Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a United 747

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ssh

From SAT Lawyer's First Post:

Please also see: http://seatexpert.com/seatmap/320/Un..._First_&_Biz)/ and http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...747-400_B.php]

What follows is my assessment of where to sit on the 744, which I sampled on a recent flight from SYD-SFO. I sat in E+ for three hours before a flight cancellation on Tuesday and in 15K in the upper deck in business for 13 hours the following day, so I feel sufficiently well-informed to dispense advice for those cabins. I cannot, however, make a recommendation for business class seating on the lower deck or the E- minus cabin, so with that caveat, here is my feedback on the upper deck . . .

Where should I sit in the upper deck? Any seats better than others?

Unlike the old configuration of the upper deck where certain seats – especially the exit row seats in row 15 – are appreciably better, on the new configuration, there is not really much to distinguish between the upper deck seats except for the limited caveats noted below.

What seats should I try to avoid?

There are only five seats that are nominally less attractive than the rest. 12 J & K are close to the forward lavatories and the flight deck so you can expect increased foot traffic and noise during the flight. The shell for 14K protrudes backward into the exit door area and partially overlaps with the exit door causing a nominal reduction in the view and a possible cold spot due to airflow penetrating the door seal. 17 J & K lose a good deal of privacy because they are visible from the top of the stairs and suffer from increased noise and light from the galley and traffic to and from the galley.

Window or aisle?

Window, definitely. And I say this as someone who is typically an aisle guy. You get the side bins for storage, the view, a little more peace and privacy being further removed from the aisle, and avoid the possibility of being disrupted by a seatmate climbing over you. Climbing over a seatmate in the aisle seat who is in the sleeping configuration requires a little bit of dexterity, but certainly is not terribly difficult for anyone who is at least 6 feet tall. Those who are substantially shorter than 6 feet may want to avoid the window, however.

Forward or backward?

Doesn’t really matter. Due to the pitch of the aircraft, those facing backwards will have their feet slightly below their heads in the sleeping configuration, but we are really splitting hairs here. Personally, I prefer the backward-facing view from the upper deck because you can see the wing and the engines.

What if I’m traveling with more than two people?

You will not be able to see or converse with the passengers whose feet oppose yours behind the wall adjoining the foot pocket and video panel. In other words, to give one example, the passengers in 15 J & K are fully walled-off from the passengers in 16 J & K. The shell of the seat also provides full privacy from behind. So, if you want to keep an eye on travel companions, you should try to sit diagonally across the aisle from one other. Passengers in 15 J & K, for example, will have a good view of passengers in 16 A & B, and vice versa. Actually, if you are travelling in a group of more than two and being able to chat is important to you, you'll probably want to sit in the middle section of the lower deck.

What happened to the exit row?

For all intents and purposes, it doesn’t exist. The seats in both rows 14 and 15 both back up to the exit area creating something more akin to an exit corridor. No extra legroom or particular advantage to these seats.

How is the seat for sleeping?

It’s a true, parallel-to-the-ground lie-flat seat, which is the big improvement. The arm rests on both sides can be manually lowered so that they don’t extend above the seat in bed configuration, which further increases arm and shoulder room. Unfortunately, for window seaters, there will be a healthy gap between the lowered arm rest and the side bins which means that the extra room on one side isn’t particularly useful since if you stick your arm far enough off the seat, it will essentially drop off a cliff with nothing to prop it up. As a 6-footer, my left foot was a little bit cramped due to the curvature of the foot-pocket, although this was not terribly bothersome. Both my seatmate and I felt that the seat lacked sufficient padding in the lumbar region of the back so we both woke up with sore lower backs.

What is the audio and video on-demand like?

For United and in comparison to the old configuration, great. The video screens are positively huge. There aren’t as many movies as one may find on airlines like Singapore, but still, there should be enough features to keep all but the most demanding and fickle passengers entertained.

As for the E+ cabin . . .

Seat pitch seems indistinguishable throughout, the bulkhead row 19 excepted. I don't care for the seats in row 19 myself because the hard bulkhead without cutouts effectively prevents all but the shortest traveler from stretching out his or her feet. This is true of both the outside seats as well as the middle section.

I would strongly advise against any D seat -- the aisle seats on the port side of the middle section -- because the audio boxes are beneath those seats and inhibit leg room for the left foot. There still should be enough room to place both feet, but only at a fairly sharp and uncomfortable angle.

As an aisle guy, I would go with one of the G seats. No audio box inhibiting leg room and landlocked middle seat passengers can access the aisle in either direction cutting in half your chance of getting bumped or bothered while you are trying to sleep.

There are still no individual seat-back video screens, unfortunately, so you are stuck with whatever programming UA runs on the main screens. Fortunately, the main screens have been upgraded to LCD screens. Sit at least a few rows back from row 19 to avoid being uncomfortably close to the screens.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a United 747

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:25 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
The 2 seat pairs are - but the 4 pack is backward facing
Huh? There is no center section seats for rows 9 & 10 - the last row with 4 pack backward facing seats is row 8 - and you certainly can't see them from row 19.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Nothing available in the Upper Deck? That is a shame.

I would probably go with 6C, but I am much more an aisle guy....unless on the upper deck. rear facing is also better....
15B upstairs just opened up and I snagged it.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 7:23 am
Suspended

what type of power outlet is in biz class? Any adapter need to be purchased or 'standard outlet for US and other countries.

Xie Xie
Old Nov 17, 2012, 1:15 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM ELITE, HYATT LIFETIME GLOBALIST, UAL SILVER, AA EXECUTIVE PLATINUM
747 seating question...

I am booking a flight for 3 from sfo-fra and am seeking advice on the better coach seats.

Looking at the plane diagram it seems that there is more room between rows 42-48 than 34-42. Is this accurate?

Also which rows, if any, don't recline?

42 and 43 a,b,c look good as long as they recline and the diagram of their being more leg room is accurate.

Thank you for any assistance.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
pod/shell easily blocks adjacent row. There is some view of folks across the aisle but need to make an effort to see them.
In some seats you need to make an effort to not see them

Try 7B-7C; 7H-7J; 16B-15J; 14B-13J.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by mike_asia
what type of power outlet is in biz class? Any adapter need to be purchased or 'standard outlet for US and other countries.

Xie Xie
It will accept the US flat two prong or two prong with ground adapter. No adapter is needed.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA, UA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Amb
Originally Posted by eastnortheast
It will accept the US flat two prong or two prong with ground adapter. No adapter is needed.
USB power is available as well.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Anyone has experience sitting in 13AC?

1. Would there be a lot of traffic (12 JK probebly worst)?
2. Would there be privacy in 13C from passenger sitting in 12J?

Thanks in advance for sharing the experience.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I last sat in 13A as a 3P (my upgrade from 13A on the 77 with two e500s had carrier over to 13A on the 747..) and thought it was a decent seat.

Though that was only on ORD-DEN. On SFO-SYD-SFO in 15A, it looked like 13A/B get a lot of the light from the lavs, especially when the FAs come over to put up the security fence & lock both lav doors open. With an eye-shade, it likely would not be a problem.

Don't think there is a 13C on the UD.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:28 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Anyone has experience sitting in 13AC?

1. Would there be a lot of traffic (12 JK probebly worst)?
2. Would there be privacy in 13C from passenger sitting in 12J?

Thanks in advance for sharing the experience.
You meant 13AB.
12JK is worst. 13AB stil may have some passengers standing by waiting for the bath room.
Privacy-wise, you will be looking at passenger sitting in 14J, not 12J. It actully is not bad, because both 13AB and 14JK are tilted slightly towards the window. It does mean that the aisle passengers will have slight less leg room (~1 inch) than the window passengers, so the window passengers will have a narrower opening to pass through to get to the aisle.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I last sat in 13A as a 3P (my upgrade from 13A on the 77 with two e500s had carrier over to 13A on the 747..) and thought it was a decent seat.

Though that was only on ORD-DEN. On SFO-SYD-SFO in 15A, it looked like 13A/B get a lot of the light from the lavs, especially when the FAs come over to put up the security fence & lock both lav doors open. With an eye-shade, it likely would not be a problem.

Don't think there is a 13C on the UD.
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
You meant 13AB.
12JK is worst. 13AB stil may have some passengers standing by waiting for the bath room.
Privacy-wise, you will be looking at passenger sitting in 14J, not 12J. It actully is not bad, because both 13AB and 14JK are tilted slightly towards the window. It does mean that the aisle passengers will have slight less leg room (~1 inch) than the window passengers, so the window passengers will have a narrower opening to pass through to get to the aisle.
Thanks! I meant to say 13AB not 13AC.

My companion and I sat in 14JK last flight, and we were surprised to learn these two seats have very good privacy. When sitting in 14J, I have to lean to my left to catch a glimpse of the passenger in 13B.

On one of my upcoming flights, I have booked us in 15AB, but we will be in parallel with 15JK and 15B will be looking at the person in 16J. Based on my 14JK experience mentioned above, I was thinking 13AB may be a good alternative to 14JK(taken already) for maximum privacy.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 8:16 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat/P100, UA 1K 1MM
Just sat in 12 J/K and actually loved it and felt it was private. People don't usually congregate near the restroom up there so that's not an issue. The only annoying thing was how loud it was when they put the gate up and down whenever someone from the cockpit came out. They were having trouble with it, so it was pretty loud.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:48 pm

Are either of the rows on either side of the exit doors (14 and 15) in the upper deck considered exit row seating? Or, put directly, can children sit in these rows?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Thanks! I meant to say 13AB not 13AC.

My companion and I sat in 14JK last flight, and we were surprised to learn these two seats have very good privacy. When sitting in 14J, I have to lean to my left to catch a glimpse of the passenger in 13B.

On one of my upcoming flights, I have booked us in 15AB, but we will be in parallel with 15JK and 15B will be looking at the person in 16J. Based on my 14JK experience mentioned above, I was thinking 13AB may be a good alternative to 14JK(taken already) for maximum privacy.
13B and 14J are actually the best seats if staring at another passenger across the aisle is what you want to avoid. That is because they are actually 1.5 rows from each other. 13AB is not alligned with 13JK, but is alligned with the partition between 12JK and 13JK. Plus the fact that both tilt toward the windows.

15B looks at 16J, but it is slightly better than between 15J and 16B. That is because 15B-16J seats tilted toward the window (away from the aisle), 15J-16B tilt toward the aisle. On the other hand, the window passenger will be easier to get to the aisle when the seats tilt toward the aisle, so the privacy and access factors are oppoiste.

Originally Posted by lkar
Are either of the rows on either side of the exit doors (14 and 15) in the upper deck considered exit row seating? Or, put directly, can children sit in these rows?
No, not an exit row. All business lie flat seats have the TV wall ahead of them so there is no real exit row.

Last edited by PanAmWT; Nov 28, 2012 at 12:11 am
Old Dec 5, 2012, 8:02 am
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
Question Best seats GF on 747 for single traveller?

I am flying GF ORD-HKG. I've never been in GF and am looking forward to it.

I can choose between seat 1K or 4A. I like the idea of being right up front but people seem to like row 1 as they are closer to their travel partner. Yes, I did search this forum and read through a couple "Best Seat" threads

I am solo. Does that make row 4 a better choice?

Thanks for any and all thoughts and advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.