ua1flyer - A "Real" Up-In-The-Air GS

Old Feb 24, 2013, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by schley
I didn't realize what low caliber professionals work in car dealerships.
Apparently you haven't bought a car (in the U.S., anyway) recently...

When I was a sales manager, I found that some of my better salespeople were hired from the car sales business, but there is usually a LOT of drama that comes along with those people. Salespeople generally have big egos, but the entry-level nature and ultra-fierce competitiveness in the car sales business bred a lack of refinement in the way they tended to handle disputes and made teamwork and camaraderie difficult to achieve in our less-competitive setting (the fact we had the level of teamwork and cooperation that we did was something I was proud of achieving). I guess you can take the guy out of the lot but you can't take the lot out of the guy...
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by jackal

When I was a sales manager, I found that some of my better salespeople were hired from the car sales business, but there is usually a LOT of drama that comes along with those people. Salespeople generally have big egos, but the entry-level nature and ultra-fierce competitiveness in the car sales business bred a lack of refinement in the way they tended to handle disputes and made teamwork and camaraderie difficult to achieve in our less-competitive setting (the fact we had the level of teamwork and cooperation that we did was something I was proud of achieving). I guess you can take the guy out of the lot but you can't take the lot out of the guy...
Are you the King of Cars?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 1:00 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
I actually stumbled onto your car lot rescue via itunes 2 weeks ago and bought the series subscription as I live overseas and would be unable to get it otherwise. I liked the 2nd episode much better and look forward to your upcoming episodes. I didn't realize what low caliber professionals work in car dealerships. BTW you haven't gotten into any of the service issues or mechanics in the first 2 episodes will you be getting into that side soon? Also the financing end?
Let me address your points/questions. As far as the low caliber of professional in the car business, An overwhelming high percentage of new car dealerships are working very hard in the area of improved professionalism. You still have a number of dealerships that don't prescribe to that thinking. Even in the most professional operations some schmucks make it through the cracks...but usually not for long.As far as used car dealerships, I could do 20 seasons with them! We only have one episode coming up in a few weeks that addresses service and none addressing finance. Sorry, It's only an hour show....maybe next season. Thanks for watching. I hope you can just have fun with it.

Originally Posted by jackal

Well said. Show me an unprofessional staff of salespeople and I will show you an unprofessional manager.

Are you the King of Cars?
Hey bud, how are you doing? Can you catch my show in the mid-east? No, I'm not the King of cars. That was a show years back filmed at a Dodge dealership in Las Vegas. The Towbin Family. If you ask the wife, I'm not sure I'm King of the castle! lol

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 24, 2013 at 1:12 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 24, 2013, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ua1flyer
No offense taken. The show is going great however. Viewers are up 33% after the first week and it is approaching 1 million viewers going into this Sundays episode. Did you see the first or second episode.
I saw the first episode, ill have to see the second episode to see if i feel any different. So far i haven't found a rescue style show i didn't like so hopefully it was just the episode itself.

Oh, by the way. I am filming a pilot of a travel show in April. I wont be fixing anything or anybody.....except maybe me! lol
I hope that one works out
Old Feb 26, 2013, 4:17 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by CDKing
I saw the first episode, ill have to see the second episode to see if i feel any different. So far i haven't found a rescue style show i didn't like so hopefully it was just the episode itself.
Just watched the first two - the second is definitely better than the first.

However both of them left me coming back to that old saying about common sense obviously not being all that common. With all due respect to Tom, you could have pulled out the sales staff from both of those lots and replaced them with the girl scouts that sell cookies in front of my local supermarket and still have seen an increase in sales!
Old Feb 26, 2013, 6:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Let me address your points/questions. As far as the low caliber of professional in the car business, An overwhelming high percentage of new car dealerships are working very hard in the area of improved professionalism. You still have a number of dealerships that don't prescribe to that thinking. Even in the most professional operations some schmucks make it through the cracks...but usually not for long.
Having been a new car purchaser from 1974 through now, I can attest to Tom's assertion that at least in the sale of new cars, professionalism has improved across the industry, and I think the Internet has driven this improvement. The days of high pressure "you have to make this deal now because this is the last car available" are over. Unless you as the buyer don't do any research.

But seriously Tom, I simply don't know how you can stand to fly so much. My fun meter pegs out at 100,000 miles a year.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: United
i think there is a movie about him on IFE.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: Platinum
It would be very cool to watch your show on a United flight!
Old Mar 9, 2013, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Tom, with the sheer number of miles you clock, I was flummoxed that you spent a week at these dealerships - that's cutting into prime flying time! How do you get so many miles if you're on the ground for five or so days at a time?
Old Mar 10, 2013, 6:19 am

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by halls120
Having been a new car purchaser from 1974 through now, I can attest to Tom's assertion that at least in the sale of new cars, professionalism has improved across the industry, and I think the Internet has driven this improvement. The days of high pressure "you have to make this deal now because this is the last car available" are over. Unless you as the buyer don't do any research.

But seriously Tom, I simply don't know how you can stand to fly so much. My fun meter pegs out at 100,000 miles a year.
I had fun even flying a million miles last year. I don't see myself doing it again because of so many domestic committments at this time though. I will do probably 6-7,000,000 this year and will love everymile of it. Have some great trips planned with the wife and some others with friends and family.

Originally Posted by opusone
i think there is a movie about him on IFE.
That's news to me.

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Tom, with the sheer number of miles you clock, I was flummoxed that you spent a week at these dealerships - that's cutting into prime flying time! How do you get so many miles if you're on the ground for five or so days at a time?
We taped the 8 episodes in 2011. I still did over 800,000 that year. I have been asked to do a pilot for an offbeat travel show that would take me all over internationally, but that is only on the drawing board. at this point.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 10, 2013 at 8:44 am Reason: merge
Old Mar 10, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
I had fun even flying a million miles last year. I don't see myself doing it again because of so many domestic committments at this time though. I will do probably 6-7,000,000 this year and will love everymile of it. Have some great trips planned with the wife and some others with friends and family.
Typo or wishful thinking
Old Mar 10, 2013, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by jspira
Typo or wishful thinking
Typo for sure!
Old Mar 10, 2013, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Typo for sure!

Tom, if that really was "wishful thinking", I'd wager that you're graduating to low-orbit space capsules for you travel to get that kind of mileage in a year!
Old Mar 10, 2013, 9:42 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Tom, was there in the C18 RCC for UA's presentation to you, so I felt as a UA employee, I needed to repay your loyalty to us with watching your show. Just flipped thru the channel guide and saw that episode 3 is 1/2 over on Spike so I turned it on. Dying of laghter. The sales manager was refering to you as a tool (as in 1 who is brought in to accomplish a particular task) and you replied "You're a tool!" ROFLMAO!!!

Anyway, commercial over, so need to get back and watch the rest of this.

Thanks again,
fastair.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA 1k Million Miler
I'm enjoying the show. My brother had a chevy dealership in NJ and the show reminds me of some of his salespeople. I'm suprised the factory doesn't step in with some of the problems you find.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.