Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated IAH connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 12, 2016, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Checking in and departing from IAH:

Terminal C has the most reliably open Precheck and Premier Access security lanes. Consider checking in and clearing security in at Terminal C even if departing from another terminal.

There are no UA check-in counters in Terminal A, even though UA has a few flights that depart from Terminal A. Check in at Terminal B or C.

There is an underground, somewhat slow landside tram system (the Subway) that runs between the basement level of all terminals (plus the on-site Marriott hotel) outside of security. (The Subway was built by Disney and modeled after their PeopleMover ride. It's worth a look if you're into that sort of thing.)

Recommended practices for transiting IAH:

IAH is a huge airport, but all terminals are very conveniently connected by a very frequent, fast airside tram system (the Skyway) inside security. You can pretty much get from any point in the airport to any other point in the airport within about 15 minutes (with a combination of Skyway and a brisk walk) without reclearing security. UA publishes as low as a 35-minute minimum connect time (MCT) at IAH, and while you shouldn't dilly-dally, this is doable on a typical domestic-domestic connection. (It helps if your inbound is not delayed and you're seated towards the front of the plane, of course; your departure flight will be almost fully boarded by the time you get there, but you'll make it.)

Note that the higher-numbered C gates (C29-C45, aka "C South") are directly connected to the E terminal by a walkway. It is usually faster to walk from C South to E (especially the low E gates) than it is to take the train. Similarly, C North (C14-C27) are directly connected to the D terminal, though the Skyway is not really out of the way and is useful if going from a low C gate to a high D gate (C24 to D10, for example). Terminal A and Terminal B are not connected by any walkways, and you must use the Skyway to change to or from these terminals.

For international arrivals: after clearing customs, stay to the left of the baggage re-check belts and follow signs to exit to arrivals (like you're going to curbside). Once in the arrivals lobby, take the elevator or escalator up one floor to find a PreCheck checkpoint and a usually-less-crowded regular checkpoint. If you ignore this advice and proceed up the escalator behind the baggage re-check area, the transit security checkpoint there is often congested and does not have a separate PreCheck checkpoint.

While perhaps not usually recommended, in a pinch, with Global Entry, no checked bags, and PreCheck, it is possible to make a one-hour (or even slightly less) connection by following the above instructions specifically (on a good day, it can take less than 30 minutes from flight arrival to sitting in the Terminal E United Club, as one member reported in the thread). Without Global Entry and with checked luggage (which must be retrieved to go through customs and dropped back off after clearing customs), especially if you are a foreign resident, expect the immigration and customs process to take longer, so allow enough time accordingly. For UA-UA international-international connections (ITI), there is a special immigration line that usually moves pretty quickly, and your baggage will be checked through and does not need to be retrieved to go through customs. No need to collect checked luggage while transiting through IAH. [OneStop]

Again, do not follow signs for international connections up the escalator behind the baggage re-check area; exit to the arrivals waiting area and re-enter one floor above through normal airport security. A map follows for visual learners:

Terminal E arrivals level / departures level:

The marked elevator will spit you out literally directly in front of the PreCheck checkpoint.

Standard UA-UA MCT table for IAH:

Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Minimum Connect Times:
Connecting at IAH
Incoming airline UA
Outgoing airline UA

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .45 1.00 1.00 1.15
OFFLINE .45 1.00 1.00 1.15
There are lots of exceptions, though, and some specific flights have as low as a 35-minute MCT, which is doable as mentioned above. IAH is a very efficiently designed airport, and you should not worry about what appears to be an abnormally low connection time; if UA says your connection is valid, it is almost certainly doable within the allotted time (notwithstanding delays, of course, and standard advice regarding allowing longer connections for mission-critical travel or travel on separate tickets still stands).

Airport map, courtesy of United Airlines:
Map displays Star Alliance partners only; most non-Star Alliance airlines have domestic operations in Terminal A or international operations in Terminal D

Archive posts - Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at IAH [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Consolidated IAH connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2023, 12:10 pm

Programs: *AG, Choice Privileges Elite Diamond, SPG Gold, La Quinta Returns Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold
So I have to check in at IAH Terminal B on Friday very early. I have a 7:21 AM flight. How much wait time can I realistically expect to get through check-in and TSA? I plan to get there about 5:45. Will that be enough time to make it? Should I consider checking in at C instead?

Thanks.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by LEONIDES
So I have to check in at IAH Terminal B on Friday very early. I have a 7:21 AM flight. How much wait time can I realistically expect to get through check-in and TSA? I plan to get there about 5:45. Will that be enough time to make it? Should I consider checking in at C instead?

Thanks.
should not be a problem that early. I’ve never been in line more than a few minutes a T-B at any time, ever. Friday mornings are usually lighter than other weekend mornings.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 11:30 am

Programs: DL Silver, DL Million Miler
Connection Time at IAH

Not sure I am on proper forum so apologize in advance. I have friends flying United between Springfield, MO and Aukland, NZ. They want to connect to Air New Zealand direct flight at IAH; however, the connection time is only 1hr 6min. They are currently walking a bit slow due to physical condition. I am pretty sure there is a terminal change at IAH. Can they make the connection?
Old Aug 19, 2023, 11:42 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
They CAN make the connection, but there isn’t much room for error. The Springfield to Houston plane is a small regional jet that typically parks at Terminal B. From there you take an above ground train to Terminal D. That only takes a few minutes, but when you factor in deplaning, possibly waiting for a gate-checked bag (the ERJ they come in on doesn’t have overhead space for large carry-ones, so they bring them to you outside the boarding door) and any flight delay, it’s tight.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 1:46 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Policypeddler
Not sure I am on proper forum so apologize in advance. I have friends flying United between Springfield, MO and Aukland, NZ. They want to connect to Air New Zealand direct flight at IAH; however, the connection time is only 1hr 6min. They are currently walking a bit slow due to physical condition. I am pretty sure there is a terminal change at IAH. Can they make the connection?
Originally Posted by cmhua777
They CAN make the connection, but there isn’t much room for error. The Springfield to Houston plane is a small regional jet that typically parks at Terminal B. From there you take an above ground train to Terminal D. That only takes a few minutes, but when you factor in deplaning, possibly waiting for a gate-checked bag (the ERJ they come in on doesn’t have overhead space for large carry-ones, so they bring them to you outside the boarding door) and any flight delay, it’s tight.
VERY, VERY tight - makable if everything goes right.

IIRC they can request a cart from UA to get them to SkyWay (train) if they are mobility impaired, not sure about at the other end in D as that is not a UA flight. Maybe NZ can help.

Is this on one ticket or separate tickets? That can make a difference. Is there an earlier flight they can take? If it were me, I would not want to risk an hour connection to an Int'l flight if I could not move well
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 2:10 am

Location: MSP, WLG, or the forward most A seat in Y I can get
Programs: UA Plat (and all the derivatives on cars and hotels that implies)
This isn't advisable for a once-a-day flight that generally has high load factors. I wouldn't do it as a relatively fit person who has occasionally run through IAH to make tight connections. The NZ flight, if on time, will start boarding about 45 minutes out and that Terminal B to Terminal D connection is hard to make in that time.

Decent chance with the change of airlines and terminals that luggage might not make it, even if the people did.

(Auckland, not Aukland, by the way)
Old Aug 20, 2023, 4:42 am

Programs: UA MM
What are those flight times? I only ask because everything I see on future flights suggests a connection time of around three hours.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 11:22 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
JimInOhio is right, the connections are 3 hours long if they're coming directly to IAH from SGF - unless they're connecting prior to their arrival in IAH. For example, SGF-ORD-IAH-AKL leaves only 1hr 5 min in IAH for layover.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Midweek 2:45 pm departure. UA / Domestic / no checked bags / pre-check. How long should I allow to get from rental car center to the gate?
Old Sep 18, 2023, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by swag
Midweek 2:45 pm departure. UA / Domestic / no checked bags / pre-check. How long should I allow to get from rental car center to the gate?
UA domestic flights can go out of three terminals. B, C, and E. Check-in at E is currently closed for construction. Which means you have to check in/ go through security at B or C.
The logistics depend on where your outbound gate is. The last time I flew out of IAH, I entered at Terminal B, cleared security, and took the airside sky train to E for my flight.
T-C can be a real mess with T-E check-in and TSA shut down.
So, regardless of where your plane is departing from, I’d make sure I’m in T-B a minimum of an hour before departure. A little longer if your flight is departing from C or E.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I just did an E international arrival to an E domestic departure and it was super fast with Global Entry and no pre-check at security so that was tedious aspect. Make sure you pick the quickest/shortest line. I only had a backpack with me so it was fast. Make sure you haven't carried any liquids off the international flight, need to dump/empty before getting in line. I never saw any secondary ID checking.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Kensterfly
UA domestic flights can go out of three terminals. B, C, and E. Check-in at E is currently closed for construction. Which means you have to check in/ go through security at B or C.
UA domestic flights can leave from any terminal. Although there's no UA check-in at Terminal A, there are enough UA flights that depart from A that there's a United Club there. Also, occasionally a UA flight will depart from D. I had a departure from D18 a couple of weeks ago.
jsloan and FlyingHoustonian like this.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 6:00 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Sure, but IIRC A term is only UAX (not to mention no bathroom in UA Club unless they installed one since I used to fly from there) and D is exceedingly rare except to international flights
Old Sep 18, 2023, 7:49 pm

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by Kensterfly
The logistics depend on where your outbound gate is. The last time I flew out of IAH, I entered at Terminal B, cleared security, and took the airside sky train to E for my flight.
T-C can be a real mess with T-E check-in and TSA shut down.
So, regardless of where your plane is departing from, I’d make sure I’m in T-B a minimum of an hour before departure. A little longer if your flight is departing from C or E.
Don't forgot D, which is across the street from E, basically. It's still being used for UA domestic. Bag drop is on the west end of D. I agree with going to T-B, although we didn't have an issue at C on the day before Labor Day.
Sorry, Steve M beat me to it.

Last edited by VRFast; Sep 18, 2023 at 7:57 pm
Old Nov 18, 2023, 8:25 am

Programs: UA PP / DL PM
Pickups / Dropoffs at IAH During Peak Times

FT Friends,

Does anyone have any hacks for picking up / dropping off family/friends (i.e., non-Uber / town car) at Terminal C during peak times?

I am picking up my daughter (UA DCA-IAH) Tuesday night before Thanksgiving (arrives at 2211) and am considering asking her to just take the "Subway train" to A and meet me there. She is checking a bag FWIW.

We are also dropping her off (UA IAH-DCA) Saturday morning after Thanksgiving.

We have encountered significant traffic issues at Terminals C (pickups/dropoffs) and D (dropoffs) during peak times. Terminal A seems a bit quieter. We have consistently avoided E pickups and instead schlep down to C for those pickups.

I also thought about asking her to take the shuttle to the rental car facility, which seems to have a public parking lot outside the garage. Seems like a lot of effort, but is at least predictable?

Open to ideas!

ABM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.