Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1.1 million miles expired 6 wks ago

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2009, 10:00 am

Programs: UA Plat., 1.52 MM
1.1 mil miles is a lot of money in potential travel service and/or buying power.

I would find out where the chief executive of Mileage Plus office is located take the supporting documents and go (fly), meet with him. He/she will grant you a waiver and reinstate your miles.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 10:06 am

Programs: United 1K; 1.66MM
If OP accrued 1M miles from the corporate travel, shouldn't the 1M miles be credited to the company he/she worked for? The company might have something to do with its expiration....Just a guess....
Old Nov 10, 2009, 10:08 am

Programs: CX Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
I would be so surprised (and disgusted) if UA does not reinstate your mileages. I agree with earlier post that you should try to talk to the executive manager and let them know the situation. Please keep us posted about how this is resolved, and I wish you the best luck. You deserve those miles.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by nzpilot
Wow. Pretty preachy, but then maybe that's why you are called an "evangelist?"

As to the OPs plight, I suggest it will be far easier to find a credit to keep the miles alive than it will be to get UA to simply roll over. It's an eye-opening warning to the rest of us. Yrs of flying loyalty means squat in this world of what have you done for me lately....
Yup. UA breaks contracts too.
My wife and I paid for lifetime memberships in UA "SilverWings program"
Guess what?
UA discontinued the program quietly. We were not notified. The fact that we paid for a lifetime membership did not mean squat to UAL.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Intrepid
Yup. UA breaks contracts too.
My wife and I paid for lifetime memberships in UA "SilverWings program"
Guess what?
UA discontinued the program quietly. We were not notified. The fact that we paid for a lifetime membership did not mean squat to UAL.
Did they say who's lifetime when you joined. I always assume it is lifetime of the program. Saves heartache later. When I cross the 1MM mark and get lifetime 1P I am assuming it will be lifetime of the mileage plus program and if I make it through my lifetime so much the better.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 10:54 am

Programs: UA Gold, AA MM/Gold, Hilton Gold, Sheraton Gold
Get thee to a supervisor.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Row3Acer
If OP accrued 1M miles from the corporate travel, shouldn't the 1M miles be credited to the company he/she worked for? The company might have something to do with its expiration....Just a guess....
um no, most FF earn miles based on flights taken for work and in most all cases those miles are credited to that individuals FF account and the company has no control over that. IIRC in the past I think some govt employees didn't get to accrue miles and also I have heard of rare cases where companies collect the miles for their use but I think thats very very rare.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 1:32 pm

Programs: NZ and UA
Originally Posted by ryan182
um no, most FF earn miles based on flights taken for work and in most all cases those miles are credited to that individuals FF account and the company has no control over that. IIRC in the past I think some govt employees didn't get to accrue miles and also I have heard of rare cases where companies collect the miles for their use but I think thats very very rare.
I was under the impression that miles could only be used for personal use so a company using the miles to book business travel might violates T+C?

That said, my friend's company, many years ago, mentioned somehow having employees redeem miles for work. When everyone threatened to leave they dropped the idea. People deserve the "perk" because they also sacrifice a lot when traveling. I know some people like to be away from their family but most would see it as a sacrifice.

There was a story in a national newspaper last year about a guy whose million miles were deleted, not sure the airline. Ultimately the airline stood by its policy. You gotta read the fine print I guess.

That said, the OP need only credit a hotel stay during the period to reinstate, according to others.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 10, 2009 at 6:17 pm Reason: merge
Old Nov 10, 2009, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
Did they say who's lifetime when you joined. I always assume it is lifetime of the program. Saves heartache later. When I cross the 1MM mark and get lifetime 1P I am assuming it will be lifetime of the mileage plus program and if I make it through my lifetime so much the better.
Yes Baze. You made an excellent point. ^
My wife (a lifetime member), passed away before the program was officially terminated and UA scored a windfall (in addition to her MP ff miles)...

As for me - my mission is to kick @$$.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 3:34 pm

Programs: NZ and UA
Yes Baze. You made an excellent point. ^
My wife (a lifetime member), passed away before the program was officially terminated and UA scored a windfall (in addition to her MP ff miles)...

Sorry to hear about your wife.

You both raise an interesting point about "life" though.

How may people get "life " in prison only to be released 10 years later?
Old Nov 10, 2009, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K-MM
Originally Posted by ryan182
I know several forutne 500 companies that keep employees miles for travel paid by the company. The companies then use them for tickets for other employees. I hated it when I worked for one of these companies, but I couldn't argue their logic, especially considering 1. I still got the elite status perks 2. I ended up getting the corporate account combined into my personal account when I left the company.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Exclamation

...in addition to her MP ff miles)...

WHOA! Stop. Do not pass Go.

Work to get her miles transferred to you or one of your kids, if you have them.

When my (actually ex-) wife died, I got her (actually, they were "won" from me in the divorce a long time before) MP miles transferred to our son. All 200K of them. I called to ask what it would take, as there seems to be movement in what it takes on this board. MP told me to submit proof that she had died, and her and his MP numbers. No will, no trust, no fee. It was done.

There are threads about this on this board.

I am so very sorry to hear of your loss. Now: Kick @$$.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 3:53 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Lightman7
I know several forutne 500 companies that keep employees miles for travel paid by the company. The companies then use them for tickets for other employees. I hated it when I worked for one of these companies, but I couldn't argue their logic, especially considering 1. I still got the elite status perks 2. I ended up getting the corporate account combined into my personal account when I left the company.
It's pretty rare, though, and I suspect takes some sort of special arrangement between the company and the airline (well beyond the things like UA's Perks Plus or contracted airfare specific to a company). It sounds like the situation you're describing is requiring a second FF account for the person, from which the company can draw--seems like that in and of itself would be problematic without prior arrangement btw. the airline and company.

I'm glad none of my employers (and current one is indeed Fortune 500 and does have various company contracted fares with UA) requires that, though!
Old Nov 10, 2009, 3:54 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Back when the modern FF programs started (in the early '80's), there were a number of entities that "wanted" the miles of the traveling employee... both companies, and even some state universities. Also, the IRS was even trying to figure out how to tax the FF accounts.

But in the end, most everyone "caved" on this, and gave up trying to lay claim to the employee's miles (even the IRS). I think that some of the FF programs also helped in this regard (they wanted to create a loyalty program to make sure the traveler continued to return to them, not a big "slush fund" of miles for corporate use). It was explained to me as being a small perk to make up for the "joys" of business travel (even back then it wasn't any walk in the park).

I work for a big F500 company; the miles are mine. Apparently this isn't universal, given Lightman7's post.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Lightman7
Like I said, I've heard of it happening but its rare. How exactly did you get the corp account combined with your personal? Do you mean the took the miles you deposited into the corp pool with you when you left?? If so that sounds very odd and seems like it would be far more of an accounting and tracking issue than its worth.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.