Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (specifically not standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply almost, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your first originally scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to answer 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: If the answer to both questions is yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for GM's and Silvers - the fees is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.
  • The proposed remaining itinerary must be operated by United or United Express®, and the ticket number must begin with 016. (see nuances below)

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United.com “change flight” link before checking in, within T-24. (Many have reported recently that this has problems and attempts to collect the full fare difference and $200 change fee.)
  • "Search Other Flight Options" button during OLCI. (This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.)
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = possible using any method
A = possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (e.g. JFK-> LGA; see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal (e.g. JFK -> EWR): N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2011, 11:26 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by o mikros
Not quite. UA cannot SDC you onto CO metal, nor can they put you on standby. However, since in this case CO issued the ticket, they still have control of it. You would therefore want to talk to the CO desk agents about SDC at t-24.

Disclaimer: this has been my experience in the past. Please post data points to the contrary to clarify or improve our understanding (actual experience, not policy speculation).
I have experienced reticence among both UA & CO agents to effect SDC from one airline to the other, except when it is due to IRROPs. Perhaps it is because it is work for them and/or not too easy, so it depends on which agent you ask?

I expect that will go away when they are on a single IT platform next year
Old Oct 27, 2011, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
Just accidentally discovered that my UA metal, UA stock flight in 23+ hours could be changed without cost (from the United app) to any other UA flight within the next 24 hours, including the night before. Seems like the PMCO definition of SDC has finally made it to the UA-branded flights, which is a change I really do like, but how come no one else has reported this? Did I just hit some anomaly, or is it real across the board?

(By the way, I was so surprised to see that flight the night before pop up that I hit the Select button for that flight and found my ticket reissued without even a confirmation dialog. Then I changed it back to my original flight, leaving me with a duplicate res on that flight and an error message when I try to access it. Did manage to check in the one with no ticket attached, but I can't wait to see what happens if my upgrade manages to clear.)

(I should also add that when I first changed to the earlier flight, I noticed that my waitlisted upgrade segment was still for my original flight!)

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 27, 2011 at 9:38 pm Reason: merge/edit
Old Oct 27, 2011, 9:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I would expect more information in this thread, but I don't see any other reports of a new rule on UA metal.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...questions.html
Old Oct 27, 2011, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Cool! Have you tried changing your flight on united.com to see what fees it quotes you?

The UA phone application does seem to surface new information from the reservations system that we haven't seen online before -- specifically the departure-management upgrade list.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by mherdeg
Cool! Have you tried changing your flight on united.com to see what fees it quotes you?

The UA phone application does seem to surface new information from the reservations system that we haven't seen online before -- specifically the departure-management upgrade list.
I have no reason to believe it would not have worked on united.com, but can't test it now, having screwed up the original PNR. For what it's worth, Mumbai web support not only had no clue how to fix it, but seemed to have less information about the res than I could get myself on the web site. (What finally allowed me to check in was to start on the web in a logged-out state, do a check-in search by flight number and name, and then I could select either one of the two records with my name.)
Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:13 pm

Nice! I didn't realize the app had that capability. Will surely be using it more often.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Dudey
Nice! I didn't realize the app had that capability. Will surely be using it more often.
Yes, but oddly the app does not allow you to do a check-in search by flight number, so I was forced to go back to the web site.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 7:45 am

FWIW, although I have successfully changed routing or metal at the airports (while keeping the same origin/destination) on several occasions in recent months, most folks I've asked at the ticketing desk/RCCs/their supervisors still insist that a re-booking/change fee must be paid. Only when I show them this page or have them talk to the 1K line do they relent and make the change free or charge.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 3:52 pm

Programs: United 1K MM; Starwood Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Alaska 75K
Change fee reduced?

Do you think they will ever go back to making the ticket change fee $50 or $75 vs. the ridiculous $150? That would be a sweet and unique bonus for elite flyers.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by texasex95
Do you think they will ever go back to making the ticket change fee $50 or $75 vs. the ridiculous $150? That would be a sweet and unique bonus for elite flyers.
No, but at this point I'd be happy if they'd go back to the old way they applied the change fee. It used to be treated as a minimum change cost, where any increment you paid for a higher priced fare would be counted, which at least gave you more flexibility in your flight choices for the price. Now they just add it on to whatever increment you might still need to pay.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Platinum+Silver on same PNR

If I (Platinum) have a companion Silver on the same PNR and do the SDC, will I be charged for the Silver's change?
Old Oct 30, 2011, 8:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fanger
If I (Platinum) have a companion Silver on the same PNR and do the SDC, will I be charged for the Silver's change?
on UA no and beleive the same is true for CO
Old Nov 3, 2011, 9:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I was real excited to use this benefit today. Then I got screwed by the "only domestic" part of the UA version of the rule.

Not a great travel day for me. Gonna make tomorrow even worse. Plenty of open seats on the desired flight and no chance of getting this done.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by silentbob1974
FWIW, although I have successfully changed routing or metal at the airports (while keeping the same origin/destination) on several occasions in recent months, most folks I've asked at the ticketing desk/RCCs/their supervisors still insist that a re-booking/change fee must be paid. Only when I show them this page or have them talk to the 1K line do they relent and make the change free or charge.
So two weeks ago, I tried seeing what I could SDC for on a UA-stock, CO-operated ticket. UA and CO both pointed fingers at each other. The LAX employees tried claiming they didn't even have a SDC policy (and obviously, they knew better than I since they "work there." ) even after I tried showing them the .bomb page on it, so YMMV.

I'm really waiting for these policies to completely align so I'm no longer torn between which airline to ticket on (and consequently, what SDC policy to have to abide by).
Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:23 am

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
So two weeks ago, I tried seeing what I could SDC for on a UA-stock, CO-operated ticket. UA and CO both pointed fingers at each other. The LAX employees tried claiming they didn't even have a SDC policy (and obviously, they knew better than I since they "work there." ) even after I tried showing them the .bomb page on it, so YMMV.

I'm really waiting for these policies to completely align so I'm no longer torn between which airline to ticket on (and consequently, what SDC policy to have to abide by).
From the SDC policy side of things, CO is far superior to UA. You can change at t-24h and you are not limited to domestic-only. Of course, there are other factors at play here, but if you're going to get a CO-operated itin I see very little benefit to purchasing it on UA stock.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.