Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive London Airports Transport Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2005, 3:55 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Heathrow Connect has launched today

The Heathrow Connect service has launched today (12 June 2005).

The service departs from London Paddington and calls at Ealing Broadway, West Ealing, Hanwell, Southall and Hayes & Harlington stations, with a half hourly service for most of the day.

The service calls at Terminals 1,2,3, but not Terminal 4. According to press reports, the fares from some stations are relatively expensive to other transport options.

Timetables can be downloaded from here (scroll down to the section Timetable for period 12 June 2005 to 10 December 2005):

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/l...timetables.php

As far as I am aware, this new service does not affect the Heathrow Express, the direct service from London Paddington to Terminals 1,2,3 and 4.

Last edited by ian001; Jun 12, 2005 at 4:56 am Reason: Added comment about pricing and T4.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 4:59 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Thanks for the last few posts...

This is mainly here to remind me to do an update when I'm more awake.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 4:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
2 for 1 tickets on the Heathrow/Stansted/Gatwick Express

This month (like every August for the past few years) Time Out magazine is giving away 2-for-1 vouchers for use on the express trains between the airports and central London.

Full details here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=458682
Old Aug 15, 2005, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Royal Ambassador, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Tesco Blue
It's worth noting that the National Rail GroupSave ticket is available on Stansted Express. This allows 3 or 4 passengers travelling together to travel for the price of 2 - it's not widely advertised, but as Stansted Express is operated by "One" Railway, it is bound to offer these fares. However, only certain ticket types are eligible for this offer, and the Open Return (which is the normal return ticket available) is excluded, and cunningly there are no Saver fares available on that route. So the way around this is to buy Cheap Day Return tickets, which are only 80p more than a Single ticket, and just use them in one direction. It may seem a bit complex, but there are some good savings to be made, especially for groups of 4.

3 x Open Single = £43.50
4 x Open Single = £58
3 or 4 x Cheap Day Return (for price of 2) = £30.60

3 x Open Return = £72
4 x Open Return = £96
3 or 4 x Cheap Day Return (for price of 2) = £30.60 each way = £71.20

Also, Gatwick Express has a similar ticket which they call "four for two". IN both cases, these tickets can only be bought from station ticket offices.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ChickenOrBeef
Also, Gatwick Express has a similar ticket which they call "four for two". IN both cases, these tickets can only be bought from station ticket offices.
Actually, the Gatwick Express "4 for 2" tickets can be booked online. When you click Book Online, the first page asks you if you want to book "4 for 2" tickets or normal tickets.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Royal Ambassador, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Tesco Blue
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Actually, the Gatwick Express "4 for 2" tickets can be booked online. When you click Book Online, the first page asks you if you want to book "4 for 2" tickets or normal tickets.
Ah yes, well spotted. Even easier then. It's a bit hidden though - I would have thought most people would try and book from the home page grid.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ChickenOrBeef
It's a bit hidden though - I would have thought most people would try and book from the home page grid.
True, although you still get to it if you click the Special Offers button in the home page grid.

Mind you, I don't blame companies for making you work just a little bit to find the special offers.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 6:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Airport Executive from LHR = GBP25

Thought I'd post that rates for Airport Executive (www.airportexecutive.co.uk) are GBP25 for LHR pickups to the city and GBP19 for dropoffs at LHR from the city. I will be using them this Firday and Monday and will report back on how things go.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 1:42 pm

I will be arriving at LHR in about 10 days, and need to transfer to Stansted. I know there is a National Express bus, but that it seems like it could take nearly forever (especially since I'm arriving at LHR at 7 AM).

Tell me if there is a better way than this: Heathrow Express to Paddington, tube from Paddington to Liverpool Street, then Stansted Express. I figure it should two hours or less, barring any disruptions in service. Does that seem reasonable?

It's ironic that it will cost more for this trip between airports than it will for my flight from Stansted to Biarritz (which is under £20)!
Old Oct 20, 2005, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Read in a newsgroup thread the other day that there is some company called Cosmo offering transfers from LHR to London hotels for $20. Not 20 pounds, unless it was a typo or they didn't know how to use the pound symbol in a USENET post.

Anyone heard of Cosmo? They didn't post a link.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 2:41 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Hello all London transport gurus.

Just posted the following post in the BA forum and at the same time stumbled on this thread. Unfortunately this thread does not answer my questions, however hopefully one of you maybe able to assist:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4901739

Thanking you all in advance.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 10:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
Is the Airbus Express running or not?

I have been looking for hours online for info about LHR to our hotel (The Rembrandt next to Harrods in London). In past years we took the Airbus as it stopped at the hotel. Some boards say the Airbus has stopped, others refer to the Airbus Express or Airbus Direct. I am with my elderly Mother and will have too much luggage to take the tube ( have previous experience schlepping the bags that way, never again ). From what I gather, National Express only goes all the way to Victoria Station, then we have to backtrack by taxi?

The question is, is the Airbus just in another form and still running, or do I have to persue another option? A taxi is just too high and hotellink is $60 each way, so this is on a budget. Any help will be appreciated, and all my searches here under Airbus comes up with 200+ posts concerning the aircraft, not the bus!!

JudyJFLA

Last edited by JudyJFLA; Nov 25, 2005 at 10:04 pm
Old Nov 26, 2005, 11:47 pm

I had posted question a few weeks ago about the transfer time from LHR to Stansted... Here are the results. I guesstimated under 2 hours, but it took about 2-1/4 hours, and I just barely made my RyanAir flight -- I ran up to the gate just as they were closing it 45 minutes before departure. (Regardless of the fact that the arriving plane did not land until just minutes before the scheduled departure time, and we were all standing around for a long time before departure...)

Heathrow Express took longer than advertised, the Central line from Paddington to Liverpool St took way longer than promised on the London Transport website, and the Standted Express was about an hour rather than 45 minutes as promoted.

It didn't help that I just missed one Stansted Express train, and the next one left at least five minutes late. If you get off the tube at Liverpool St., be sure to go straight ahead and to the left to find Stansted Express trains and tickets. If you go to the right, the ticket lines are longer and more confusing, and there are no signs to redirect you the other way towards Stansted Express.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 11:54 am

Location: Near Chicago and Under the MDW and ORD Flight Paths, IL, USA
Programs: UA recovering Premier
Heathrow Express Class of Service?

I was advised by my London office to use Heathrow Express to and from London. When I looked at the website, I noted that they offer two classes of service. For a 15 minute (scheduled) trip, what are the advantages of First Class? Is it worth it?

Other than big seats and a coat closet, I'm not seeing any major advantages.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
How much was it again to Paddington?

How is it for carrying luggage, including say a 24-inch case?

What are the options from Paddington? Is it viable to take luggage around on the metro?

Or are the trains so packed that there's only standing room only at certain times?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.