Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ua1flyer - A "Real" Up-In-The-Air GS

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2011, 5:10 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
many congrats!
this is incredible-would also like to be on the 10mil flight..

one thing i dont quite follow though is-if you are so busy getting to the 10mil -what do you actually use the miles for?
Old Mar 6, 2011, 9:12 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
As for what I spend my miles on, I have cashed them in on everything from gift cards to hotel stays....but most of all on very appreciative friends and family. As far as the 10million....277K to go.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 9:56 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by ua1flyer
As for what I spend my miles on, I have cashed them in on everything from gift cards to hotel stays....but most of all on very appreciative friends and family. As far as the 10million....277K to go.
I saw you quoted again in a recent CNN article. Looked interesting.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Tom remember you can ask UA to send you a printout of all your lifetime flights then when you have a month, enter them into flight memory.)

Looking forward to the 10 million mile flight. Keep us updated.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by schley
Tom remember you can ask UA to send you a printout of all your lifetime flights then when you have a month, enter them into flight memory.)

Looking forward to the 10 million mile flight. Keep us updated.
That package is going to weigh a lot!
Old Mar 7, 2011, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
That package is going to weigh a lot!
They did it for me, and I'm not even a current UA elite; I just wrote the Mileage Plan service center in South Dakota and asked nicely. A few weeks later, I got an envelope in the mail with a printout inside. ^ It's printed by a dot-matrix, continuous-feed printer, and my measly history was at least 15 or so pages. I'd imagine ua1flyer's could easily approach 500 pages.

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Also look at open flights. I find it more user friendly.\

openflights.org
It's still a bit of a pain to enter flights manually, but I do agree it's a bit faster than FlightMemory.

Having UA's #1 flyer use OpenFlights might be enough of a PR opportunity that jpatokal, the proprietor of OpenFlights and a valued FT contributor, might be able to make arrangements to input the data on behalf of ua1flyer...
Old Mar 7, 2011, 8:03 am

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Probably about 5000 flights. Would never manually do that. I hate balancing my checkbook for Pete's sake.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 8:06 am

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by jackal
It's still a bit of a pain to enter flights manually, but I do agree it's a bit faster than FlightMemory.

Having UA's #1 flyer use OpenFlights might be enough of a PR opportunity that jpatokal, the proprietor of OpenFlights and a valued FT contributor, might be able to make arrangements to input the data on behalf of ua1flyer...
If one could get UA to provide the flight info digitally you can also just pay the fellow(s) that runs FlightMemory to get them all added. Flight memory has a neat set of maps (based on your flights) they'll sell you as well Either way, thatd be a pretty impressive flight history!

And good luck on the next 272k although I don't think much luck is necessary.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Probably about 5000 flights. Would never manually do that. I hate balancing my checkbook for Pete's sake.
I'll bet you don't keep all of your BPs in an album either.

You'd need a large room to store your amenity kits.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 8:38 am

The amenity kits go to the homeless twice a year. As far as the boarding passes, along with the upgrades, I could wallpaper my house with them......not a good color scheme though.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 9:05 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The amenity kits go to the homeless twice a year. As far as the boarding passes, along with the upgrades, I could wallpaper my house with them......not a good color scheme though.
That's a good use for the amenity kits, I tend to throw my few away, particularly the ones I get on the outbound leg.

BTW, great to meet you at the Basque DO!
Old Apr 5, 2011, 6:21 pm

On the way home from Australia today. I will be passing 9.8 million. 200, 000 to go!
Old Apr 5, 2011, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum / *G, Avis First, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Really?

Sounds like the right way to travel, unless you’re at *the* next level and have a little jet of your own. It’s not my business to judge – but with all due respect, if his physical presence is so valuable, the (counterintuitive) act of cutting down on his travel (or at least optimizing it) could actually yield a higher return for his company. Think about all the hours cut off from email/phone, the jet-lag taking its toll on his performance/acuity (i.e. driving tired is just as bad as driving a little drunk), etc. Hats off to him – I’m impressed - and I bow down to the value he brings to the table in front of customers/suppliers/etc but at face value, it seems like a pre-1990's way of doing business.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
On the way home from Australia today. I will be passing 9.8 million. 200, 000 to go!
Looking forward to that 10million flight ^
Old Apr 5, 2011, 7:29 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by MadManMatt
Sounds like the right way to travel, unless you’re at *the* next level and have a little jet of your own. It’s not my business to judge – but with all due respect, if his physical presence is so valuable, the (counterintuitive) act of cutting down on his travel (or at least optimizing it) could actually yield a higher return for his company. Think about all the hours cut off from email/phone, the jet-lag taking its toll on his performance/acuity (i.e. driving tired is just as bad as driving a little drunk), etc. Hats off to him – I’m impressed - and I bow down to the value he brings to the table in front of customers/suppliers/etc but at face value, it seems like a pre-1990's way of doing business.
But that's the difference between being self-employed and working for someone. You can make those judgement calls. ua1flyer works for himself (as do I) and while I find the quantum of his travel enormous (I'm tired when I do 300,000 miles a year) - I do nonetheless fully understand where he's coming from.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.