Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (specifically not standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply almost, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your first originally scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to answer 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: If the answer to both questions is yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for GM's and Silvers - the fees is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.
  • The proposed remaining itinerary must be operated by United or United Express®, and the ticket number must begin with 016. (see nuances below)

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United.com “change flight” link before checking in, within T-24. (Many have reported recently that this has problems and attempts to collect the full fare difference and $200 change fee.)
  • "Search Other Flight Options" button during OLCI. (This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.)
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = possible using any method
A = possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (e.g. JFK-> LGA; see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal (e.g. JFK -> EWR): N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2011, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by DLrunner
I am a Prem Exec on UA. On May 19th I was charged $75 for an SDC when it should have been free for me. I did not know about the rule change and hence paid it. How do I go about getting a refund for this?
Call reservations and ask for refunds. If that fails, you can probably get a goodwill voucher out of *Voice.
Old May 25, 2011, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, CO: Plat, DL: Elite
Not sure I understand what a SDC

Okay I admit I am confused -- happens more often now that my few hairs have turned gray.

How does this whole thing work? Is the SDC mean a change that day? What if I want to change a flight some time in the future but within a 3 hour window? Is that free for 1Ps or does UA still gouge us for $150 per ..

Thanks
Old May 25, 2011, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichFisher
Okay I admit I am confused -- happens more often now that my few hairs have turned gray.

How does this whole thing work? Is the SDC mean a change that day? What if I want to change a flight some time in the future but within a 3 hour window? Is that free for 1Ps or does UA still gouge us for $150 per ..

Thanks
CO and UA have different standby/same-day confirmed policies at the current moment. I know the CO policy is spelled out pretty clearly on their website. I imagine UA's policy is as well. @:-)
Old May 31, 2011, 4:17 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, UA Premier Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by unavaca
Call reservations and ask for refunds. If that fails, you can probably get a goodwill voucher out of *Voice.
I called reservations who pointed me to [email protected]. Emails to them got me a standard reply from an India based CSR
==================================================
United Airlines permits customers to confirm seating on an alternate
flight on their non-refundable ticket within 3 hours of original flight
for $75.00. This fee is non-refundable. In order to offer this
flexibility, refunds are not given after the fee has been assessed.

We appreciate you choosing United Airlines and hope that we can welcome
you onboard again soon.

Regards,
================================================== ====

what are my options?
Old May 31, 2011, 11:48 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by DLrunner

what are my options?
Email 1Pvoice and/or write a paper letter to customer relations. You deserve a refund, not a goodwill voucher, and should eventually get it. (though I would settle for the voucher if it were worth more than the refund would have been)
Old May 31, 2011, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Also provide a link to the page that says that 1P are now exempted from the fee. Even this past weekend at ORD, when I wanted to standby for an earlier flight, the gate agent tried to charge me $75 before I insisted that there was a recent policy change and asked them to look it up. Not everyone is completely aware of this change yet.
Old May 31, 2011, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA: Premier 1K AA: Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by studentff
Email 1Pvoice and/or write a paper letter to customer relations. You deserve a refund, not a goodwill voucher, and should eventually get it. (though I would settle for the voucher if it were worth more than the refund would have been)
+1.
Especially bc someone in the US will receive and work on that letter, so you MAY get a non-genericized response.
Old May 31, 2011, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
As a heads up, most of the CO GAs I encountered this past weekend at IAH and EWR were not aware of the new fee structure. In fact, one GA at IAH tried to charge me for a nonconfirmed standby on an earlier flight.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 1:11 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
At PMUA there is a programing glitch (that has been reported) where the system doesn't recognize ticket purchase date. If you are a 2P and below you'll be charged $75 regardless of when you purchased your ticket. If you are subject to the fee and purchased your ticket prior to May 16th 2011 be sure to tell the agent when you purchased your ticket.

I've been told that the initial problem of the system charging 1P and OnePass Gold has been fixed.

Just recently (last 3 or 4 days) the PMUA profile used by employees for unconfirmed same-day standby and confirmed same-day travel fees was changed to reflect the fee exemptions that are on united.com.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 6:57 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, UA Premier Platinum, National Executive
Finally on the 3rd attempt, having asked for a response from a supervisor, I got an email confirming a $75 refund. So looks like all ends well. Thanks.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 8:39 am

Programs: UA MM, HH Gold, SPG LT Gold
Does the fee waiver apply to my wife (a CO Silver) travelling with me (CO PLT) in the same itinerary but not the same reservation?
Old Jun 2, 2011, 4:02 pm

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Originally Posted by SFOFastAir
At PMUA there is a programing glitch (that has been reported) where the system doesn't recognize ticket purchase date. If you are a 2P and below you'll be charged $75 regardless of when you purchased your ticket. If you are subject to the fee and purchased your ticket prior to May 16th 2011 be sure to tell the agent when you purchased your ticket.

I've been told that the initial problem of the system charging 1P and OnePass Gold has been fixed.

Just recently (last 3 or 4 days) the PMUA profile used by employees for unconfirmed same-day standby and confirmed same-day travel fees was changed to reflect the fee exemptions that are on united.com.
Not sure what date of purchase has to do with this. Are you saying it is intended that if you purchased prior to May 16, standby should only cost $50? Would a 1p who purchased prior to May 16 have to pay $50 for standby? That would be kind of odd.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Hello, I got few questions here.

1. Is this rule revision effective right now?

2. If I were to do a confirmed change, would I have to be booked in the original fare class? In the past, H class is allowed as I read here. If H class is still allowed, that is nice.

3. Would I be able to have a stopover longer than four hours with same-day travel change?

4. For confirmed changes, connection city can be changed. Would the new travel routing still have to satisfy the permitted travel routing published in the fare rule?

5. Most important of all, are they going to allow adding additional connection cities with confirmed change?

Thanks for your response in advance.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
My take:
Originally Posted by N227UA
1. Is this rule revision effective right now?
Yes, if you get an informed agent.
2. If I were to do a confirmed change, would I have to be booked in the original fare class? In the past, H class is allowed as I read here. If H class is still allowed, that is nice.
On PM UA flights, it does not have to be original fare class, as the rules stand for now.
3. Would I be able to have a stopover longer than four hours with same-day travel change?
No, but you would probably get away with it doing unconfirmed stanby (or simply standing by on a much earlier flight to city you are confirmed to connect through).
4. For confirmed changes, connection city can be changed. Would the new travel routing still have to satisfy the permitted travel routing published in the fare rule?
Yes, however don't expect many agents to have a complete understanding of UA routing fare rules. Many will not take the time to explore out of the way rotuings.
5. Most important of all, are they going to allow adding additional connection cities with confirmed change?
If the agent feels like it, they will allow it for you.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Thank you for the response. Sounds like a huge improvement for 1P members. Glad to see UA valuing 1P members more than before.

Originally Posted by wanaflyforless
Yes, if you get an informed agent.

Then what should I do if I encounter an uninformed agent and am asked to pay for the change?

On PM UA flights, it does not have to be original fare class, as the rules stand for now.

So is H class only permitted or can I go up to B or even Y class?

No, but you would probably get away with it doing unconfirmed stanby (or simply standing by on a much earlier flight to city you are confirmed to connect through).

So there is a loophole.

Yes, however don't expect many agents to have a complete understanding of UA routing fare rules. Many will not take the time to explore out of the way rotuings.

As usual.

If the agent feels like it, they will allow it for you.

Nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.