The Definitive London Airports Transport Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive London Airports Transport Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2007, 1:11 pm

I found the Gatwick Express upgrade code: BAUPGR

But have not found the 50% discount code, does anyone know the current code?

Is the first class upgrade worthwhile?
Old Mar 13, 2007, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by wsflyer
Alan, I like your thinking. I also hate sitting in airports for more than a couple of hours. Unless the weather is very bad, your walk would be a fun break in a long trip.
A better version is to take the Tube from Victoria to Westminster, leave by the BRIDGE STREET exit, GAWP, then go to the Thames / London Eye, go up to Trafalgar Square via Charing Cross then down Whitehall past Horse Guards & Downing Street turn right & walk through St James's Park to Buck House then down to Victoria to collect luggage, etc.

Why I didn't recommend it like I normally do I don't know as it ensures that one of the first REAL views of London you get is truly iconic
Old Mar 14, 2007, 12:29 pm

Hex : Wp9770
Gex : Wp1260
Old Mar 14, 2007, 2:13 pm

What would suggest?

Particulars: Family of three (2 adults & one 14 yd old). On 06/29/07, need to leave from IC Park Lane to Gatwick for 6:40 PM BA flight to Venice.

Option 1: Use code BAUPGM for Gatwick Express - First Class. Cost is 37.25 Pounds plus tube/taxi from IC Park Lane to Victoria Station. (This option also provides FAST Track at Gatwick!)

Option 2: Use code Wp1260 for Gatwick Express - Express Class. Cost is 22.35 Pounds plus tube/taxi from IC Park Lane to Victoria Station.

Option 3: Use Exclusive Airports - Chauffer service. IC Park Lane to Gatwick. Cost is 52 pounds plus tip.

I am planning on using Exclusive Airports service on our arrival at Heathrow at 10:40 PM if my friend in London is unable to pick us up. I have found them (www.exclusiveairports.com) to be the least expensive. Anyone have any experience with them?

Your ideas and thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Last edited by yamonjon; Mar 14, 2007 at 2:25 pm Reason: add FAST Track
Old Mar 19, 2007, 3:19 pm

Are there ever discount codes for taking the National Express bus between Heathrow and Gatwick? I know I've never seen one, but thought I'd ask before purchasing.

Thanks.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 2:39 pm

Programs: US Gold, HH gold
Anyone have a new gex code?

Wp1260 is expired.

Thanks!
Old Mar 26, 2007, 4:26 pm

Programs: QF, GF, VA, AA
Questions about West Drayton

We are intending to travel to Bristol Parkway after arriving into LHR next Wednesday and are wondering if getting a local bus to West Drayton (using our Oysters) then looking for cheap day singles to Bristol Parkway would be an option for us rather than paying £13 each for the air/rail coach to Reading and then getting the train from there.
There doesn't seem to be much difference in the train fares to Bristol Parkway from West Drayton or Reading even though they are about 30 mins apart by stopping train.

Is the U3 bus towards Uxbridge usually full about 10AM? (We will have a suitcase each.)

Are there many steps to the booking office and platforms at West Drayton?

Last edited by SFSC; Mar 29, 2007 at 5:12 am Reason: rearrange words & bus number typo
Old Mar 26, 2007, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by SFSC
We are intending to travel to Bristol Parkway after arriving into LHR next Wednesday and are wondering if getting a local bus to West Drayton (using our Oysters) then looking for cheap day singles to Bristol Parkway would be an option for us rather than paying 13 each for the air/rail coach to Reading and then getting the train from there.
There doesn't seem to be much difference in the train fares to Bristol Parkway from West Drayton or Reading even though they are about 30 mins apart by stopping train.
I believe if you order the tickets in advance, you can get a bus+train ticket from Heathrow (which reduces the price of the coach service), or get the Heathrow Connect train service to Hayes and Harlington and then an onward train to Reading. You might also be able to get a cheap non-flexible fare, if you're willing to take that chance.

Might be worth checking First Great Western's website for journeys from Heathrow to Bristol and for the other combinations you mentioned.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA, DL
I received an email today from BAA that its program offering 50% coupon codes has been pulled.

Text is below:

Dear BAA WorldPoints member,

With immediate effect, we have been asked by the train operators to
withdraw the following WorldPoints rewards:
Half price tickets on Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted Express
First class upgrades on Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted Express
We very much regret this course of action which is necessary due to
fraudulent use of these promotions and we apologise for any
inconvenience this may cause. We will continue to work with the
train operators to endeavour to provide an alternative reward
solution and will advise members of any developments in future
editions of eEmporium.

Thank you for your understanding.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 3:39 pm

Programs: QF, GF, VA, AA
Originally Posted by typical
I believe if you order the tickets in advance, you can get a bus+train ticket from Heathrow (which reduces the price of the coach service), or get the Heathrow Connect train service to Hayes and Harlington and then an onward train to Reading. You might also be able to get a cheap non-flexible fare, if you're willing to take that chance.

Might be worth checking First Great Western's website for journeys from Heathrow to Bristol and for the other combinations you mentioned.
Thanks typical

Checked out the non-flexible fare prices and with those at least, Heathrow Connect via Hayes and Harlington comes in about 30% cheaper than coach+train. Not too hopeful of getting cheap day singles on the day.

Looked at the Google maps satellite photo of Hayes and Harlington - seems to be two island platforms. Good if we just have to cross the platform but not so good if we have to drag the luggage up and down stairs to the other platform which probably is the case transferring between train companies.

We'll wing it on the day. Will check out how many are getting on the local bus to West Drayton (1 each with our Oysters) and try to get cheap singles at the station (probably easier to get than at an airport). If the local bus is crowded we'll go via the T123 station and Hayes and Harlington.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 5:08 am

Travelling west at Hayes and Harlington will require crossing the lines, and there is no alternative to the using one of the two sets of stairs. To be near the stairs you need to be at the back or middle of the train, not the front.

The connection time with the stopping trains to Reading is generally reasonable (5-10 minutes wait) and usually this is the one with more limited stops off-peak (ie just Slough, Maidenhead, & Twyford). However, note that these trains will be quite full already with people at anything like rush hour, and there is rarely any special luggage space apart from the overhead racks. I used this route a couple of days ago, and 90% or so of the seats were occupied on the 20:14.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 7:27 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Connecting at Ealing Broadway

How easy and how quick is the transfer from the Central Line to Heathrow Connect at Ealing Broadway: I'm trying to figure out if I can make the last train out. And is there any reason a woman traveling alone shouldn't take this route on a Saturday night?

Thanks.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 7:35 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
It's pretty easy, but does need a platform change (via an overbridge). I can't remember whether there are lifts to the Heathrow Connect platform or not.

Can't see any reason to avoid it. Both station and train are fully manned and have CCTV. The station is permanently busy.

Only problem is what to do if you miss the last train. You could return (on a mainline train) to Paddington and catch the express, or continue to Hayes & Harlington and catch a taxi or a bus. The latter wouldn't be great alone on a Saturday night, though.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 7:28 am

Programs: BA GfL
Pall Mall to LHR or LCY: which would be more convenient/fast?

I have a feeling this answer is going to be "six of one, half a dozen of the other" anyway, but here goes:

I will be flying into LHR T4 next month on a BA transatlantic red-eye. I have two meetings in London during the day, in the Pall Mall area. Then I'm flying onward to DUB in the afternoon, which I can do via LHR (BD) or LCY(AF). I'll have a small rolling bag only (hand baggage), which I guess I will have to haul around with me during the day since I am not connecting onto a BA flight--and even if I go back to LHR, I'll be going back to a different terminal, so parking the bag in the T4 Arrivals storage facility isn't convenient.

Any suggestions on which airport to fly out of? Which airport would be easier and/or faster to get to from Pall Mall, with luggage? It seems like I'd have to take a cab (+ underground) + DLR for LCY, or a cab + HEX for LHR, which probably works out to about the same amount of time. But maybe there are other considerations that I am missing?
Old Apr 8, 2007, 8:45 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Originally Posted by travelmad478
Any suggestions on which airport to fly out of? Which airport would be easier and/or faster to get to from Pall Mall, with luggage? It seems like I'd have to take a cab (+ underground) + DLR for LCY, or a cab + HEX for LHR, which probably works out to about the same amount of time. But maybe there are other considerations that I am missing?
Easiest way would be to just jump on the tube from Piccadilly Circus all the way to LHR in 45 mins. If it's early afternoon then it shouldn't be crowded on the tube. Or take the Bakerloo line to Paddington (12 mins) then HEX (obviously if that's what you prefer). A cab from Pall Mall to Paddington isn't really necessary and will take longer than the tube.

For LCY you will need to change at least twice on the tube and the journey time will not be any quicker. In this case my preference would be LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.