Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ua1flyer - A "Real" Up-In-The-Air GS

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2009, 9:52 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
The meal situation was personal travel not buisness.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Fredd
Nice job Tom you came across well in the interview. I hope you get a thank you note for your plug for MP over AA .
Old Dec 25, 2009, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1K,VS Gold, PC Plat, SPG Gold
wow

First post after lurking for around a month

Go Tom! or should that be "go again"
Old Dec 25, 2009, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Welcome to FT Errrrr, Congrats Tom, and Merry Christmas all.

Lurker
Old Dec 29, 2009, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
The first year of GS was not bad. I recall many flights when the Captain would come to my seat (almost always upgraded to F or C because I had a boat-load of certs) and introduce himself/herself to me and thanking me for flying UA. I also recall that on most flights into a hub I was greeted at the gate by a UA concierge and on a few occasions I was carted to my next gate. On several occasions I was called in the RCCs to go to the front desk (usually ORD) where a US concierge would greet me and ask if there was anything they could do for me.

This was a nice touch but after the first year of GS, this level of service ceased. I was GS for 2003, 2005 and 2006. I stopped traveling as a predominant part of my job in November 2005 but had already secured GS and 1K status for 2006. Even though I am a lifetime 1P (and am thankful for this), I miss 1K some. I really miss GS. The services mentioned in the article is probably more of an exception than a rule. I may be mis-speaking here because I am not a 10 million mile man. I am a mere 1.1+ million mile (domestic) man.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 12:32 am

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Speaking for the thousands of GS members, we appreciate and are grateful for the above and beyond service we receive on a flight by flight basis! When you consider that the staff was picked from the best and most highly reguarded of employees, the same staff that has taken pay reductions, benifit reductions, and retirement elimination, and they still work their but off to make sure your day goes more smoothly.........WE are all pretty damn grateful!
Old Dec 30, 2009, 12:53 am

Programs: Won Kay
Originally Posted by TA
In this community, I think that statement (and the guy's in the article) is pretty easy to understand. But to the average joe non-flyertalker, who doesn't know a grueling life of flying every couple of days, saying "I will only go if it's in F", it can sound pretty elitist and entitled.

If I were the guy in the story, I wouldn't have said anything that could be reported that way (or without further explanation). In fact, the whole thing seems like a conversation that should have been kept between people of similar elite-standing... It just gets too misunderstood outside.
In the article, he was speaking about flying to AUS. People who rarely fly and might think that statement is "elitist" would do well to follow his advice: avoid UA to AUS in Y. The UA product for that run is pathetic. 14+ hours ETE without IFE? No thanks.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by roadkit
In the article, he was speaking about flying to AUS. People who rarely fly and might think that statement is "elitist" would do well to follow his advice: avoid UA to AUS in Y. The UA product for that run is pathetic. 14+ hours ETE without IFE? No thanks.
I quite agree; always fly in F when going to AUS. But why does it take 14 hours to get to AUS?
Old Dec 30, 2009, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by ua1flyer
Speaking for the thousands of GS members, we appreciate and are grateful for the above and beyond service we receive on a flight by flight basis! When you consider that the staff was picked from the best and most highly reguarded of employees, the same staff that has taken pay reductions, benifit reductions, and retirement elimination, and they still work their but off to make sure your day goes more smoothly.........WE are all pretty damn grateful!
I echo the statement. I am middle of my year-end vacation trip with my family, and the GS agents have been going out of their ways to make sure meeting everyone of my requests during this trip.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 6:42 am

ua1flyer - wow. That's a lot of flying and time away from home. Congrats. I do my fare share of FIFO here in W.A., Australia and that's enough for me to be honest. Must be hard on the family and missing the kids growing up.
All the best mate.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 7:11 am

Programs: QFWP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, HHonors Diamond
Interesting article!

Tom - do you mind my asking where in Australia you mostly travel? Do you fly QF domestically usually?

Cheers,
- Febs.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Febs2
Interesting article!

Tom - do you mind my asking where in Australia you mostly travel? Do you fly QF domestically usually?

Cheers,
- Febs.
Melbourne,Sydney and Brisbane.......mostly
Old Dec 30, 2009, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by ua1flyer
Agree 100% Tom. GS reps even aided my sister this holiday season during the midwestern blizzard...and did it proactively. Managed to get her home to South Dakota in a really bad blizzard!

(gonna miss GS next year, as I do not expect to requalify)
Old Dec 30, 2009, 4:02 pm

To ua1flyer,
Who do you work for? What profession are you in? I would have thought that in this modern day world, video conferencing might have been cheaper? I mean, if your only in town for a few hours, the meetings must be very important for them to spend ALOT of money to ship you around the world constantly.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Oneworldplus2
To ua1flyer,
Who do you work for? What profession are you in? I would have thought that in this modern day world, video conferencing might have been cheaper? I mean, if your only in town for a few hours, the meetings must be very important for them to spend ALOT of money to ship you around the world constantly.
I think you'd find it really interesting to read through the thread. ua1flyer answered some of your questions here and makes other interesting comments throughout.

Cheers,
Fredd

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.