a lot of airport agents have no idea what this underlined note means exactly. They do not know how to do this legitimately.
Available only for identical routings (same origin, destination and connection city, if applicable). You may change your connection city only if requesting the change at the airport.

Last edited by N227UA; Jun 8, 2011 at 2:46 am
Old Jun 8, 2011, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by N227UA
Another vote for 24-hour window. UA has been reducing the number of revenue flights, and 3-hour window often does not give you any option unless you fly between UA's hub cities.
It's 3 hours from the time of request, not 3 hours from your original flight. So for example, if you're booked for a 9pm flight, you can still change to the 1pm if you call in at 10am. 24 hours would obviously be nicer, but it seems like you're misunderstanding the current rule.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Fun fact, if you're traveling on CO metal on a CO ticket you can try to SDC to a United flight ...

... but the CO SDC rules will apply and you'll need original fare class availability.

UA does not open up every fare bucket 3.5 hours before departure like CO says they do. So if you're on a CO S fare and want to switch onto a UA flight which is F9 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S0, you are out of luck, sorry.

Hope this will align better in the future.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
Ok a couple questions because I'm constantly doing SDC's on UA...

Did I read in the new policy that if you want to confirm for a LATER flight than the one you were ticketed on you have to pay the fee? Just this Monday I missed my 6 am flight, showed up at noon and Mr. Chicken let me confirm a seat on the 2 pm flight that day. Just wondering...

Also if I use an e-cert that is limited to certain fare buckets (S, T, L only) can I just book whatever flight is available now for the days I need to travel and try to SDC to a more desirable flight the day of travel?
Old Jun 9, 2011, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by msg75
Did I read in the new policy that if you want to confirm for a LATER flight than the one you were ticketed on you have to pay the fee? Just this Monday I missed my 6 am flight, showed up at noon and Mr. Chicken let me confirm a seat on the 2 pm flight that day. Just wondering...
Your experience is normal. I often same day confirmed to much later flights than originally ticketed.
Also if I use an e-cert that is limited to certain fare buckets (S, T, L only) can I just book whatever flight is available now for the days I need to travel and try to SDC to a more desirable flight the day of travel?
Yes, but remember, you could get stuck! What will you do if an earlier flight gets cancelled and all the remaining flights of the day are now oversold?
Old Jun 9, 2011, 11:34 am

Programs: kayaker
Ok a couple questions because I'm constantly doing SDC's on UA...

Technically the policy should be to charge you the normal fee. There is evidence of said policy in this thread. However, as your experience shows, YMMV.

This is different from the policy I've seen on CO.com, where SDC to a later flight is permitted w/o a fee, though usually with a "difference in fare" charge, as they don't open the other fare buckets until T-3h.

Any additional empirical data points would be appreciated!
Old Jun 9, 2011, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by o mikros
Technically the policy should be to charge you the normal fee. There is evidence of said policy in this thread. However, as your experience shows, YMMV.

This is different from the policy I've seen on CO.com, where SDC to a later flight is permitted w/o a fee, though usually with a "difference in fare" charge, as they don't open the other fare buckets until T-3h.

Any additional empirical data points would be appreciated!
I have changed to later flights about 30 times over the last year using SDC standby on PM UA flights. (about 20 times with agent, 10 times with mr. chicken.) Not once has a fee been mentioned. That is my experience as a 1K.

As noted above, there is a risk of there being no later flights available. In my cases, I am willing to buy a new ticket if needed.

Last edited by wanaflyforless; Jun 9, 2011 at 11:57 am
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Can any 1P's chime in with their experience of using SDC to change to a LATER flight? The two posters above me who mentioned they have never been charged to SDC to a later flight are both UA 1K.

I think this is an incredibly unfriendly policy if UA doesn't allow you to use SDC to a later flight. Both CO and DL allow it with no problem. Yes, you're taking a gamble that seats will be available on the later flight (I get that).

So two questions for now:
1. Does the normal change fee apply to 1P's if they try to SDC to a later flight (within 3 hours of the requested flight)?
2. Assuming no change fee, are you confirmed on the later flights or simply put on standby?

Thanks,
RM
Old Aug 15, 2011, 3:40 pm

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Can any 1P's chime in with their experience of using SDC to change to a LATER flight? The two posters above me who mentioned they have never been charged to SDC to a later flight are both UA 1K.

I think this is an incredibly unfriendly policy if UA doesn't allow you to use SDC to a later flight. Both CO and DL allow it with no problem. Yes, you're taking a gamble that seats will be available on the later flight (I get that).

So two questions for now:
1. Does the normal change fee apply to 1P's if they try to SDC to a later flight (within 3 hours of the requested flight)?
2. Assuming no change fee, are you confirmed on the later flights or simply put on standby?

Thanks,
RM
I actually had firsthand experience on this just the other day. Unfortunately, it seems that 1P and below are charged for SDC to a later flight....meaning I couldn't get the routing to travel with my brother.

Ended up being a blessing in disguise, as his flight out of ORD was delayed 4 hours with the weather on Saturday, so I was well fed and rested when I picked him up at our destination.

So, to answer your questions:
1. You are charged $75 to SDC to a later flight.
2. I wasn't willing to pay, so I don't know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.