Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2011, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, *G, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Fidheal
I have been on UA trying to use MP points to get IAD-IAH-BON. Nothing shows on any dates that I can find between now and October (searched every week with flexible) and I can only assume it is because the IAH-BON leg is on CO? Or are they truly all booked up.
There are only 2 flights a week IAH-BON (Fri and Sat nights), so it's probably just a case of nothing being available at all. But as another poster said, you should probably search using CO's tool and then transfer miles if needed.

joe
Old Apr 25, 2011, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
I have gotten and cancelled a Continental Chase credit card back in January 2011. I never had a United Airlines credit card before. Currently, United Airlines credit card offers a 30k mile sign up bonus. Currently, I got 10k miles each on Continental and on United. Do you think I should get a United Airlines credit card now or hope for a better offer down the road after the operations are integrated with Continental?

Last edited by opus2002; Apr 25, 2011 at 1:50 pm
Old Apr 25, 2011, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You should definitely be able to get the UA card now if you want. There have been 50K promos in the past and they may come around again; hard to say for sure.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 2:22 pm

Printing a ticket is not the same as checking in

I booked on Continental's website a trip with a Continental flight, a United flight, followed by a Continental flight. Because all three were within 24 hours, when I arrived at the airport and printed my first ticket there, the machine offered to print my second and third tickets. Great! When it was time to board the plane for the United flight, my ticket was not immediately accepted because I had never checked in with United - fortunately the flight was not full because they had given my seat away.

The agent explained that the systems do not yet talk to each other.

OK, next time I'll know better.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 1:31 am

I have 96K with United Mileage plus and 90K with Continental, What is a better program to merge my miles into?.

I'm using these Miles purely for awards only either to Asia, South America, Africa or TLV not sure at the moment and I love traveling with Foreign carriers.

just a short background I'm no longer with Star Alliance anymore since the late 1990's as I'm with AA\ One World at the current moment, one of the reasons why I left Star Alliance was because when using an Award Ticket on a partner Airline such as LH, UA would not allow me to change the return date once I have started the outbound and I always have to change dates on my returns even for fee I don't mind, but AA lets me change return dates when ever I use an award on CX or BA, not sure if the rules changed or is it still the same?!

Last edited by ual902; Apr 27, 2011 at 1:38 am
Old Apr 27, 2011, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by ual902
I have 96K with United Mileage plus and 90K with Continental, What is a better program to merge my miles into?.

I'm using these Miles purely for awards only either to Asia, South America, Africa or TLV not sure at the moment and I love traveling with Foreign carriers.
As of June 15 the redemption rates will be aligned and as of January 1 the programs will be merged completely. If you aren't going to redeem before then it doesn't matter.

Right now CO has better rules for award changes if you think the routing will change; UA's rules are better if you are going to stay on UA metal and can keep the same routing.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA GS MM SPG Platinum (Lifetime Platinum)
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
CashN, if you might be flying more with CO this year, before the two mileage/status programs are automatically integrated, and with more lead-time than your upcoming flight, here's the FlyerTalk thread that discusses how to have CO match your 1K status:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...tus-tools.html
This is a fantastic thread, thanks!
Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:15 am

Will EVA be a partner with UA/CO?

EVA is now a partner with CO but not with United. Will EVA be a partner after the merger?
Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by GWNiemi
EVA is now a partner with CO but not with United. Will EVA be a partner after the merger?
This has not been announced as of yet. My money is on yes, but that's just a guess.

Nearly 10 years between posts...ww!
Old Apr 28, 2011, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Link for miles needed for travel

Is there a link with a chart for the combine companies that I can look at for miles needed for free travel from US to Asia. I assume the miles needed for travel will be the same for both United and Continental (and their air partners).

Thanks

Last edited by freezone; Apr 28, 2011 at 7:08 pm
Old Apr 28, 2011, 8:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by freezone
Is there a link with a chart for the combine companies that I can look at for miles needed for free travel from US to Asia.
There are still two seperate charts but the mileage levels have been harmonized (for bookings after June 15). So there are CO & UA charts for pre- & post- june 15. Total for four charts -- see the web sites for the desired chart.

And the availability can still vary.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:34 am

Programs: UA GS MM SPG Platinum (Lifetime Platinum)
If it's a CO flight operated by United which gate do I go to?

Also,

My CO flight viewed through united does not show an upgrade status (pending/waitlisted).

What gives?
Old Apr 29, 2011, 12:23 pm
Senior Moderator
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
UA-operated flights will depart from the current UA gates. You can double-check the assigned gate (via its UA flt. # or city-pair, departure time) via united.com, noting that gate assignments do change.

There are several threads on CO flyer upgrades on UA-operated flights. Here's one of them:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...d-flights.html
Old Apr 29, 2011, 8:45 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier Gold, EK Skywards, DL Skymiles, Priority Club, Hilton Honors Silver
500 mile minimum

FTers,

I am a basic member of MileagePlus.

So, short flights get the exact number of miles as MileagePlus points, right? The 500 mile minimum is for Premier and above?

Does this change if I fly business class? I have a 177-mile IND to ORD flight on "first" class. Does this get me 177 miles or 500 miles?

Thanks.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 8:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gandaberunda
...Does this change if I fly business class? I have a 177-mile IND to ORD flight on "first" class. Does this get me 177 miles or 500 miles?....
177 miles, this is an elite bonus, not a premium flyer bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.