Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2012, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Do you have other flights on your ticket, or is the (originally booked) EWR-BWI the last segment on the ticket? If it's your last segment, just get off in IAD. If it isn't, you need to get it fixed so the rest of your itin doesn't get cancelled.
EWR-BWI is the last segment. So I am going to get off at IAD. Thanks.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 5:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by leonidas
EWR-BWI is the last segment. So I am going to get off at IAD. Thanks.
Any checked luggage? if so that could be a problem.

If you called, suspect you would have no issues getting them to drop the HPN leg.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 7:12 pm

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
Short Chrck

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Any checked luggage? if so that could be a problem.
You may be able to short check the bag to IAD

tell them you need to meet someone there

Last edited by CHIC SILBER; Feb 10, 2012 at 7:13 pm Reason: tried to fix the title spelling (but can't)
Old Feb 10, 2012, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CHIC SILBER
You may be able to short check the bag to IAD

tell them you need to meet someone there
UA agent are reluctant to short check -- in the past year or so, they have been instructed not to do it.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 7:13 am

Upgrade priority

Is CR1 upgrade priority based on level of person requesting the upgrade or the traveler?
Old Feb 11, 2012, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Roka
Is CR1 upgrade priority based on level of person requesting the upgrade or the traveler?
Presently on UA it is based on the traveller, appears post 3 March it will be based on the sponsor.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 9:37 am

Award booking

Is there a thread that discuss about award booking via either united or continental? Thanks!
Old Feb 11, 2012, 9:39 am

Programs: AA (LT Plat, ex-ConciergeKey), SPG (Plat), DL (Diamond), Marquis Jet Card
Can I cancel my first class ticket and book a coach and get upgraded?

I usually just book first class, as I don't want to take a chance on not being upgraded.

But tomorrow I have a first class Continental ticket from EWR to PHX, cost $800+. The flight shows 3 empty seats in first class cabin. I can buy a coach ticket for $150 on that flight.

Can I book a coach ticket, see if I get upgraded, and then cancel the refundable first class ticket? Or do they not allow you to book 2 tickets on a flight?

If i cancel my first class and book the coach, when will I be upgraded? Immediately or at the gate? I am currently a Continental Platinum and will be United 1k when the merged program kicks in.

I also have a bunch of regional upgrades and SWUs in my account, can I use the regional upgrades if necessary?
Old Feb 11, 2012, 9:45 am
Senior Moderator
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Originally Posted by jackiesyu
Is there a thread that discuss about award booking via either united or continental? Thanks!
We have a number of threads on this topic in the United and Continental forums. If you could share your specific question or narrow the topic a bit, we can try to help you find relevant threads on your more specific Q.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by modern
I usually just book first class, as I don't want to take a chance on not being upgraded.

But tomorrow I have a first class Continental ticket from EWR to PHX, cost $800+. The flight shows 3 empty seats in first class cabin. I can buy a coach ticket for $150 on that flight. ...
first caution, seat maps are not always accurate in showing availability

What you need to do is look at the fare class inventory. Do a dummy booking and click on Fare Class. Look for Fx (x=number of unsold F seats) and R/RN (number of seats presenlty available for upgrade).

... Can I book a coach ticket, see if I get upgraded, and then cancel the refundable first class ticket? Or do they not allow you to book 2 tickets on a flight? ...
In general, they will not allow double bookings but it may not be caught immediately.

If i cancel my first class and book the coach, when will I be upgraded? Immediately or at the gate? I am currently a Continental Platinum and will be United 1k when the merged program kicks in. ...
maybe, maybe not -- while there may be a good chance, without see the inventory numbers it is hard to say.
One issue is there may be others of higher status / fares ahead of you.

... I also have a bunch of regional upgrades and SWUs in my account, can I use the regional upgrades if necessary?
Once within 24 hours you can not apply regionals on the CO system
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:06 am

Programs: AA (LT Plat, ex-ConciergeKey), SPG (Plat), DL (Diamond), Marquis Jet Card

What you need to do is look at the fare class inventory. Do a dummy booking and click on Fare Class. Look for Fx (x=number of unsold F seats) and R/RN (number of seats presenlty available for upgrade).

Once within 24 hours you can not apply regionals on the CO system
A search on Continental.com for first class tickets, shows "2 available at this price". I don't know how to find R/RN?

My flight is more than 24 hours away, so I should be able to use a regional upgrade and get an immediate upgrade?
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:12 am

A search on Continental.com for first class tickets, shows "2 available at this price". I don't know how to find R/RN? ...
Click on Fare Class

... My flight is more than 24 hours away, so I should be able to use a regional upgrade and get an immediate upgrade?
if R/RN is >0.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:15 am

Click on Fare Class

if R/RN is >0.
Thanks. Both are zero, so I guess I better leave my flight as is.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:24 am

Presently on UA it is based on the traveller, appears post 3 March it will be based on the sponsor.
Where does it suggest that it'll be based on sponsor after 3 March? All the discussions of the post-combination priority order I've seen seemed ambiguous to me on whether elite status priority refers to traveler or sponsor. Thanks.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Roka
Where does it suggest that it'll be based on sponsor after 3 March? All the discussions of the post-combination priority order I've seen seemed ambiguous to me on whether elite status priority refers to traveler or sponsor. Thanks.
from pss.united.com (what appears to be an alpha site of the new system)
All travelers on waitlisted Global Premier Upgrades, Regional Premier Upgrades, and MileagePlus Upgrade Awards: Sorted by Premier status of the redeeming account, then fare class and time of request

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.