Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ua1flyer - A "Real" Up-In-The-Air GS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2015 | 10:39 am

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I highly recommend it. We went in March, and it was, by far, the best trip we've ever taken.
Agree!! I have been six times...five of which were courtesy of the US Air Force and once on a Coast Guard vessel. It will change the way you think about the world!
Old Oct 10, 2015 | 4:11 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
If he is flying all the time earning them, does he ever reshare it with othersdeem them ?
Yes ,I do. I have earned a considerable of RDM this year to say the least. They seem to go out as fast as they come in. Flying my wife's extended family of 16 first class to Hawaii was the best!! Helping my oldest son replace the appliances in his house along with other furnishings using Sears gift cards was great! Giving my younger son a healthy amount of Amazon gift cards for all the gadgets etc he would want was a kick. I used them for long weekends with the wife cashing in miles for high end hotels and rental cars. I love the auctions!!!!! I would actually do more if I had the time!! Bulls-Cleveland in a suite with my brother and my two boys.... That's what I'm talkin about!!!! Last but not least... being able to treat close friends and family members to First Class trips of a lifetime. Life is good. If you are blessed .....share it with others!!
Old Oct 10, 2015 | 4:14 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by ua1flyer
Yes ,I do. I have earned a considerable of RDM this year to say the least. They seem to go out as fast as they come in. Flying my wife's extended family of 16 first class to Hawaii was the best!! Helping my oldest son replace the appliances in his house along with other furnishings using Sears gift cards was great! Giving my younger son a healthy amount of Amazon gift cards for all the gadgets etc he would want was a kick. I used them for long weekends with the wife cashing in miles for high end hotels and rental cars. I love the auctions!!!!! I would actually do more if I had the time!! Bulls-Cleveland in a suite with my brother and my two boys.... That's what I'm talkin about!!!! Last but not least... being able to treat close friends and family members to First Class trips of a lifetime. Life is good. If you are blessed .....share it with others!!
So sorry!!!! my typo!! The poster asked if I ever redeem them not if I shared them with others. somehow my poor typing made that question look so much different. My apologies.
Old Oct 10, 2015 | 5:09 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
So sorry!!!! my typo!! The poster asked if I ever redeem them not if I shared them with others. somehow my poor typing made that question look so much different. My apologies.
All good, I just landed in Beijing from LAX. Sitting in lounge waiting for connection to Chengdu I just assumed it was China censorship of FT.
Old Oct 10, 2015 | 6:25 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Your answer worked either way.^

It's funny... my wife keeps asking if we'll ever go to Australia again, and I can't really explain in a meaningful way (or rather a way she'd understand) that one of the highlights of such a trip might be running into you. We certainly won't be running into you on our CPT-MUC flight next month; second-to-last row in an LH 747. Even if you were on that plane, we'd be getting off it a day later than you.
Old Oct 10, 2015 | 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
All good, I just landed in Beijing from LAX. Sitting in lounge waiting for connection to Chengdu I just assumed it was China censorship of FT.
LMAO. Not far from the truth
Old Oct 10, 2015 | 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Your answer worked either way.^

It's funny... my wife keeps asking if we'll ever go to Australia again, and I can't really explain in a meaningful way (or rather a way she'd understand) that one of the highlights of such a trip might be running into you. We certainly won't be running into you on our CPT-MUC flight next month; second-to-last row in an LH 747. Even if you were on that plane, we'd be getting off it a day later than you.
Mike, If you can use some Global upgrades they are yours buddy. Happy wife ...happy life!!
Old Oct 10, 2015 | 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Mike, If you can use some Global upgrades they are yours buddy. Happy wife ...happy life!!
The essence of a true gentleman and just a great person! Kudos ^
Old Oct 11, 2015 | 12:18 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Thanks, but it's a complicated reservation, with her being on an award ticket. Ironically, because I had to buy up to a V fare, this would have been a trip that a GPU would have actually worked. I know... I'll sit up front and she can be in the back. Um... think that might not make for the "happy life" part.

(Just for kicks, I looked up the fares that can be upgraded internationally, and first thought even V wasn't high enough, but appears that it is. Most of what I knew during that single year as a 1K I've put behind me. I played the lottery that year, buying higher fares for upgrades, and hit only 50% of the time. Nice to be off that train!)

(3rd attempt, maybe I'll get it right. V isn't high-enough fare class to upgrade an LH flight, and that's the gnarliest of the segments, FRA-JNB and CPT-MUC. The domestic and ORD-FRA segments on UA metal are easy in comparison!)

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Oct 11, 2015 at 12:57 am Reason: More info
Old Oct 12, 2015 | 7:57 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
30 Countries Visited3M80 Nights20 Years on Site

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Thanks, but it's a complicated reservation, with her being on an award ticket. Ironically, because I had to buy up to a V fare, this would have been a trip that a GPU would have actually worked. I know... I'll sit up front and she can be in the back. Um... think that might not make for the "happy life" part.

(Just for kicks, I looked up the fares that can be upgraded internationally, and first thought even V wasn't high enough, but appears that it is. Most of what I knew during that single year as a 1K I've put behind me. I played the lottery that year, buying higher fares for upgrades, and hit only 50% of the time. Nice to be off that train!)

(3rd attempt, maybe I'll get it right. V isn't high-enough fare class to upgrade an LH flight, and that's the gnarliest of the segments, FRA-JNB and CPT-MUC. The domestic and ORD-FRA segments on UA metal are easy in comparison!)
Mike, GS can upgrade award tickets with GPUs.
Old Oct 12, 2015 | 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Pat89339
Mike, GS can upgrade award tickets with GPUs.
But I don't think even the reach of a GS extends to an award ticket on LH, right? There's obviously still way too much lowly 2P in me.
Old Oct 13, 2015 | 8:13 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
30 Countries Visited3M80 Nights20 Years on Site

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
But I don't think even the reach of a GS extends to an award ticket on LH, right? There's obviously still way too much lowly 2P in me.
I don't believe so. However, a comfy flight in C ORD-FRA would help before the longer LH flight.
Old Oct 20, 2015 | 12:35 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I'm a first year 1K and hit just 125K miles this year. So I got the additional 2 RPUs. This made me think, how many RPUs/GPUs are you getting and how many are just sitting in your account haha
Old Oct 20, 2015 | 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by JHake10
I'm a first year 1K and hit just 125K miles this year. So I got the additional 2 RPUs. This made me think, how many RPUs/GPUs are you getting and how many are just sitting in your account haha
He's mentioned previously that he accumulates quite a few, and treats his family very well. Don't get the idea he just flies for business; he flies a lot for "leisure" as well, taking actual vacations, just like the rest of us. Seems like he enjoys time with his family. Good thing, that!
Old Oct 20, 2015 | 2:12 pm
50 Countries Visited20 Nights3M10 Years on Site

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
For all those out there that wonder if ua1flyer really does this I can tell you all he most certainly does because I've seen it - and I've also watched him scratching his head on the phone with the MPSC asking about why his miles didn't post properly - yes that's right folks, UA's #1 flyer still battles in the trenches with us every day!

My favorite observation was after watching one particular battle in the ORD GF with the MPSC over the 75k limit per ticket last April - the resentment and then acceptance of the maximum miles per ticket allowable.... Now whenever he can all trips over $7k are booked as two one ways - Mr. ua1flyer WILL get the miles coming to him always (because honestly - he does use them all on friends and family - just like the rest of us).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.