Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (specifically not standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply almost, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your first originally scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to answer 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: If the answer to both questions is yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for GM's and Silvers - the fees is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.
  • The proposed remaining itinerary must be operated by United or United Express®, and the ticket number must begin with 016. (see nuances below)

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United.com “change flight” link before checking in, within T-24. (Many have reported recently that this has problems and attempts to collect the full fare difference and $200 change fee.)
  • "Search Other Flight Options" button during OLCI. (This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.)
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = possible using any method
A = possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (e.g. JFK-> LGA; see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal (e.g. JFK -> EWR): N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2011, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT LT & 2MM, HH D, MAR PLT EL LT
In the end I ended up booking a UA Metal flight connecting as it was $325 vs $525. Since I will want to switch to a direct CO metal flight at 6 am on a Saturday morning, I really don't think it will that much of an issue. I decided that although I would have preferred to leave late Friday night, for $200 buck I can wait until early Sat morning.

I might have more of an issue returning, but it will work itself out, or I will return on the flight I have booked.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by o mikros
IME, if you try to talk to UA about SDC between 3 and 24 hours before the flight, they will say it's not possible, even if they issued a ticket for CO metal. If the flight is under some degree of CO's control, however, then they can and will do things for you, but not onto UA metal.

For example: Your flight is CO stock but on UA metal, MKE-ORD-AUS. At t-24 you can call CO and asked to be put on a flight at t-12, new routing MKE-IAH-AUS. CO would not be able to change you to the t-12 routing MKE-DEN-AUS, however, since that is UA metal.

Second example: Your itin was issued by UA but is on CO metal, again MKE-IAH-AUS. You call UA at t-20, they say that it's outside the 3-hour window. You hang up and call CO; they will let you SDC onto the t-12 MKE-IAH-AUS or MKE-EWR-AUS if there is confirmable space in the same fare bucket.

Hope that clears up some degree of confusion.
If I read this post correctly, I might be able to call CO elite, at t-24, as I am on CO stock but UA metal, but I want to change and actually fly on CO metal.

If that understanding is correct, I guess I should try to go either the night before or the morning of on CO mental and try to make use of hte t-24 rule.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 3:10 pm

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by vandesa
If I read this post correctly, I might be able to call CO elite, at t-24, as I am on CO stock but UA metal, but I want to change and actually fly on CO metal.

If that understanding is correct, I guess I should try to go either the night before or the morning of on CO mental and try to make use of hte t-24 rule.
Correct. If your first segment (IAH-ORD) is CO metal and your ticket is CO stock, they can put you on a nonstop IAH-DTW instead. However, if you just want to fly the night before IAH-ORD you'll be stuck in Chicago since UA rules don't permit changing ORD-DTW until t-3h, or Saturday morning.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
How does SDC work with a CR-1 pending upgrade on JFK-SFO? Assuming the upgrade doesn't clear, which looks highly unlikely, can I SDC and still try to apply the CR-1 to the new flight?

-RM
Old Oct 3, 2011, 6:29 pm

I'm ticketed on a UA Las Vegas - Ord - La Guardia flight on 10/15. Would it be a problem if I standby for a CO Las Vegas - EWR non-stop flight within 3 hours of departure? Are LGA and EWR co-terminals and is the switch allowed?
Old Oct 3, 2011, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
How does SDC work with a CR-1 pending upgrade on JFK-SFO? Assuming the upgrade doesn't clear, which looks highly unlikely, can I SDC and still try to apply the CR-1 to the new flight?

-RM
I don't know how it works procedurally, but if you don't clear on the CR-1, you get it back and can use it again.
Note that your chance of upgrade is very slim if you don't get confirmed into the new flight in Y - you have to be confirmed into Y before you can upgrade into C, and they may process upgrades before they process standbys into Y.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 9:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by seacarl
Note that your chance of upgrade is very slim if you don't get confirmed into the new flight in Y
SDC is, by definition, a confirmed reservation.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
SDC is, by definition, a confirmed reservation.
SDC permits you to standby for a flight when a confirmed seat isn't available.

The 3-hour restriction (on UA) makes SDC and standby pretty similar anyway as you often need to be on the way to the airport or have made all necessary arrangements before you know if you'll get it.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by monsieurdino
I'm ticketed on a UA Las Vegas - Ord - La Guardia flight on 10/15. Would it be a problem if I standby for a CO Las Vegas - EWR non-stop flight within 3 hours of departure? Are LGA and EWR co-terminals and is the switch allowed?
problem: yes
co-terminals: no
switch allowed: no
Old Oct 4, 2011, 1:09 pm

Correct. If your first segment (IAH-ORD) is CO metal and your ticket is CO stock, they can put you on a nonstop IAH-DTW instead. However, if you just want to fly the night before IAH-ORD you'll be stuck in Chicago since UA rules don't permit changing ORD-DTW until t-3h, or Saturday morning.
CO stock, UA Metal IAH ORD DTW. I actually don't want to fly to ORD just directly to DTW on CO Metal if possible.

So would calling at T-24 directly to CO and asking for a CO metal work?
Old Oct 4, 2011, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by vandesa
CO stock, UA Metal IAH ORD DTW. I actually don't want to fly to ORD just directly to DTW on CO Metal if possible.

So would calling at T-24 directly to CO and asking for a CO metal work?
SDC is processed by the airline you are booked on - not the one you want to get onto. You can only do cross-airline SDC from UA to CO at the airport and only within three hours of departure.

Go to IAH three hours before your flight and go to the UA counter where you can ask to SDC to the direct flight to DTW on CO.

-RM
Old Oct 4, 2011, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
SDC is processed by the airline you are booked on - not the one you want to get onto. You can only do cross-airline SDC from UA to CO at the airport and only within three hours of departure.

Go to IAH three hours before your flight and go to the UA counter where you can ask to SDC to the direct flight to DTW on CO.

-RM
YMMV on the above. I've have SDC'ed over the phone from CO to UA, so it might be possible. The agents always tell me that the policy is constantly in flux.

Safe Travels
Old Oct 4, 2011, 5:18 pm

Sorry if this is already covered somewhere in the thread; I could not find it.

Does SDC also allow a switch to a different airport in the same city (eg if I'm scheduled on a flight to DCA, can I switch to a flight to IAD without charge, assuming I'm high enough elite and within the time window)?

Thanks
Old Oct 5, 2011, 9:34 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, CZR 7*, MGM Plat
Originally Posted by monsieurdino
problem: yes
co-terminals: no
switch allowed: no
Old Oct 5, 2011, 11:01 am

-RM
Not quite. UA cannot SDC you onto CO metal, nor can they put you on standby. However, since in this case CO issued the ticket, they still have control of it. You would therefore want to talk to the CO desk agents about SDC at t-24.

Disclaimer: this has been my experience in the past. Please post data points to the contrary to clarify or improve our understanding (actual experience, not policy speculation).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.