FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:19 pm
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
I'm not alone in finding this confusing or having it be a pet peeve.
No, you aren't.

Originally Posted by djohannw
UA*S is the common designator quite a few *A airlines print on their boarding-pass to designate a Premier Silver - it is nowhere confusing nor ambigious.
What other airlines label UA elites is pretty much irrelevant. For a while, DL labeled me (an AS MVP Gold 75K) as an Alaska Airlines MVP Platinum on their boarding passes. It would be silly of me to identify myself in the AS forum on FT as an Alaska Airlines MVP Platinum.

It's obvious that other airlines label you as a UA*S because that's what you are to them: a United Airlines Star Silver. If you held Lufthansa Frequent Traveler status, you'd show up as LH*S. To LH in February, I was a UA*G (I'm not a UA Gold!). But to United, you are not a Star Silver--you are Premier Silver ("Silver" for short here on FT--if there's a shorter abbreviation for it on FT, I'm not aware of it yet). It's a different set of benefits (*S don't get E+, CPUs, free baggage, and numerous other benefits that UA Silvers get). So referring to yourself as a *S can result in others misunderstanding what benefits you're entitled to and giving you errant information.