Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive London Airports Transport Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2006, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by nologic
National Express won;t seem to price one way fares from LGW-LHR.
Do you want to try it using this link? I'm getting reliable one-way fares: £18 one-way for a normal adult.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 5:43 pm

Returned 7/17

Had posted requesting info prior to our trip.
We Used: JustAirports.com Very satisfied. Booked online.
Reasonable.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by nologic
National Express won;t seem to price one way fares from LGW-LHR. Judging from the roundrtip fare, it seems the one way fare is about GBP 35 compared with a private car for GBP 55?
Change the option for "return" to "one way" (the box below the departing date)

www.nationalexpress.com
Old Aug 3, 2006, 6:20 pm

Programs: in C/C++, Python, SQL
Originally Posted by Alan Duchan
Has anyone used a van service called Hotelink?

Unless I missed it, it is not mentioned on this thread. It's a van service from Heathrow and Gatwick to Central London hotels. Cost is £16 pounds from Heathrow and £20 from Gatwick if you book online. This seems like a decent price for a person travelling alone.
I found this post from a year and a half ago, and was wondering if anyone has any recent experience with this.

Backstory--I'm heading to London for the first time later this month, flying into LHR, staying what looks to be between the Covent Garden and Charing Cross tube stops, according to the map. I know I could take HEX to Paddington, and then take either the tube (and deal with luggage on the tube and walking to the hotel) or a cab ($$$--er, I mean £££). This Hotelink service seemed like a decent alternative for about the same price as the HEX/tube combination. I realize it'd be slower, but wasn't sure how much slower. Also wasn't sure how many other hotels it might be hitting up first.

I'd welcome any thoughts/suggestions--thanks.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 7:14 am
prh

Programs: AA Platinum Plus; One World Emerald
I'm in the midst of arranging a transfer from Terminal 4 to Piccadilly. I've gotten pretty comparable estimates from AirportDirect and JustAirports for a sedan transfer. Anyone have experience with either or both? Is there a better outfit I should try?
Old Aug 23, 2006, 8:27 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Personally, I'd had nothing but good experiences with Airport Direct, until recently, when an hour's delay nearly cost me my holiday in the US (try to flag down a black cab on the Wandsworth Road at 6am - not my idea of fun!) I now use Just Airports, and they've been OK so far: one 15 minute delay, but nothing worse.

Addison Lee are supposed to be a level above both, but their prices reflect this.

Note that the minicab companies are being hit hard by the baggage restrictions at the moment: apart from the crowding adding to the congestion around the airports, luggage reclaim has been rather slow at both LHR and LGW. As a result, minicabs picking up people either have to wait longer (higher parking charges on an already marginal fare, waiting time meaning the job takes longer), or turn up later and anger lucky (or hand-luggage) passengers.

If you know you'll be out quickly, do tell them. But be prepared for a slight wait.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 5:49 am
prh

Programs: AA Platinum Plus; One World Emerald
Thanks!
Old Nov 25, 2006, 10:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
Either the link to National Express is now dead, or that website is down. At any rate, could someone tell me if the Marriott LHR is one of the free stops on the Hoppa, or is it within the 4-quid radius? Thanks in advance, and kudos upon kudos to stut for one of the most useful threads on FT! (and possibly the entire Web!)
Old Nov 26, 2006, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Thanks - I'll double-check the links. Not sure what you mean by the question: one of the Hoppa service does serve the Marriott, but the Hoppa is a paid-for service.

However, this hotel is on the Bath Road (A4), so easily reached inside the free zone for regular buses. See this map for details. You will need to reach the central bus station rather than going from the terminal (assuming T123).
Old Nov 26, 2006, 7:48 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Thanks for the great work ! One detail : I guess the LCY section could have updated information on the DLR.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 11:59 am

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by stut
Thanks - I'll double-check the links. Not sure what you mean by the question: one of the Hoppa service does serve the Marriott, but the Hoppa is a paid-for service.

However, this hotel is on the Bath Road (A4), so easily reached inside the free zone for regular buses. See this map for details. You will need to reach the central bus station rather than going from the terminal (assuming T123).
Thanks, stut - i think I misinterpreted the Hoppa service. I thought the Hoppa was free if within a certain radius - I am coming into T3, so I'll head for the Central Bus station and take the free one.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:01 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (4 MM), SPG LT Plat (Bonvoy doesn’t exist to me), HH Diamond via cc, Hyatt Globalist
The fantastic opening post mentions prices for the private car companies from airport to central London, but not airport to airport. Does anyone know what the fare from LGW north to LHR T4 would be from a company like Addison Lee? I'd emailed them, but haven't heard back yet. I'd prefer to take the coach, but it appears that it doesn't run until very late in the day on Christmas Day (if at all).
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:25 am
Original Poster

www.where2guv.com is a handy site to judge taxi fares - you can usually take off 10-20% to get to the 'real' price of using a local company, but Addison Lee are a premium service, and generally charge more than shown.

It is currently quoting £142 for a transfer on Xmas Day. You'll not find anything cheap on a day like that...
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (4 MM), SPG LT Plat (Bonvoy doesn’t exist to me), HH Diamond via cc, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks for the quick response! Looks like I'm in a bit of a bind - the LGW and LHR Express trains don't seem to be running that day either ("replacement coach service"). Guess I picked a bad day to be doing this...
Old Dec 19, 2006, 11:01 am
Original Poster

England pretty much closes down on Christmas Day (and Scotland on New Year's Day), so generally, it's the Gatwick Express, and a handful of hospital bus services, but nothing else in London at all. However, as the track is being completely rebuilt, not even the Gatwick Express is running this year. You could get the coach from Heathrow to Paddington, a taxi to Victoria, then a coach from Victoria to Gatwick... Well, you'd see some of the sights, at least Or at least a lot of suburbia...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.