Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a United 747

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ssh

From SAT Lawyer's First Post:

Please also see: http://seatexpert.com/seatmap/320/Un..._First_&_Biz)/ and http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...747-400_B.php]

What follows is my assessment of where to sit on the 744, which I sampled on a recent flight from SYD-SFO. I sat in E+ for three hours before a flight cancellation on Tuesday and in 15K in the upper deck in business for 13 hours the following day, so I feel sufficiently well-informed to dispense advice for those cabins. I cannot, however, make a recommendation for business class seating on the lower deck or the E- minus cabin, so with that caveat, here is my feedback on the upper deck . . .

Where should I sit in the upper deck? Any seats better than others?

Unlike the old configuration of the upper deck where certain seats – especially the exit row seats in row 15 – are appreciably better, on the new configuration, there is not really much to distinguish between the upper deck seats except for the limited caveats noted below.

What seats should I try to avoid?

There are only five seats that are nominally less attractive than the rest. 12 J & K are close to the forward lavatories and the flight deck so you can expect increased foot traffic and noise during the flight. The shell for 14K protrudes backward into the exit door area and partially overlaps with the exit door causing a nominal reduction in the view and a possible cold spot due to airflow penetrating the door seal. 17 J & K lose a good deal of privacy because they are visible from the top of the stairs and suffer from increased noise and light from the galley and traffic to and from the galley.

Window or aisle?

Window, definitely. And I say this as someone who is typically an aisle guy. You get the side bins for storage, the view, a little more peace and privacy being further removed from the aisle, and avoid the possibility of being disrupted by a seatmate climbing over you. Climbing over a seatmate in the aisle seat who is in the sleeping configuration requires a little bit of dexterity, but certainly is not terribly difficult for anyone who is at least 6 feet tall. Those who are substantially shorter than 6 feet may want to avoid the window, however.

Forward or backward?

Doesn’t really matter. Due to the pitch of the aircraft, those facing backwards will have their feet slightly below their heads in the sleeping configuration, but we are really splitting hairs here. Personally, I prefer the backward-facing view from the upper deck because you can see the wing and the engines.

What if I’m traveling with more than two people?

You will not be able to see or converse with the passengers whose feet oppose yours behind the wall adjoining the foot pocket and video panel. In other words, to give one example, the passengers in 15 J & K are fully walled-off from the passengers in 16 J & K. The shell of the seat also provides full privacy from behind. So, if you want to keep an eye on travel companions, you should try to sit diagonally across the aisle from one other. Passengers in 15 J & K, for example, will have a good view of passengers in 16 A & B, and vice versa. Actually, if you are travelling in a group of more than two and being able to chat is important to you, you'll probably want to sit in the middle section of the lower deck.

What happened to the exit row?

For all intents and purposes, it doesn’t exist. The seats in both rows 14 and 15 both back up to the exit area creating something more akin to an exit corridor. No extra legroom or particular advantage to these seats.

How is the seat for sleeping?

It’s a true, parallel-to-the-ground lie-flat seat, which is the big improvement. The arm rests on both sides can be manually lowered so that they don’t extend above the seat in bed configuration, which further increases arm and shoulder room. Unfortunately, for window seaters, there will be a healthy gap between the lowered arm rest and the side bins which means that the extra room on one side isn’t particularly useful since if you stick your arm far enough off the seat, it will essentially drop off a cliff with nothing to prop it up. As a 6-footer, my left foot was a little bit cramped due to the curvature of the foot-pocket, although this was not terribly bothersome. Both my seatmate and I felt that the seat lacked sufficient padding in the lumbar region of the back so we both woke up with sore lower backs.

What is the audio and video on-demand like?

For United and in comparison to the old configuration, great. The video screens are positively huge. There aren’t as many movies as one may find on airlines like Singapore, but still, there should be enough features to keep all but the most demanding and fickle passengers entertained.

As for the E+ cabin . . .

Seat pitch seems indistinguishable throughout, the bulkhead row 19 excepted. I don't care for the seats in row 19 myself because the hard bulkhead without cutouts effectively prevents all but the shortest traveler from stretching out his or her feet. This is true of both the outside seats as well as the middle section.

I would strongly advise against any D seat -- the aisle seats on the port side of the middle section -- because the audio boxes are beneath those seats and inhibit leg room for the left foot. There still should be enough room to place both feet, but only at a fairly sharp and uncomfortable angle.

As an aisle guy, I would go with one of the G seats. No audio box inhibiting leg room and landlocked middle seat passengers can access the aisle in either direction cutting in half your chance of getting bumped or bothered while you are trying to sleep.

There are still no individual seat-back video screens, unfortunately, so you are stuck with whatever programming UA runs on the main screens. Fortunately, the main screens have been upgraded to LCD screens. Sit at least a few rows back from row 19 to avoid being uncomfortably close to the screens.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a United 747

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:39 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by F23Coupe
Is there a post/thread/web site that shows what'd happen to seat assignments if a flight undergo an equipment change from older 747 config to new 747 and vice versa, such as which seat will map to which seat? Thanks.
doubt there is a simple one-to-one mapping. Hopefully UA takes in account status and travellers on common PNR
Old Nov 16, 2010, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Having now done business class upstairs and downstairs I can definitely say that the latter is preferable.

As noted earlier in the thread, downstairs seats are slightly longer when fully reclined, which definitely makes a difference. But more important the downstairs has great overhead bin space for those of us who use our carryon allowance to the hilt. I had no problems fitting my 22" rollaboard and rolling computer case in the bins. Neither fit into the window-side cabinets upstairs and even if they did I would not want to reach over some stranger to access them.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Neither fit into the window-side cabinets upstairs and even if they did I would not want to reach over some stranger to access them.
IF you were seated in the UD aisle, and I were the window pax, you would NOT lean over me for any reason to access them. The sidebins are the property of the window pax, IME.

Aisle pax have the "mini" overheads, and if that is insufficient, they can store their rollaboards in the closet aft of row 17.

Dave
Old Nov 16, 2010, 6:52 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by doug_999
Just flew LAX to SYD in seat 1K (having switched from 3K based on reading most of this thread). I can honestly say that row 3 is probably my LEAST preferred row because
1. You are REALLY close to 3C/H (people complain about 1A/1K being close, they really are not nearly as close as all the seats in row#3)
2. The aisle is very narrow and people in row 1 and 2 might bump the seats occasionally when they head to the bathroom (I really tried not to, I swear!).

I personally think row 4 might be better - even if it does have more noise (not sure anyone could be noisier than the two people behind me on my flight however).

Here is a picture of 1A/1K which would be a close second choice to 2A/2K IMHO.

http://s1181.photobucket.com/albums/...eat1Aand1K.jpg
I have to tell you that picture makes row one almost look like a dream come true! Now all you need is a door to make it a private compartment!
Old Nov 22, 2010, 7:20 pm

UA upper deck comfort

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forums, but have been reading and trying to get a gist of things and there's one thing I'm not sure about.

Flying NRT to SFO on UA 838 in the new year and need some advice on whether on UA's 744 the seating is better upstairs for C or downstairs. Right now I have a confirmed seat in 8B, but have heard on here and seatguru that avoiding the 2-4-2 is worth it even for reduced space head to toe. I'm just a bit under 6' so I don't know if it's an issue, but I've been in 8D before on 12-14hr flts on a 777 (<a href="http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/United_Airlines/United_Airlines_Boeing_777-200_2.php">the one with just the middle row of row 8</a> WW2) and noticed that I sometimes have to bend my legs a bit. That is on the old version of the C class cabin, which I have on the way there from IAD.

I guess I'm wondering since there are lots of seats available at the moment, especially on the upper deck of the 744.

Thanks!
Old Nov 22, 2010, 7:25 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Please see the following thread from the Forum FAQ:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nal-cabin.html

The first post gives a pretty good overview of the seating options for this aircraft.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Lower deck for 1 person, upper for 2

I recommend the lower deck for 1 person. It is much more spacious, and much easier to get out if you're trapped by the window. The upper deck is much more private and cozy for 2 people, but it's a tighter squeeze to get out from the window, no question.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 7:58 pm

Thanks much. I didn't know how much had changecd since the original posting.

I'd tried swimming through the original and got stuck in the weeds of "You're fat, no I'm not, yes you are, no I'm not!" As with most things on the internet, the first page or 2 are always the most helpful.

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
I recommend the lower deck for 1 person. It is much more spacious, and much easier to get out if you're trapped by the window. The upper deck is much more private and cozy for 2 people, but it's a tighter squeeze to get out from the window, no question.
I usually love the window, and heard good things about the upper deck.

I was spoiled by the last upper deck experience I had (many, many years ago) where I could sit and see the billowing curtains part from time to time and look straight out the front through the cockpit.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 22, 2010 at 8:39 pm Reason: merge
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
I would keep 8B (if you can't get up stairs) as it is facing forward. Went SFO-FRA and back in 8G and H, and it was quiet comfortable. And both DW and myself are taller than you.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:08 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
The lower deck has more space, but I like the quietness of the UD. My issue now w/ the UD is lack of storage for the roll aboard. There is the closet but if you get on late the space is gone, and the OH is basically non-existent, you can fit a small small bag.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
For anyone 6' or below I don't think there's much appreciable difference in the seats. You simply can't compare the old C seats to the new ones.

The storage containers by the window in the upper deck are the best feature IMHO. There's no question for me which one I would pick if given the choice. Upstairs makes you feel like you're flying on your own personal aircraft.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
I would keep 8B (if you can't get up stairs) as it is facing forward. Went SFO-FRA and back in 8G and H, and it was quiet comfortable. And both DW and myself are taller than you.
So go upstairs if I can, but otherwise stay where I'm booked? Ok cool, thanks.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by mrswirl
The storage containers by the window in the upper deck are the best feature IMHO. There's no question for me which one I would pick if given the choice. Upstairs makes you feel like you're flying on your own personal aircraft.
Completely agree. These are exactly the reasons why I always take upstairs window if I have a choice. Forward or backward facing makes no difference to me.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
Definitely upstairs, and the window is great because of the extra storage. Flew upstairs SFO-PVG a few weeks ago and it was wonderful. Hard to realize up there that there may be more than 300 passengers on-board.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:47 pm

Location: UA 1K 3MM, UA 1P/1K since mid '80s; CO Bronze/Silver since mid 80's, Austin, Texas
Originally Posted by fzwinter
Definitely upstairs, and the window is great because of the extra storage...
I've always loved the upstairs for the extra storage compartment. I have a briefcase that is smaller than a rollerboard so it fits very nicely. One of the real downsides to the new seats is the lack of storage in general. For me it's worth the extra gymnastics required to step out over the passenger in the aisle seat once in awhile.

Reasons for rear facing seats: If you're going to lie flat, I understand that it's better to have your head a little bit higher than your feet. Most big jets have a positive pitch, or attitude (not altitude) of 3 to 5 degrees, which means the nose of the plane is on a sight upward incline. A rear-facing seat keeps your head just a little higher. And God-forbid, if you there were impact, rear facing seats are always safer (see most flight attendant seating).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.