Reload this Page >

Heathrow Check IN-still only 1 carryon?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow Check IN-still only 1 carryon?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2007, 11:03 am

We are going to London for a weekend break in May, and my girlfriend will bring her SLR camera in a seperate carrybag, will that be allowed in addition to a regular cabin piece? I see they mention laptops are ok in addition to the one piece, som I'm assuming camera in a small shoulderstrap bag will be allowed as well.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 11:16 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
According to the AA web site, the hand baggage limit is actually 40 lbs/18 kgs
Yeah, it is, but they also say you're allowed two carryon items, which we know isn't the case for the return flight.

I learnt to check this kind of thing out beforehand upon visiting Australia back in 2003...On the trip from Los Angeles, neither Qantas website nor representatives mentioned to us the (much more restrictive) guidelines for carrying gear back to the U.S. from Oz.

So, hub and I arrived at the airport with our two standard carryons...they let me check one (for an extra fee of course) but we had a heck of a time dealing with what we'd packed, most of which was (hub's incredibly expensive) camera gear.

They finally let me on board with his $3000 camera lens slung over my shoulder and a few other things in a shoulder bag. They literally weighed my wallet. I only got to carry on the camera lens after threatening in all seriousness to find another airline or route home. Plus, their counter agents were almost universally incredibly rude and arrogant, which was shocking given how completely friendly and laid back most Aussies are.

So, I'm packing for worst case scenario on the route home. I'm going to have to carry on the laptop, but I've devised a scheme for packing camera lenses that might work. I'm packing a pair of cargo pants and a jacket with huge pockets as well...

Anyone think I can get away with a largish backpack with straps and buckles that is probably 24" long? If I don't fill it full, I can easily cram it into a cubby 22" long...I think folks mentioned the gate agents will let you stuff in extra straps and accoutrements.

Where are you seeing the bit about the laptop "in addition"? Does that mean a laptop with or without a silicon rubber carrying case? (Most of my carryon at this point will be eaten up by my laptop and SLR camera...it'd be nice to have some wiggle room.)
Old Apr 14, 2007, 11:28 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by view
We are going to London for a weekend break in May, and my girlfriend will bring her SLR camera in a seperate carrybag, will that be allowed in addition to a regular cabin piece? I see they mention laptops are ok in addition to the one piece, som I'm assuming camera in a small shoulderstrap bag will be allowed as well.
ONE BAG! ONE BAG! You need to put your camera in your ONE BAG! No shoulderstrap bags allowed if you already have another bag! ONE BAG means ONE BAG! No laptops. No purses. No hand bags. No laptop bags. Only ONE BAG!

(this only applies to flights departing from the UK. Arrivals but not transfers are fine.)

(If you plan for anything else - blame yourself for not following this advice. I would say that the few reports of additional items allowed are mistakes by the agents.)

(And I don't like it either.)

SmilingBoy.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 11:35 am

Programs: US Silver
What smilingboy said! I don't know where you saw that laptops are OK, but ONLY if they fit in that one bag. Note: we are talking outbound from the UK. Coming in, depending on who you are flying with, you should be OK. To reemphasise this point I have seen people with 2 bags given 2 options: go back and check one, or put it in the trash. Bearing how long it can take to check-in, the trash has seemed quite a popular option.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 11:39 am

Thanks for your clear answer SmilingBoy, we booked with BA and their website states the following:

Passengers travelling to the UK only

There are currently restrictions in place for passengers departing from the UK or connecting onto another flight in the UK. Please see above for further information.

These allowances apply for all passengers entering the UK only:

* one standard-sized bag - maximum size of the bag, 56x45x25cm (22x18x10in)
* plus one laptop or briefcase

We will certainly pack the camera in a bigger carry-on, she can just take it out afterwards if needed.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 11:43 am

That's for TO the UK. It's the going out you potentially have problems with.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 11:44 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by view
Thanks for your clear answer SmilingBoy, we booked with BA and their website states the following:

Passengers travelling to the UK only

There are currently restrictions in place for passengers departing from the UK or connecting onto another flight in the UK. Please see above for further information.

These allowances apply for all passengers entering the UK only:

* one standard-sized bag - maximum size of the bag, 56x45x25cm (22x18x10in)
* plus one laptop or briefcase

We will certainly pack the camera in a bigger carry-on, she can just take it out afterwards if needed.
As you can see, this is only for your outbound to the UK. For your flight from the UK, other restrictions apply (from your extract it appears that they are mentioned in the e-mail as well).

SmilingBoy.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 12:17 pm

Whoops, my mistake. So getting out of there will be the potential problem then, camerbag in carry-on bag it will be on the return leg.

Thanks both.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Size matters

I have three carry-ons. One fits just under the 56 cm limit for height, with wheels, the other two are 59 cm tall.

It is in width and depth that they don't come close to the new EU permitted size for your one bag. They are much smaller than the sizes permitted:

* 45 centimetres wide (approximately 17.7 inches) -- mine are both 35 cm

* 25 centimetres deep (approximately 10 inches) -- mine are 17 cm deep

Can anyone tell me what brands actually take advantage of EU permitted size (that is, 56 x 45 x 25 cm) and where they can be bought?

Thanks.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 7:10 pm

Hey folks, I can't find anything about *checked* bags. I'm assuming I'm allowed two bags with a limit of 22 kilos apiece (without paying fees) - I would assume the flat limit is 31 kilos after paying the extra weight fee. I can't find any information at all about permitted sizes, though.

Would someone be so kind to let me know if I'm off base with this? Thanks.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 8:02 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
Hey folks, I can't find anything about *checked* bags. I'm assuming I'm allowed two bags with a limit of 22 kilos apiece (without paying fees) - I would assume the flat limit is 31 kilos after paying the extra weight fee. I can't find any information at all about permitted sizes, though.

Would someone be so kind to let me know if I'm off base with this? Thanks.

I think this varies by carrier - BA for example have recently severely limited the amount of checked baggage.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 8:03 pm

This is totally specific to the airline you're travelling on, class of service, and sometimes, destination andd/or FF status.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 12:08 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by spainflyer
Can anyone tell me what brands actually take advantage of EU permitted size (that is, 56 x 45 x 25 cm) and where they can be bought?
As I mentioned in another thread
Originally Posted by nbevan
I got the Delsey Expandream Expandable Trolley Case 55cm 55cm x 39cm x 20cm expandable to 25cm. Other features I appreciate are 2 internal compartments and a built in combination zip lock (no more lost padlocks!).
It would really be handy to have a bag that took advantage of the maximum width (45 cm), although you would then be too wide to wheel it down the aircraft aisle.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 10:44 pm

Thanks, folks. I think I'm good, as I've got one 60" bag and am just barely over 50 lbs. with it. I may have one other (packed a duffel) on the way back, but no way will I hit 50 lbs. in both bags - unless I buy a *lot* of Union Jack t-shirts.

Also packed one of those fishermens' vests with the zillion pockets and a pair of cargo pants with huge side pockets, so I'm all set if I have to carry all my foodstuffs and jewelry on my person...will report back with any checkin hijinx. I'm may go for the gusto and try to carry on a pillow in addition to my carryon (though it's older and I can trash it if needed.) Thanks for the info!

(Oh, and p.s. - just found out about the American Airlines' 90 day challenge today and will come within 50 points of clearing Gold Elite with this roundtrip flight. Three cheers for Budget Travel magazine, which ran the AA story this month.)

[Edit: Just reread the whole thread...]

And it will soon cost £80 ($160) (or $80 for coach) in tax to have the priviledge of using a UK airport )
???? What new fresh hell is this...?

Was talking to a flight-attendant friend about these restrictive carryon rules, and she pointed out it probably has everything to do with conserving fuel. The heavier the plane, the harder it is to get good mileage. If they can just harrass all the pax into packing/carrying nearly nothing, the more profit for airlines, all this talk about baggage handler safety regardless.

Makes sense to me!

Last edited by divemistressofthedark; Apr 15, 2007 at 11:02 pm
Old Apr 16, 2007, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by Markie
I think this varies by carrier - BA for example have recently severely limited the amount of checked baggage.
No they haven't, they've reduced it to the levels that many US airlines have used for a couple of years now.

Read the baggage rules for BA, they are still generally BETTER than most other airlines for even cattle class travellers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.