Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive London Airports Transport Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2004, 5:15 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Blimmin eck - you're not kidding with the title The Definitive London Airports Transport Thread

Thanks stut ^^
Old Oct 13, 2004, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
stut, you shouldn't really be posting it here for everyone to see it for free - it's worthy of being made into a book to be sold for good money! Thank you so much, and bravo!
Old Oct 13, 2004, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

stut...I considered myself an "old hand" at London airport transport options...but even I learned many new things and tricks by reading your posts.

Many Thanks!
Old Oct 14, 2004, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Blimey! Good work stut - must be a contender for helpful thread of the year. ^
Old Oct 22, 2004, 8:36 am

Programs: UA, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum
Wow!

Thanks so much for posting this information, stut! This is going to be a great resource for me when I get into the details for my trip!

Last edited by valree; Oct 22, 2004 at 8:54 am
Old Oct 27, 2004, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Yes, many thanks for posting this amazingly comprehensive information.

Saved me some money when I was in London recently and my hotel's clueless concierge could recommend nothing other than the tube, cab+LHR Exp, or cab to get to the airport. Time and comfort were important but I didn't want to spend 45+ quid for a cab. Used this thread and within 2 minutes had called Airport Direct to book a car for only GBP23 (from WC2/Covent Garden area to LHR for 2 people) on short (1.5 hours) notice.

P.S. I would definitely use Airport Direct again in the future when the tube isn't an option.

P.P.S. GBP23 fare to LHR was only valid if paying cash. The phone operator did mention they tack on a hefty surcharge for credit card payments.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 12:01 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I just read the section on Luton and wanted to add my compliments and thanks! What a service you have done for us!
Old Nov 24, 2004, 11:30 pm

Programs: SPG HHonors
Stut, you are stud. I've never been to LON and am flying into LGW. Your explanations will be very helpful for my trip in January.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 8:30 am
Suspended

Great work!!!

Quite how that qualifies you to be a "stud" I do not know, but I will bow (not too far...) to our American friend on this one.....!

Just one thing to add - if you get a BAA Worldcard Visa and pay for your Heathrow/Gatwick (and maybe Stansted Express too, but not sure) you can buy a standard class tix and get a free upgrade every time to FIRST - well worth it on the crowded Friday evening and Monday morning services when seats can be thin on the ground.

http://www.baa.co.uk/doc/2902962a841...044_frame.html
Old Dec 2, 2004, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Globaliser tugs forelock and again pays homage to the great collection of information here, which has been used to plan his first outbound journey through LCY.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 1:17 pm

I also want to add my thanks for this info.

I just booked Valentine's Sale tickets on NW to LGW...

It took a while to find this forum, but once found it appears to be a wealth of info...

It looks like there really is no "cheap" alternative from LGW to London...but airfare was cheap, so I will just enjoy the ride on train.

thanks again for info.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 9:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Luton Green Line 757

Is the Green Line the same as National Express?

At any rate, I've taken this a couple times from the Victoria Coach Station to Luton Airport. If you purchase an Easy Jet ticket online, you will be provided a link to purchase a reduced fare ticket, £8.00 single and £9.00 return. You must make your return journey within three months of making your outward journey. A timetable is also available online.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 7:31 am

does anybody know the "terms" of the "One day travelcard"...web site just shows "available from 930.."...does that mean it is good from then until closing...and if that is the case does anybody know how late the trains run at night. (I assume this ticket is good for all day trips back and forth)

I am going to rent a car tomorrow at LGW to take a weekend trip to the west, but we think we will just put our bags in our rental car and leave it at the airport for the day, take the train into london and do one of the bus tours. That would let us see the london sights before leaving town.

thanks for any help.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 8:38 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Is the Green Line the same as National Express?

At any rate, I've taken this a couple times from the Victoria Coach Station to Luton Airport. If you purchase an Easy Jet ticket online, you will be provided a link to purchase a reduced fare ticket, £8.00 single and £9.00 return. You must make your return journey within three months of making your outward journey. A timetable is also available online.
Green Line is not National Express, but NX do include Green Line in their timetables (I think there are interoperable tickets). Luton section duly updated - many thanks!
Old Feb 10, 2005, 8:53 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by Live4Miles
does anybody know the "terms" of the "One day travelcard"...web site just shows "available from 930.."...does that mean it is good from then until closing...and if that is the case does anybody know how late the trains run at night. (I assume this ticket is good for all day trips back and forth)

I am going to rent a car tomorrow at LGW to take a weekend trip to the west, but we think we will just put our bags in our rental car and leave it at the airport for the day, take the train into london and do one of the bus tours. That would let us see the london sights before leaving town.

thanks for any help.
One day travelcards are valid for any journey that starts before 4.30am the following day. Most Tube lines shut between midnight and 1am, but night buses run all night, and there are some key overland rail routes that go all night too (e.g. Victoria - Clapham Junction - Croydon - Gatwick). Most National Rail routes tend to shut down between midnight and 1am around London. And yes, it's valid for unlimited rides, on all forms of transport except river bus (although you do get a discount on these). Note that the 9.30am restriction is only for Mon-Fri.

I'm not sure of the safety of leaving your bags in the rental car - I don't know if this would be covered by your insurance, either. Note that several airlines at Gatwick allow you to check in very early - even the night before - you may want to consider this rather than risking having your stuff stolen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.