FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated IAH connection time/logistics-Domestic & International (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1194901-consolidated-iah-connection-time-logistics-domestic-international.html)

Tor Viking Jan 8, 2019 4:03 am

Hi.
I'm flying LHR-IAH-SYD+
SYD-IAH-LHR on UA.
Do they still have the one stop lane at IAH to make things go smoother in immigration and for checked luggage?

JimInOhio Jan 8, 2019 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Tor Viking (Post 30626322)
Hi.
I'm flying LHR-IAH-SYD+
SYD-IAH-LHR on UA.
Do they still have the one stop lane at IAH to make things go smoother in immigration and for checked luggage?

Last I looked, IAH is one of six US airports which feature I --> I through-check of luggage (if that's your question).

kevincl Jan 19, 2019 12:06 am

ITI baggage

If I have the following booking (all in the same reservation):

HKG-NRT on ANA
NRT-IAH on UA (codeshare, ANA flight number, but operated by UA)
IAH-LIM on UA (codeshare, ANA flight number, but operated by UA)

When checking at ANA counter at HKG, I think ANA will check the baggage to LIM. But at IAH, does airport baggage system automatically identifies this to be ITI baggage? Or should ANA need to place any special tag to mark it as ITI?

jsloan Jan 19, 2019 3:50 am

Originally Posted by kevincl (Post 30673653)
But at IAH, does airport baggage system automatically identifies this to be ITI baggage? Or should ANA need to place any special tag to mark it as ITI?

No special mark should be needed. It will detect I-I based upon the next flight's destination.

EmailKid Jan 19, 2019 8:21 am

Originally Posted by kevincl (Post 30673653)
If I have the following booking (all in the same reservation):
HKG-NRT on ANA
NRT-IAH on UA (codeshare, ANA flight number, but operated by UA)
IAH-LIM on UA (codeshare, ANA flight number, but operated by UA)

When checking at ANA counter at HKG, I think ANA will check the baggage to LIM. But at IAH, does airport baggage system automatically identifies this to be ITI baggage? Or should ANA need to place any special tag to mark it as ITI?

Luckly for you IAH is one of six (IIRC) US airports that are trying out a new system where you don't have to physically pick up checked luggage and after Customs place it on the belt to connecting flight.

You will of course have to enter USA and then clear IAH security for you flight to LIM. If you go, enjoy Lima and Peru, great place to visit.

kevincl Jan 19, 2019 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 30673998)
No special mark should be needed. It will detect I-I based upon the next flight's destination.

Thanks for the information. Since both UA operated flights (NRT-IAH, IAH-LIM) carries ANA flight number (NH 6450 and NH 7172), which flight number will baggage tag show? ANA number or the corresponding UA number (UA 6 and UA 854)? If it shows ANA number, does it still detect that it's actually UA to UA transfer, and treat it as ITI?

jsloan Jan 19, 2019 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by kevincl (Post 30675881)
Thanks for the information. Since both UA operated flights (NRT-IAH, IAH-LIM) carries ANA flight number (NH 6450 and NH 7172), which flight number will baggage tag show? ANA number or the corresponding UA number (UA 6 and UA 854)? If it shows ANA number, does it still detect that it's actually UA to UA transfer, and treat it as ITI?

I would expect them to print the NH information, but I'm not 100% sure. I think you're overthinking this, though. :) What will happen is that the baggage handlers will take the bag off of the belt, scan it, and their scanner will tell them that the next flight designation is LIM and that it should bypass customs / baggage claim. I don't think the baggage handlers spend a lot of time manually inspecting each tag to see where it should go, or whether or not the flight numbers are codeshare flights.

JimInOhio Jan 19, 2019 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by kevincl (Post 30675881)

I think codeshare baggage tags are *typically* printed as the primary airline (i.e. whose metal it is).

domtarlsq Jan 20, 2019 7:22 am

Quick question,

i have a flight in August from CUN-YOW , connecting in IAH and IAD. My flight CUN-IAH arrives at 2:55 and flight from IAH to IAD departs at 4:35, which leads to a connection of 1h 40 min. I will be traveling with my kids aged 7 and 10. We are all Nexus members. Is it enugh time to clear customs and immigration? And would our baggage will ne check up to YOW?

EmailKid Jan 20, 2019 7:35 am

Originally Posted by domtarlsq (Post 30677830)
Quick question,
i have a flight in August from CUN-YOW , connecting in IAH and IAD. My flight CUN-IAH arrives at 2:55 and flight from IAH to IAD departs at 4:35, which leads to a connection of 1h 40 min. I will be traveling with my kids aged 7 and 10. We are all Nexus members. Is it enugh time to clear customs and immigration? And would our baggage will ne check up to YOW?

You should be fine. And yes, your luggage should go all the way through under the trial program. If only there was a sterile transit area for pax.

JimInOhio Jan 20, 2019 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid (Post 30677870)
You should be fine. And yes, your luggage should go all the way through under the trial program. If only there was a sterile transit area for pax.

Would the baggage go all the way to YOW? Yes, both IAH and IAD have the I-->I baggage transfer without customs but the OP is not making any I-->I connection. Only the total itinerary is I-->I but I kind of doubt this situation fall into that program.

EmailKid Jan 20, 2019 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio (Post 30679630)

Would the baggage go all the way to YOW? Yes, both IAH and IAD have the I-->I baggage transfer without customs but the OP is not making any I-->I connection. Only the total itinerary is I-->I but I kind of doubt this situation fall into that program.

Kind of a red herring ;)

You would not pick up your luggage at IAD to recheck it to YOW if you originated at IAH @:-)

joe_miami Jan 20, 2019 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid (Post 30679644)
Kind of a red herring ;)

You would not pick up your luggage at IAD to recheck it to YOW if you originated at IAH @:-)

No, but IAH-IAD, obviously, is a domestic flight, with no customs or immigration on either end.

EmailKid Jan 20, 2019 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami (Post 30679861)

No, but IAH-IAD, obviously, is a domestic flight, with no customs or immigration on either end.

Don't know what point you are trying to make :confused:

joe_miami Jan 20, 2019 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid (Post 30679922)
Don't know what point you are trying to make :confused:

My point is that the other person's comment wasn't a "red herring." It's reasonable to wonder if the domestic flight in CUN-IAH-IAD-YOW still qualifies as an international-to-international connection.