Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1.1 million miles expired 6 wks ago

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2011, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K x6yrs, Ex-AAExecPlat, Delta 360, Mariott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AMEX Centurion, Avis First
New to UA GS, expired miles ?

Hello UA ... this is one of my first posts to the UA board, so please excuse my general ignorance around UA's policies

in the years of flying, like most here, I've accumulated a variety of miles in a smorgasboard of carriers ... when possible I've consolidated, donated or otherwise managed them ... In time, I banked miles in CO ... I used to have a semi substantial number of miles (200K+) on United and other carriers, but focusing on United, United expired them under their old policy of requiring flight activity periodically (every 18mo?) back in 2006

Flash Forward ... Registering UA's customer unfriendly policy, I directed my travel to AA and CO and attained a their highest levels of elite status ... now as a CO PPElite, UA has purchased my business and made me a UA "GS 1K" (?)

My question is is there a successful way to engage with UA and have them "unexpire"/"reinstate"/"credit" the miles they erased from my account? ... does my status engender any special consideration? ... am I SOL? ... any detail would be appreciated
Old Apr 20, 2011, 4:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Assuming you are referring to miles that expired years ago, I would say your odds are poor. UA seems to cutoff reinstatement after about a year. But as a GS you can ask for anything, realizing NO is a likely answer.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-threads.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...6-wks-ago.html

One of the open policy issues of the merger is the issue of expiring miles. UA's policy is 18 months on no activity. Many use various tricks to thwart that policy. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html
Old Apr 21, 2011, 9:51 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Assuming you are referring to miles that expired years ago, I would say your odds are poor. UA seems to cutoff reinstatement after about a year. But as a GS you can ask for anything, realizing NO is a likely answer.
This. Officially, you're SOL. But as a GS, you should ask. Maybe UA will make a "one-time exception" and reinstate your miles, or reinstate half of them or something, perhaps for a fee.
Old May 1, 2011, 7:37 pm

Programs: WN,DL,AA,UA,B6,more!
Reinstating expired UA miles: Worth it?

I was looking at united.com and see that reinstating miles is 1.25 cents per mile + $25 fee.

I have 8800 expired miles with UA from a flight to Amsterdam back in 2005.

Are 8800 miles worth $135 in fees (which makes it 1.53 CPM)?

I suppose if I was short that much for an F ticket to Asia it would be.

Also I could keep them as "expired" and wait and see if I need them down the road and do it then. Don't think they can expire twice

Would love to hear your FT opinions on this!

Cheers,

Foo
Old May 1, 2011, 7:41 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Just un-expiring them for the sake of it is not worth it.
If you have a planned trip for 8500-12500 and can use it, then by all means do it.
If you have CO miles, you can transfer and merge them and their usefulness may increase
Old Mar 14, 2017, 10:28 am
THW

Programs: Mileage Plus Million Miler
United million miler expired miles

My (much smaller number of) miles just expired too for the same reason.

I believe the Million Miler welcome package I received in October 2014 was clear in stating that my miles would never expire. Unfortunately I did not retain the paperwork that would confirm this.

MileagePlus responses to my recent emails raising this point have not addessed the issue directly but simply stated that the expiry rule applies to all MileagePlus programs.

Not much one can do without supporting documentation. Did anyone keep this welcome package material?
Old Mar 14, 2017, 10:31 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!
Originally Posted by THW
... I believe the Million Miler welcome package I received in October 2014 was clear in stating that my miles would never expire. Unfortunately I did not retain the paperwork that would confirm this. ...
MM status does not effect mileage expiration.

Having a Chase MP credit card does.

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-thread.html for ways to prevent this from occurring.

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...eb-2015-a.html for the re-instatement ideas.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by THW
....I believe the Million Miler welcome package I received in October 2014 was clear in stating that my miles would never expire.....
I believe it says Million Miler status will never expire. It doesn't mention expiration of miles.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
The miles for this 2MM member will expire, unless I maintain some level of activity each year
Old Mar 14, 2017, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are only 2 options to keep your miles from expiring. Some sort of activity or the proper Chase Mileage Plus branded credit card.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Just sign int your account and make a purchase at the Mileage Plus Mall. It used to be that iTunes could be accessed from there and a $1 music purchase would earn a mile, thereby extending your account. I'm not sure iTunes is still available from there. Lots of other merchants are, though, and any purchase qualifies! Just make sure to log in properly to activate the credit. Even $4 on a restaurant.com certificate you never use will do the trick.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Mar 14, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Old Mar 14, 2017, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have an older MileagePlus Select Card and until recently my MP Account indicated that my miles wouldn't expire as long as my CC account was in good standing. Now it indicates that I must have MP activity every 18 months to keep my miles. Which isn't a problem but I guess something changed with my CC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.