FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a United 747
Old Sep 10, 2010, 9:36 pm
Cristobal

Programs: UA, AA, AS, B6
IADtoWhere: ORD to HKG should be on the 744, which unfortunately means no isolated two-seat groups. So... if it were me, I'd choose a DE or FG pair (unless one of you really likes the window, in which case you could try AC or HK and hope no one takes the middle seat).

In my *completely un-statistical* experience, for some reason the middle section middle seats (EF) seem to fill up last... even though they're the quietest seats (noticeably quieter than being next to the windows) with the best view of the movies (remember no in-seat TV) and only one person to climb over to get to the aisle (which in this case would be your significant other). So, on a near-full flight if you picked DE, I suspect you have a better chance the F seat will be open (leaving you in a de-facto two seat pair) than picking AC or HK and hoping no one takes B or J. And if the row does end up full, you'll be in a better situation than being in AB climbing over C to get out, or BC with someone climbing over you (depending on whether you traded your unwanted companion for the aisle or window so you could sit together).

I would avoid the first row (19) as its on the bulkhead and the last row (25) as its next to the lavs. Otherwise, anywhere will do. Closer to the front gets you fewer people walking past to get to the lavs and a better view of the movie; closer to the back might be marginally more likely to end up with the other middle seat empty.

Regarding Exit Rows: With the new config 744, you won't have an exit row in E+ and unless you were 7ft tall, I'd never take the E- exit row 33 as everyone congregates in front of you waiting for the lavatories.

Regarding the bulkhead: I've never sat in the the bulkhead row at the front of the E+ section, but its got the TV monitors (read constantly changing light source when trying to sleep) directly in front of you which would be a big turn-off for me. Plus, fixed armrests and no cut-outs for feet.

Last edited by Cristobal; Sep 10, 2010 at 9:42 pm