Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a United 747

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ssh

From SAT Lawyer's First Post:

Please also see: http://seatexpert.com/seatmap/320/Un..._First_&_Biz)/ and http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...747-400_B.php]

What follows is my assessment of where to sit on the 744, which I sampled on a recent flight from SYD-SFO. I sat in E+ for three hours before a flight cancellation on Tuesday and in 15K in the upper deck in business for 13 hours the following day, so I feel sufficiently well-informed to dispense advice for those cabins. I cannot, however, make a recommendation for business class seating on the lower deck or the E- minus cabin, so with that caveat, here is my feedback on the upper deck . . .

Where should I sit in the upper deck? Any seats better than others?

Unlike the old configuration of the upper deck where certain seats – especially the exit row seats in row 15 – are appreciably better, on the new configuration, there is not really much to distinguish between the upper deck seats except for the limited caveats noted below.

What seats should I try to avoid?

There are only five seats that are nominally less attractive than the rest. 12 J & K are close to the forward lavatories and the flight deck so you can expect increased foot traffic and noise during the flight. The shell for 14K protrudes backward into the exit door area and partially overlaps with the exit door causing a nominal reduction in the view and a possible cold spot due to airflow penetrating the door seal. 17 J & K lose a good deal of privacy because they are visible from the top of the stairs and suffer from increased noise and light from the galley and traffic to and from the galley.

Window or aisle?

Window, definitely. And I say this as someone who is typically an aisle guy. You get the side bins for storage, the view, a little more peace and privacy being further removed from the aisle, and avoid the possibility of being disrupted by a seatmate climbing over you. Climbing over a seatmate in the aisle seat who is in the sleeping configuration requires a little bit of dexterity, but certainly is not terribly difficult for anyone who is at least 6 feet tall. Those who are substantially shorter than 6 feet may want to avoid the window, however.

Forward or backward?

Doesn’t really matter. Due to the pitch of the aircraft, those facing backwards will have their feet slightly below their heads in the sleeping configuration, but we are really splitting hairs here. Personally, I prefer the backward-facing view from the upper deck because you can see the wing and the engines.

What if I’m traveling with more than two people?

You will not be able to see or converse with the passengers whose feet oppose yours behind the wall adjoining the foot pocket and video panel. In other words, to give one example, the passengers in 15 J & K are fully walled-off from the passengers in 16 J & K. The shell of the seat also provides full privacy from behind. So, if you want to keep an eye on travel companions, you should try to sit diagonally across the aisle from one other. Passengers in 15 J & K, for example, will have a good view of passengers in 16 A & B, and vice versa. Actually, if you are travelling in a group of more than two and being able to chat is important to you, you'll probably want to sit in the middle section of the lower deck.

What happened to the exit row?

For all intents and purposes, it doesn’t exist. The seats in both rows 14 and 15 both back up to the exit area creating something more akin to an exit corridor. No extra legroom or particular advantage to these seats.

How is the seat for sleeping?

It’s a true, parallel-to-the-ground lie-flat seat, which is the big improvement. The arm rests on both sides can be manually lowered so that they don’t extend above the seat in bed configuration, which further increases arm and shoulder room. Unfortunately, for window seaters, there will be a healthy gap between the lowered arm rest and the side bins which means that the extra room on one side isn’t particularly useful since if you stick your arm far enough off the seat, it will essentially drop off a cliff with nothing to prop it up. As a 6-footer, my left foot was a little bit cramped due to the curvature of the foot-pocket, although this was not terribly bothersome. Both my seatmate and I felt that the seat lacked sufficient padding in the lumbar region of the back so we both woke up with sore lower backs.

What is the audio and video on-demand like?

For United and in comparison to the old configuration, great. The video screens are positively huge. There aren’t as many movies as one may find on airlines like Singapore, but still, there should be enough features to keep all but the most demanding and fickle passengers entertained.

As for the E+ cabin . . .

Seat pitch seems indistinguishable throughout, the bulkhead row 19 excepted. I don't care for the seats in row 19 myself because the hard bulkhead without cutouts effectively prevents all but the shortest traveler from stretching out his or her feet. This is true of both the outside seats as well as the middle section.

I would strongly advise against any D seat -- the aisle seats on the port side of the middle section -- because the audio boxes are beneath those seats and inhibit leg room for the left foot. There still should be enough room to place both feet, but only at a fairly sharp and uncomfortable angle.

As an aisle guy, I would go with one of the G seats. No audio box inhibiting leg room and landlocked middle seat passengers can access the aisle in either direction cutting in half your chance of getting bumped or bothered while you are trying to sleep.

There are still no individual seat-back video screens, unfortunately, so you are stuck with whatever programming UA runs on the main screens. Fortunately, the main screens have been upgraded to LCD screens. Sit at least a few rows back from row 19 to avoid being uncomfortably close to the screens.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a United 747

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2010, 9:49 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by flyin´ruddl

Without a travel companion I prefer the LD seats with no seatmate as those 3 inches less pitch in the UD are definetely noticeable.
I thought that FTers' measurements proved that there is no less seat pitch on the upper deck. Only that on the UD, the footrest is longer (and the floor space between the seat and the footrest is therefore shorter).
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS/1K, Avis First, Marriot PP, SPG GLD
Originally Posted by Caphck
I am 6'3" and always go UD. I trade the extra couple inches for a little more secluded and quiet cabin. Did fly the 767 international configuration and the extra inches were nice, but not enough to convince me to go downstairs on the 747. I am a side, knee-bent sleeper so this may mitigate the loss of inches for me. I think this is one of those questions where you really need to experience both to make a decision appropriate for you.
I wish I could sleep on my side, but I can't. I'm a flat-on-your-back sleeper... So I just got back from my DEN-LAX-NRT-TPE-NRT-SFO-DEN trip, and I now hate the UA business seats. At 6'4", I'm just too tall to fit in the seats when they are fully reclined. My head hits the back of the seat, and my feet are crammed into the cubby hole so tight that they hurt after an hour. The lack of *any* kind of storage at all only makes it worse. I made the mistake of leaving my BP & passport in the little space on the side of the seat under the center console, and it ended up slipping and falling under the seat. Had to do quite the contortion reaching behind the seat to get it back I really didn't notice any difference between UD and LD (I tried a few different spots: 14J, 15A, 16J, and 6J). Upstairs was quieter but I had a great attendant on the flight back from NRT-SFO when I was in 6J on the LD. It made that leg quite enjoyable even if I did hear the lavatory flush every time someone used it I ended up leaving the seat slightly inclined so that my head wouldn't hit the back of the frame, and I let the footrest angled down so I could stick my feet in the spot below the cubby hole.

I'll try a few more UA trips, but if I can't find a way to get more comfortable, I'll probably end up switching back to oneworld and fly CX for my asia trips...
Old Aug 24, 2010, 1:05 pm

Is 9K really as bad as seatguru says it is?

Airline/Seatexpert has a differernt opinion!
Old Aug 24, 2010, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
Originally Posted by malgudi
Is 9K really as bad as seatguru says it is?
It sure is. Row 9 is placed directly along the galley as is row 10.

No sleep until the crew finishes work. During flight people tend to walk to the galley to get a drink.
Then the crew will start working again preparing breakfast.

All in bright shiny light right next to you, brrr.

F.R.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As F.R. says. On a FRA-SFO flight (UA 900) I had on top of that a crew chatting away in loud voices, constantly waking me up. IMHO, this makes row 9 by far the least desirable seat of any C-class config I can think of.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 8:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, VA plat
Hrmm, I have row 10 on an upcoming flight. It was that or 6K...

Why the aversion to 6 C-H? Seems they're avoided like the plague...
Old Aug 31, 2010, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
Originally Posted by ekys
Hrmm, I have row 10 on an upcoming flight. It was that or 6K...

Why the aversion to 6 C-H? Seems they're avoided like the plague...
Because it´s a lot louder due to the aircon right above. Row 10 is the second worst row IMO, I´d clearly go with 6K then. However, an aisle seat is much preferable wherever you are seated unless you are a desperate window watcher.

F.R.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Reserved seat in row 45 down to. Less than a week from departure and the plane is just empty, 9's across the board. Can't upgrade so I'm stuck in E(+/-).

Here's the question: would you choose a seat in a 3 or 4 seat section in E+ which is empty or stick with 45, again, a row which is empty?

Last edited by dsquared37; Sep 4, 2010 at 11:25 am
Old Sep 2, 2010, 7:41 am

Programs: United MP 1p, PC Ambassador, GP Platinum
Best Non-Exit Row economy plus seats

Hi, I'm traveling with the mrs. on ORD to HKG and back this november? Any tips on the best E+ seats for a couple?

We have sponsored SWU's pending, but not at all likely they'll clear as we're 1P and 2P.

We would take Exit row or bulkhead seats but I don't care for the immovable armrest on a 15 hour flight.

Thanks!
Old Sep 10, 2010, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, B6
IADtoWhere: ORD to HKG should be on the 744, which unfortunately means no isolated two-seat groups. So... if it were me, I'd choose a DE or FG pair (unless one of you really likes the window, in which case you could try AC or HK and hope no one takes the middle seat).

In my *completely un-statistical* experience, for some reason the middle section middle seats (EF) seem to fill up last... even though they're the quietest seats (noticeably quieter than being next to the windows) with the best view of the movies (remember no in-seat TV) and only one person to climb over to get to the aisle (which in this case would be your significant other). So, on a near-full flight if you picked DE, I suspect you have a better chance the F seat will be open (leaving you in a de-facto two seat pair) than picking AC or HK and hoping no one takes B or J. And if the row does end up full, you'll be in a better situation than being in AB climbing over C to get out, or BC with someone climbing over you (depending on whether you traded your unwanted companion for the aisle or window so you could sit together).

I would avoid the first row (19) as its on the bulkhead and the last row (25) as its next to the lavs. Otherwise, anywhere will do. Closer to the front gets you fewer people walking past to get to the lavs and a better view of the movie; closer to the back might be marginally more likely to end up with the other middle seat empty.

Regarding Exit Rows: With the new config 744, you won't have an exit row in E+ and unless you were 7ft tall, I'd never take the E- exit row 33 as everyone congregates in front of you waiting for the lavatories.

Regarding the bulkhead: I've never sat in the the bulkhead row at the front of the E+ section, but its got the TV monitors (read constantly changing light source when trying to sleep) directly in front of you which would be a big turn-off for me. Plus, fixed armrests and no cut-outs for feet.

Last edited by Cristobal; Sep 10, 2010 at 9:42 pm
Old Sep 15, 2010, 8:48 am

Programs: UA 1K/Global Services, VS Silver, HH Gold
Thoughts on the UD, row 15

I have posted a few times about liking the UD. I always try (and have been fortunate to get) 14a on all my trips. This past trip from IAD-HKG on the return we had an MX cancel. Got on the next morning flight but ended up in 15b. Was not sure about flying backwards, but really did not have a choice.

My first thought, flying backwards, no big deal. Notice it on take off and landing, but not a big deal.

What I did notice for the first time as a tall guy (6'3") was feet cramping. Because of the slight incline while cruising (flying backwards this put your head above you feet) it was a little easier to sleep, but I always felt like I was slipping down the seat when not lying flat, this forced my feet into the foot well and it was a little uncomfortable. Not sure if it was enough for me to abandon the UD if I do not have a forward facing seat, but it was definitely noticeable.

Also, as a window guy I actually enjoyed the aisle seat. Being in the aisle I did not feel like I had to time or space my getting out of my seat so as not to inconvenience the aisle pax too much (I have mastered the console grab gymnastics to vault over the aisle seat when in the window seat, but still tend to disturb that pax when getting out). I also got lucky as the window pax only got out once during the 12 hour flight. Couple of downsides, no window storage bin for easy access to personal stuff, bad views outside the plane, and from 15b you are staring right at the aisle seat of row 16, couple of awkward stares.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
Is 6G such a bad seat? I picked it because I saw that it has the best leg and shoulder room. I am flying SFO-HKG and I would like to know if there are any show stoppers (other than the AC on top: thanks flyin´ruddl). The only other seats available are 6A/6K/7G/8G/10K.

Edit: Now 6K is gone but 6B and 6J became available

Last edited by expressboy; Sep 16, 2010 at 7:00 am
Old Sep 16, 2010, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA MP
Lie-flat seats on 744 with companion

I forgot to ask this in the other thread I started. If I upgrade my wife and myself to biz class with the new lie-flat seats on the 744, it appears there's a divider between the seats in the pictures I've seen.

Am I crazy for thinking that sitting in economy plus might be more enjoyable because we could actually see and talk to each other during the flight?

For reference, we'd be sitting in the 2 center seats (only ones left next to each other unfortunately) in a 2 x 4 x 2 row.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.14 MM ALASKA MVPG
You are in fact completely off your rocker. someone will switch with you.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pjhyett
Am I crazy for thinking that sitting in economy plus might be more enjoyable because we could actually see and talk to each other during the flight?
Yes.

I just took UA from LAX-SYD-SFO. I am not married but I can assure you if my wife saw the business class seats on the way back to economy and knew that she could have been sitting in that the flight would have felt a lot longer.

One of the beauties of the business class seat is you can sleep and when the seat is in sleep mode you obviously won't be able to see the person next to you easily but this should not matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.