Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ua1flyer - A "Real" Up-In-The-Air GS

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:27 pm

Hi Tom.

Why stick with UA if they aren't going to move to 1-2-1 seating in BF? Just saying ...

Their current BF seating was state of the art when they introduced it a long time ago, but it's not even close anymore. So many other airlines offer a better experience on the ground, in the air and operationally these days.

Do you really feel locked in to UA these days?

-David
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:27 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by ua1flyer
Nobody suffers or experiences a downgrade when this company becomes a 2 class cabin airline than me. I took a 15 hour trip from LA to Melbourne a few weeks ago in the business first cabin on that 787. of course it wasn't what I was used to in a Global First seat, but the service was great, food was basically the same. If they can keep up the great service and spend an average of 10-15 dollars more on the food/beverage experience it could make a dramatic difference.....just sayin.
When I first heard about the move from 3 class cabins to 2, my first thought was sure, makes sense, biz is a pretty solid product, it really can't be worth the expense for a few self-important celebrities and the product is often available as a saver award. I had this neat logical construct until I saw one of your posts that same day and it hit me. The person who spends as much time in the air as on the ground... The 2 cabin product is really good, but not that good!

If I were King (and there are plenty of good reasons I'm not), I would find a way to sneak in 2 "real" F seats, not available, ever, for an award ticket, maybe not even for sale except to a GS. If no GS buys them, they go to the highest-ranking elite in biz. A GS buying one of those seats gets a special menu with options they choose ahead of the flight (maybe Gordon Ramsey gives you a call and sets something up for you?). The trick is creating an infrastructure that only exists when needed. Other times, it's just a nicer seat, same meal, same service. But when ua1flyer makes a reservation, out comes the fancy china & 25 year old scotch & a flexible dividing wall to create a really special environment.

(Of course, to make room, my seat is going to be moved out under the wing, so if you could be so kind as to remind them to keep the de-icing equipment on full-time... )
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by STS-134
Well, other airlines have figured out how to have each seat take up the same square footage of deck space, and yet still allow all passengers direct access to the aisle....

If the carrier chooses to put fewer seats in the same size cabin, you can have all-aisle access. UA has chosen to stuff more seats in the available space. The problem is not seat size, but the density of the seats in the cabin area. Airlines with all-aisle squeeze fewer seats in the same available area relative to UA. UA cannot create all-aisle access w/o reducing density. The current UA BF density is the equivalent of 38 seats in the same space AA puts 28 (looking at 763). Density reduction is not minimal.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 22, 2015 at 12:04 am
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

If the carrier chooses to put fewer seats in the same size cabin, you can have all-aisle access. UA has chosen to stuff more seats in the available space. The problem is not seat size, but the density of the seats in the cabin area. Airlines with all-aisle squeeze fewer seats in the same available area relative to UA. UA cannot create all-aisle access w/o reducing density.
The capacity reduction is minimal and not really a factor as most airlines rarely sell all their J seats anyways....
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
TOPIC CHECK

We getting a bit OT. There are various threads on premium cabin configurations, such as

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-research.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...3-economy.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...mua-777-a.html
and many others

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Aug 22, 2015, 3:06 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
5k don't be such a hater.Nobody is forcing you to spend those 15 minutes in the club before you board. Nobody suffers or experiences a downgrade when this company becomes a 2 class cabin airline than me. I took a 15 hour trip from LA to Melbourne a few weeks ago in the business first cabin on that 787. of course it wasn't what I was used to in a Global First seat, but the service was great, food was basically the same. If they can keep up the great service and spend an average of 10-15 dollars more on the food/beverage experience it could make a dramatic difference.....just sayin.
Haven't flown as much as you Tom, but I've done 600 or 700 trips across the Pacific. UA went from having the best hard and soft product on TPAC of any airline to being just about the worst....just sayin.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 5:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Coming from an fair stand point, it should be
International J/F fliers & GS.

Than all other premier Members and Credit Card holders.
That's probably a better alignment. We all know UA considers their low-cpm 1Ks to be over-entitled.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Why stick with UA if they aren't going to move to 1-2-1 seating in BF? Just saying ...
Not everyone values the same things. 1-2-1 seating is simply not important to many people. I don't want to speak for Tom, but based on his posts, I'd say he values the experiences he has with United and its employees. Just saying...
Old Aug 22, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Not everyone values the same things. 1-2-1 seating is simply not important to many people. I don't want to speak for Tom, but based on his posts, I'd say he values the experiences he has with United and its employees. Just saying...
I would LOVE 1-2-1 seating rather than the 2-2 ! Unless I am traveling with family or friends. I find it very awkward,especially if I am at the window and have to get up a few times during the night. I'm a big guy and the acrobatics to get into the aisle are not enjoyable for me let alone my seat mate.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by 5khours
Haven't flown as much as you Tom, but I've done 600 or 700 trips across the Pacific. UA went from having the best hard and soft product on TPAC of any airline to being just about the worst....just sayin.
I hear you loud and clear. I miss the days of Dom Perignon,cavier and better food. With the reduction and eventual elimination of the three class cabin,I like you just have the memories. Who knows, someone someday might figure out that a lousy additional 10.00 per passenger towards food and beverage could dramatically improve the situation.Would't it?
Old Aug 22, 2015, 8:54 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I would LOVE 1-2-1 seating rather than the 2-2 !
But you're still flying United, so it must not be a deal-breaker for you.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 9:02 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
I hear you loud and clear. I miss the days of Dom Perignon,cavier and better food. With the reduction and eventual elimination of the three class cabin,I like you just have the memories. Who knows, someone someday might figure out that a lousy additional 10.00 per passenger towards food and beverage could dramatically improve the situation.Would't it?
Rather than viewing expenditures on good food and amenities like pajamas for premium class customers, the management should view them as an investment which generates increased revenues and profit. Perhaps some United senior management should fly their own international First class product and also that of other international airlines and make comparative and relative evaluations as to how their product can be improved. A company can not implement cost cutting and reduced service as a means achieve profitability as a long term business strategy. United is one of the best global airlines, and it can benefit its customers and company by striving to improve.

Last edited by chitownflyer; Aug 22, 2015 at 9:18 pm
Old Aug 22, 2015, 9:08 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by halls120
If this is true, it's a welcome change. LH has First Class, Senator and Business Class lounges, it would be nice if UA did something similar. Since GF is going away, how about converting them to a GS/1K only lounge?
After 30 years as a Red Carpet Club/United Club member I'm done. A few of the clubs are decent (London, Boston) although the food is TERRIBLE. I can't wait for the Centurion lounge in Denver.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by chitownflyer
Rather than viewing expenditures on good food and amenities like pajamas for premium class customers, the management should view them as an investment which generates increased revenues and profit. Perhaps some United senior management should fly their own international First class product and also that of other international airlines and make comparative and relative evaluations as to how their product can be improved. A company can not implement cost cutting and reduced service as a means achieve profitability as a long term business strategy. United is one of the best global airlines, and it can benefit its customers and company by striving to improve.
I'd recommend that UA management fly OS C and see how it should be done.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 3:48 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
TOPIC CHECK

We getting a bit OT. There are various threads on premium cabin configurations, such as

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-research.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...3-economy.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...mua-777-a.html
and many others

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
MODERATOR NOTE

ua1flyer has been gracious enough to share his experiences with us-^ please re-read the post I've quoted and stay on topic.

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator

Last edited by goalie; Aug 23, 2015 at 8:21 pm Reason: Added my moderator signature

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.