Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (specifically not standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply almost, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your first originally scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to answer 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: If the answer to both questions is yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for GM's and Silvers - the fees is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.
  • The proposed remaining itinerary must be operated by United or United Express®, and the ticket number must begin with 016. (see nuances below)

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United.com “change flight” link before checking in, within T-24. (Many have reported recently that this has problems and attempts to collect the full fare difference and $200 change fee.)
  • "Search Other Flight Options" button during OLCI. (This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.)
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = possible using any method
A = possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (e.g. JFK-> LGA; see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal (e.g. JFK -> EWR): N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2014, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by djohannw
my UA*S number
This is a common mistake here:

You are UA Silver, or 2P (Is 2P still used?)

*S is Star Alliance Silver, an altogether different thing.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 3:25 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LarkSFO

How? United only has one elite tier that corresponds to Star Silver and as the status is called Premier Silver, saying UA*S makes plenty of sense to me.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CMK10
How? United only has one elite tier that corresponds to Star Silver and as the status is called Premier Silver, saying UA*S makes plenty of sense to me.
Because it's confusing. It's one of my newest pet peeves here.

UA offers several benefits to its own Silvers, only one of which is *S status. Calling it UA *S is like calling it "UA free E+ at check-in."
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LarkSFO

Purely speaking semantics my statement is correct as I am holding *Silver status with United, so in short that comes to UA*S - no matter how UA calls that status internally, my designation is entirely correct. Additionally UA Silver is not referenced anywhere I have been reading about status in United's materials, the status I hold is always referrenced to as "Premier Silver" by the horse's mouth.

That said I understand the lingo here may differ, and I try to accustom myself to that...not for long though, as my Premier Gold (better?) will kick in as early as friday.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:19 am

Purely speaking semantics my statement is correct as I am holding *Silver status with United, so in short that comes to UA*S - no matter how UA calls that status internally, my designation is entirely correct. Additionally UA Silver is not referenced anywhere I have been reading about status in United's materials, the status I hold is always referrenced to as "Premier Silver" by the horse's mouth.

That said I understand the lingo here may differ, and I try to accustom myself to that...not for long though, as my Premier Gold (better?) will kick in as early as friday.

Greetings - Dirk
UA Silver means Premier Silver. One small benefit of UA Silver is *S status. When you mention *S, even if you put UA near it, it is confusing because it sounds like you're getting the status from a different airline.

As for UA Gold, that you should definitely not refer to as *G, because that's ambiguous between several levels in the UA program.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
UA Silver means Premier Silver. One small benefit of UA Silver is *S status. When you mention *S, even if you put UA near it, it is confusing because it sounds like you're getting the status from a different airline.
Honestly, I have no clue where you take that from. UA*S is the common designator quite a few *A airlines print on their boarding-pass to designate a Premier Silver - it is nowhere confusing nor ambigious. As for UA Silver: That may exist here, has no meaning in terms of the Horse's mouth, however, as that only uses a different term (Premier Silver) in all it's materials. But honestly - everybody knew what I was intending to relay (changing the frequent flyer number back from the temporarily assigned LH-number to my UA-number) so making such a fuss around this certainly was not warranted at all...

As for UA Gold, that you should definitely not refer to as *G, because that's ambiguous between several levels in the UA program.
From an UA-perspective that is true, as it is for SEN and HON from an LH-perspective. From any other *A-Airline' s view, all UA level above Silver are created equal (with some minor differentiation when biliteral agreements exist, e.g between LH and UA for the use of the arrival lounge).

And now for something completely different...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:51 am

Honestly, I have no clue where you take that from. UA*S is the common designator quite a few *A airlines print on their boarding-pass to designate a Premier Silver - it is nowhere confusing nor ambigious. As for UA Silver: That may exist here, has no meaning in terms of the Horse's mouth, however, as that only uses a different term (Premier Silver) in all it's materials. But honestly - everybody knew what I was intending to relay (changing the frequent flyer number back from the temporarily assigned LH-number to my UA-number) so making such a fuss around this certainly was not warranted at all...

From an UA-perspective that is true, as it is for SEN and HON from an LH-perspective. From any other *A-Airline' s view, all UA level above Silver are created equal (with some minor differentiation when biliteral agreements exist, e.g between LH and UA for the use of the arrival lounge).

And now for something completely different...

Greetings - Dirk
This is a thread about a UA benefit, not a *A benefit. When people refer to their status in *A terms, it's really confusing, because *A elites are (technically) not entitled to the benefit. I'm not alone in finding this confusing or having it be a pet peeve.

The basic point is this: if you're not talking about UA's treatment of OAL elites or an OAL's treatment of UA elites, please keep the *A distinctions out of it because they only add confusion.

Last edited by mgcsinc; Apr 7, 2014 at 12:09 pm
Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:10 pm

This is a thread about a UA benefit, not a *A benefit. When people refer to their status in *A terms, it's really confusing, because *A elites are (technically) not entitled to the benefit. I'm not alone in finding this confusing or having it be a pet peeve.
Then have it the technical way: UA*S and Premier Silver are bijectives. There is no dispute on that as UA only has one level that is sporting the *Silver benefits/logo.

But then again, this discussion goes nowhere...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:14 pm

Then have it the technical way: UA*S and Premier Silver are bijectives. There is no dispute on that as UA only has one level that is sporting the *Silver benefits/logo.

But then again, this discussion goes nowhere...

Greetings - Dirk
E+ at check-in is also a bijective with UA S, but no one calls it that...

*S is but a status level on UA. It is a benefit that comes with one of the status levels.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I'm not alone in finding this confusing or having it be a pet peeve.
No, you aren't.

UA*S is the common designator quite a few *A airlines print on their boarding-pass to designate a Premier Silver - it is nowhere confusing nor ambigious.
What other airlines label UA elites is pretty much irrelevant. For a while, DL labeled me (an AS MVP Gold 75K) as an Alaska Airlines MVP Platinum on their boarding passes. It would be silly of me to identify myself in the AS forum on FT as an Alaska Airlines MVP Platinum.

It's obvious that other airlines label you as a UA*S because that's what you are to them: a United Airlines Star Silver. If you held Lufthansa Frequent Traveler status, you'd show up as LH*S. To LH in February, I was a UA*G (I'm not a UA Gold!). But to United, you are not a Star Silver--you are Premier Silver ("Silver" for short here on FT--if there's a shorter abbreviation for it on FT, I'm not aware of it yet). It's a different set of benefits (*S don't get E+, CPUs, free baggage, and numerous other benefits that UA Silvers get). So referring to yourself as a *S can result in others misunderstanding what benefits you're entitled to and giving you errant information.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:46 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR

The basic point is this: if you're not talking about UA's treatment of OAL elites or an OAL's treatment of UA elites, please keep the *A distinctions out of it because they only add confusion.
Thank you, mgcsinc.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:16 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by abseattle
Hi Guys,

New to the SDC business and not a frequent flyer. Need some help regarding SDC.
I'm traveling with family from Seattle to Buffalo, New york and Washington DC.
Tickets booked through Orbitz.

4/9/14
SEA-IAD UA1206 (United, leaving 1:03pm, Arriving BUF 9pm)
IAD-BUF UA3886 (Leaving BUF 9:51pm) - Operated by Republican airlines

4/11/14
BUF-JFK Delta flight

4/19/14
WAS-SEA American Airlines

All booked on same ticket by Orbitz. Tkt number starts with 016, SO I guess it's UAL

Now I'm thinking 51 minutes connection at IAD may not be enough with family and carry ons. Am I eligible for a SDC for only the SEA-BUF part without affecting other flights?

I'm willing to pay the SDC charge but not the change fee.

What are my options?

Thanks in advance!
If there's an issue that's affecting your SEA-IAD and would cause you to misconnect (weather delay, mechanical, crew, etc.), you can make the change and re-route at SEA.

Welcome to FT!
Old Apr 10, 2014, 4:40 pm

I am confused with the SDC rules, so I hope you guys can help me out. I am flying DTW-ORD-SFO on April 13. Would it be permitted to fly DTW-ORD on April 12 and ORD-SFO on April 13?

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 10, 2014, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by stoepsel
I am confused with the SDC rules, so I hope you guys can help me out. I am flying DTW-ORD-SFO on April 13. Would it be permitted to fly DTW-ORD on April 12 and ORD-SFO on April 13?

Thanks in advance!
Is it possible? Yes. Is it legal (from a fare rule perspective)? Probably not. Will you have an OK chance at getting it to work? Probably, but there are a lot of factors.

Have you read the wikipost at the top of the thread yet? It details pretty much everything we know about the SDC function and how to use (and abuse) it. If you still have questions after reading that, check back and let us know!
Old Apr 10, 2014, 6:56 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
This gets me thinking about an SDC competition...

Originally Posted by jackal
Is it possible? Yes. Is it legal (from a fare rule perspective)? Probably not. Will you have an OK chance at getting it to work? Probably, but there are a lot of factors.

Have you read the wikipost at the top of the thread yet? It details pretty much everything we know about the SDC function and how to use (and abuse) it. If you still have questions after reading that, check back and let us know!
Yes, he can probably get away with it, if he does it entirely without human intervention. If someone at United caught wind of the intent, it would not be unreasonable to expect appropriate notation in his record and possible repercussions.

The procedure itself is relatively-simple; you check in at T24 and immediately try to get on a flight that day (a day ahead of the original flight). Then upon arriving in Chicago, he can try again for a flight the next day (the original day of his return).

In theory, you could barnstorm the country with a series of overnights on a massively-multi-leg itin. Interesting scenario. To do this well would require a fair amount of planning (assuming multi-overnights; a single overnight at a hub would seem pretty easily accomplished).

Perhaps a record could be established for how many days someone could take, on a normal fare, for a transcon. Rules would require no MX or WX issues. I'd have to do some research on SDC rules; I think, but am not sure, you can sub a two-flight segment for one? In which case you could start with 4, and multiply them as you go.

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Apr 10, 2014 at 10:36 pm Reason: typo, unreasonable became reasonable. Seriously.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.