Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General questions: SFO/LAX-SYD/MEL and vv (service, food, connections, etc.) [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General questions: SFO/LAX-SYD/MEL and vv (service, food, connections, etc.) [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2019, 1:27 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Once you clear customs, you will be street side
- you can walk out of TBIT, turn right and walk on the sidewalk to T7 and clear security -- note that may be some construction to walk around
or
-you can reclear security at TBIT and do the tunnels & escalators (see wiki of LAX - TBIT star alliance lounge access or Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer for detailed directions)

It's probably about 3/4 mile via the sidewalk vs almost a mile via the airside method
Thank you.
A few more questions.
Is there TSA Pre at TBIT?
Is the a shuttle bus outside security?
Old Aug 28, 2019, 2:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Is there TSA Pre at TBIT?
Yes.
Is the a shuttle bus outside security?
Landside, on the 7th level of hell (aka LAX World Way, arrivals level). Walking (either airside or on the departures level) is recommended if possible. The traffic is awful.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
- you can walk out of TBIT, turn right and walk on the sidewalk to T7 and clear security -- note that may be some construction to walk around
If you're going to walk landside, you'll definitely want to go up to the departures level.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jmoorfoot
You can't have been there for a while. The VA bus now goes airside the same as QF. The exception is if you don't have your bags checked you have to take the T-Bus (which VA used to use & is now free) which does go via the public roads.
Last there in November 2018. There was a dedicated VA bus which went from the transfer desk to T2 over public roads, as well as the free airport one... plus the train of course, which is just robbing tourists blind. (Seems like there is one of these in every city.. a little bit more convenience into the city center, wall-to-wall advertising, and 10x the price of normal transit.)

Possible I'm out of date on the VA bus

Returning on SYD-LAX tomorrow. Website says parking at TBIT.

What is the process to get to my domestic connection on UA? How long will I take?
Process is something like sit around on the plane for up to 45 minutes since they will not open the door until 0600 local because CBP is closed, go through immigration, reclear security at TBIT (in my experience hit or miss on having Pre open but also deserted that early in the morning) and hit up the *A lounge at TBIT (if eligible, I guess)

From TBIT to T7 is about 1.1 miles airside (WineCountryUA posted the link to the route) and about 20 minutes at a reasonable pace.

Last edited by findark; Aug 28, 2019 at 8:50 am
Old Aug 28, 2019, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
From TBIT to T7 is about 1.1 miles landside (WineCountryUA posted the link to the route) and about 20 minutes at a reasonable pace.
I think that's the distance airside. It's shorter landside (though the sidewalk can get clogged especially in front of T4 and I'm not sure about current construction).
Old Aug 28, 2019, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
I think that's the distance airside. It's shorter landside (though the sidewalk can get clogged especially in front of T4 and I'm not sure about current construction).
Oops, meant airside (edited). The side with the lounge on it
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:22 am

Question: we just checked in for our LAX-Perth flights (United to Qantas), and we got boarding passes for both flights. Will we need to get new boarding passes in Sydney? Earlier posts indicated we would not get boarding passes from United for our Qantas flights. We are checking bags, and I indicated that.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If UA prints a QF boarding pass I assume it will be good. However, if you have baggage you have to recheck it for the domestic sector anyway, at which point you might as well get a BP reprint on QF stock.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mmthomps
Question: we just checked in for our LAX-Perth flights (United to Qantas), and we got boarding passes for both flights. Will we need to get new boarding passes in Sydney? Earlier posts indicated we would not get boarding passes from United for our Qantas flights. We are checking bags, and I indicated that.
Guess you are flying LAX-SYD on UA and then SYD-PER on QF.
As SYD is your port on entry to Australia you have to do immigration, customs & bio security with all your carry-on & checked bags at SYD. Then to the check-in / bag drop for the Au domestic flight. The T1 QF domestic check-in desk my give you a new boarding pass. Will not matter one way or the other.
Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport Click to open the wiki

Airport info PERTH (PER) - amenities, transfers, transport Little useful information. Needs a wiki and update

From USA to Perth may people prefer to fly via Asia (SIN etc). Or with Air NZ (Star alliance) LAX-AKL-PER.
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=LAX-SYD...R&MS=wls&DU=mi

Enjoy Western Australia !

(but hopefully you will be in the air now)
Old Sep 10, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mmthomps
You don't need a BP to go through security for domestic flights in Australia, so the BP is only needed to recheck bags, enter the lounge and board the gate.

Flying QF, there is a transfer bus from the international to the domestic terminal. You recheck the bags at the exit of international and ride across.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

QF also scan the boarding pass as you get on the QF airside bus (so they know where you are)
Old Sep 10, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Two weeks ago, I flew LAX-MEL-ADL on UA/QF, one ticket booked through UA. UA was able to give me BP's for both flights and check my bag through to ADL. Once I cleared customs in MEL, I dropped my bag off at the QF domestic terminal and was on my way with no further ado. The QF BP printed by UA even worked for lounge access in MEL.
kirkwoodj and DELee like this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Early December, UA is changing the planes flying SYD-SFO to 777-300ER with the new Polaris configuration and premium economy.

SYD-LAX still listed as 787-9.
kirkwoodj, mikeyf and UAinAUS like this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.95MM
Sydney arrival lounge?

Sorry if this has been posted but could not find an answer. I am heading to Sydney nonstop from Houston UA100 arriving at 7AM. Does UA offer a shower service to those flying Polaris? The GS desk put me on hold while trying to find out.Thanks
Old Sep 25, 2019, 2:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by too_much_travel
... I am heading to Sydney nonstop from Houston UA100 arriving at 7AM. Does UA offer a shower service to those flying Polaris? ....
There is no arrivals lounge in SYD for Star Alliance / UA.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by too_much_travel
Does UA offer a shower service to those flying Polaris?
Yes! If by "UA offering" you mean a public shower stall that is available to everyone in the restrooms in the arrivals area (after immigration/customs), and is bring-your-own-everything (including towel). So really I guess that's more of a 'no' than a 'yes'...

Having used it once I'll say that it's probably not quiet as bad as it sounds, but it's close...

Presuming you're staying the night, most of the better hotels in the CBD have options for getting a shower if your room isn't available, but again it might be (for example) a shower in the gym.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.