Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow Check IN-still only 1 carryon?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Heathrow Check IN-still only 1 carryon?

My wife and I are flying to LHR this week J class. On way back are they still enforcing the 1 bag rule on carryon or can you have suitcase and briefcase?
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:25 am

Still being enforced strictly in the UK - even at Fast trak (the F/J security line).

It is 1 bag per person - but a handbag for example will count as the bag!
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:42 am

Location: Palo Alto. Previously, below the approaches to Rwy 19 @ DCA or 28 @ ORD
Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by 1/4MM@20
It is 1 bag per person - but a handbag for example will count as the bag!
Correct. It is important to emphasize that the limit is strictly 1 bag. If taking a carry-on, you will not be able to carry anything else, even a laptop case or a purse.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by ua_to_ord
Correct. It is important to emphasize that the limit is strictly 1 bag. If taking a carry-on, you will not be able to carry anything else, even a laptop case or a purse.
Are the same rules in force for Ireland (SNN or DUB)?
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:48 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
If you have a separate bag (handbag, briefcase, etc.) make sure it can be crammed into your main bag, so you'll have just one bag to go through security.

However, on January 2 they (Fasttrack security in T3) did allow my spouse to bring a separate pillow in addition to her rollaboard. I simply asked the security goon if they would allow the pillow, or did I hafta stuff it into my shirt and pretend I was Santa Claus. Goon placed pillow in a tub and ran it through conveyor. Your Mileage May Definitely Vary.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, OnePass
I flew back through LHR last Friday 12th. Enforcement is spotty in the transfer process in Terminal 4, and we noticed a few people getting through. But it's risky...
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:06 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by zman
No, as of 12/1 (when last I flew ex-DUB)
Old Jan 15, 2007, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Brilliant!

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
If you have a separate bag (handbag, briefcase, etc.) make sure it can be crammed into your main bag, so you'll have just one bag to go through security.

However, on January 2 they (Fasttrack security in T3) did allow my spouse to bring a separate pillow in addition to her rollaboard. I simply asked the security goon if they would allow the pillow, or did I hafta stuff it into my shirt and pretend I was Santa Claus. Goon placed pillow in a tub and ran it through conveyor. Your Mileage May Definitely Vary.
Fantastic way to handle this!
Old Jan 15, 2007, 12:17 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
1 carryon limit at all EU airports by mid-2007

Originally Posted by zman
The EU has now adopted a regulation requiring all EU financed airports to enforce the same limit of 1 bag per pax; this is being phased in over 2007. So, during 2007 all major airports in Europe will have the same limit as currently exists in the UK. The exact date for this enforcement has not been announced by most of the airports, but the majority will be before summer 2007. This applies to all the airports (FRA, CDG, MAD, DUB, etc.) and means an end to the carryon as we know it, at least for EU travel.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
Good to hear they let you keep the pillow.

Remember: this is nothing to do with security and everything to do with BAA making money. They restrict you to one carry on, while letting you take on board as much duty free shopping purchased airside as you like.

I wonder why?
Old Jan 15, 2007, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
How strictly are they enforcing the size of the carry-on? In other words, if you have a bag that's a few inches bigger than whatever the size limit is, would they probably stop you from carrying it on with you?
Old Jan 15, 2007, 1:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by salut0

Remember: this is nothing to do with security and everything to do with BAA making money. They restrict you to one carry on, while letting you take on board as much duty free shopping purchased airside as you like.

I wonder why?

Umm - surely the fact that Duty free is the in the sterile secure zone after security check in might impact on whether or not the products carried on board from there might be more secure?

Not sure how this generates revenue for BAA. There are still the same DF limits as previously so people will/can buy as much as they want/are able to? What BAA now have is PAX in security lines for 30-60 mins rather than 10 mins which means reduced time to shop airside - which I think means that they are likely to spend less money. Also, psychologically someone who has been stuck in a security line for 30 mins, had to dump stuff to get security and is generally p155ed off is probably less likely to go shopping - especially as they have been told ONE BAG ONLY except for duty free

Given that the rest of the EU is following this and BAA dont own all the airports in the EU (do they?) not sure why this is ALL ABOUT BAA?

Also - how is this an AA specific question.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 1:18 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP MM, HH Diamond
at LHR - VERY VERY stricktly. I have 22" rollerboard which will fit into the sizer - just needs a rather hefty shove ... and as the sizers at LHR are not at ground level (more waist level) have been asked to check it before - but have said that I will take the risk and if they want to measure it is fine. Have only had a "heated debate" once but manage to take it carry-on in the end. In the US it fits into the sizers with no problems.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by salut0

This is not a BAA requirement but a DfT regulation

Dave
Old Jan 15, 2007, 1:28 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
How strictly are they enforcing the size of the carry-on? In other words, if you have a bag that's a few inches bigger than whatever the size limit is, would they probably stop you from carrying it on with you?
The strictness varies by airport and checker. At LHR I have seen bags rejected when less than 1/2 inch oversize (and the wheels/handles are included in the size limit, which is why a lot of bags get into trouble). They do let you try to stuff your bag into the sizing gauge, so soft bags have an advantage over hard bags.

It isn't uniformly enforced, maybe 10% of oversize bags will get through on any given day, some very oversize, while you can be rejected with 1/4 inch oversize. The big problem is the consequence -- need to go landside and check the bag, which takes time and often means missing a connection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.