Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ua1flyer - A "Real" Up-In-The-Air GS

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by ua1flyer
I flew up to Sydney early this morning to grab the 3 class cabin to LAX. I am being treated like gold by United's finest, I had a great spinach cannelloni with a nicely paired shiraz.
?! Isn't that spinach cannelloni a common dinner item on F domestic flights? It was being offered on my last IAH-SEA flight... or is this a special version of the same ?
Old Dec 6, 2014, 6:06 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by dmodemd
?! Isn't that spinach cannelloni a common dinner item on F domestic flights? It was being offered on my last IAH-SEA flight... or is this a special version of the same ?
Yeah, I've had it a bunch before. Maybe the Sydney catering has a different recipe. Much more spinach..quite tasty.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Yeah, I've had it a bunch before. Maybe the Sydney catering has a different recipe. Much more spinach..quite tasty.
Not to go off topic but my DEN-HNL was also extremely spinachy and I really enjoyed it. (Image posted on the Let's Eat thread)
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
It's usually spinach-y. My problem w/ it domestically is that it is usually approaching cold in the middle and they only put half the cream sauce needed on it. The raviolis managed to get heated better because they're a little thinner, but again, a little more (red) sauce would go a long way to improving it.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 4:48 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
Easily said by the guy who sits in GF and moved from plane to plane in a Mercedes. The view is always different from where each sits.
I don’t sit in GF and I don’t get moved around in a Mercedes but it’s strange, my view of air travel is almost exactly the same as Tom’s.

This ‘view’ really has nothing to do with where you sit. His point is that this is a mindset and it goes beyond air travel. While some choose to whine, others focus on the positive side. Nobody is saying it is perfect, only that it is more productive.

If UA doesn’t work for you, find another airline. If flying doesn’t work for you, fine another mode of transportation. This is about choice, and that is his point. Find what makes you happy, not miserable.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:32 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
Easily said by the guy who sits in GF and moved from plane to plane in a Mercedes. The view is always different from where each sits.
IVe never met Tom, but I'll go all in on a bet that his favourite airline seat....is home with family. Someone who travels this much with his attitude has his priorities right.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 7:37 am

Of course, there is a huge difference between being treated "like gold" and being treated "like a Gold."
Old Dec 8, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by JetAway
Of course, there is a huge difference between being treated "like gold" and being treated "like a Gold."

?????? Like a gold??????
Old Dec 8, 2014, 11:40 am

?????? Like a gold??????
Premier Gold level.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 8, 2014 at 12:26 pm Reason: snark removed
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: Nothing worth mentioning
Smile Aloha Tom!

The annual streak of 1 million plus PQM is alive and well. United was a great airline to fly this year! Great customer service! I will fall just short of 16 million, but should hit that sometime in the spring. I enjoy my travel more than ever,but most of all the new friendships and experiences I encounter throughout the journey. I have several more trips before I ring in the new year, so at this time I would like to wish all my Flyertalk friends (and great friend at that) The happiest of holidays!!!! Cheers. Good health and safe travels. Hope to see you up in the air soon.
Happy Holidays to & yours Tom! Hoping your end-of-year flying is over soon & you are able to relax & enjoy Christmas with family & friends. I too have made many friends on FT & in the air, and appreciate & value both! Still love flying & travel and after hitting my mileage numbers for the year, am taking some "warm" time here on Kauai. Hope we meet again soon and until then, be healthy, fly safe & keep being the positive influence you are in so many lives.

Maureen
Old Dec 9, 2014, 1:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JetAway
Honestly.. I'm new to traveling extensively. 2 years ago, I traveled <20k miles per year with no status whatsoever, and I had no complaints. Now, I'm traveling >200k miles and have 1K, and still have no complaints. I've experienced very similar experiences with both situations - courteous, friendly and helpful folks.

But maybe my expectations are lower than others...
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:17 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by kenjih
I couldn't help but comment that I noted that several years ago, from flight experience, international F passengers were being monitored closely and taken care of with personalized service at the airport by concierges (like proactive rebookings, asked about any issues with non-linked flights, etc) in a similar fashion that GS are taken care of. That changed post-merger, if not a few years before the merger, to where UA F is very similar or slightly better catering and a little better service with a larger seat than UA J, to over simplify.
I've felt that more or less SQ F passengers and Solitaire PPS members seem to get similar treatment, and anecdotally CX F and their Marco Polo Diamond members. So, if UA F passengers were taken care of the way GS members are, it could be a cheaper way to build brand loyalty than improving the onboard catering, service and amenities to catch up, but someone must have decided that it wasn't of benefit and rationalized cutting it back to where it is today, as far as I can tell.
EXACTLY!!! back between 1997-2004 I had no problem choosing UA full F when it was the same price as SQ or CX. Honestly, UA was just as good in manyy respects - the concierges as you mentioned, Dom in F (I don't drink it but its insulting that UA charges the same F fare as SQ or CX but can't put a bottle of good wine or champagne on board. UA had as good an F product as any one else back then (except BA who had the only suite product back then)
Old Dec 10, 2014, 1:09 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Thanks. I know you are one of the most travelled guys on flyertalk, so your opinion is very much appreciated. Merry Christmas.
I'm hardly in your league. Hope you get some rest with your family over the festive season.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 6:40 pm

Honeymoon # 72

Last flight of the year. Hong Kong to Phuket in about 90 minutes from now. Last flight on United for the year was yesterday SF to Hong Kong. Final totals on United this year 1,058,622 on 491 segments. I have taken a couple hundred trips with my wife, but no better way to end the year than our 72nd honeymoon... back to one of our favorite spots on the planet...Phuket. A private villa with our own pool. A whole week doing absolutely nothing......well not exactly. A happy new years to all of you! May you all experience great health ,new experiences, the best romance ever and safe travels in the year ahead!!!
Old Dec 27, 2014, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Last flight of the year. Hong Kong to Phuket in about 90 minutes from now. Last flight on United for the year was yesterday SF to Hong Kong. Final totals on United this year 1,058,622 on 491 segments. I have taken a couple hundred trips with my wife, but no better way to end the year than our 72nd honeymoon... back to one of our favorite spots on the planet...Phuket. A private villa with our own pool. A whole week doing absolutely nothing......well not exactly. A happy new years to all of you! May you all experience great health ,new experiences, the best romance ever and safe travels in the year ahead!!!
And the same to you Tom. I'm on my last flight of the year on UA now as well - in flight now to Tokyo and then on to Bangkok for a much needed break! Travel safe and all the best!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.