FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Print Wikipost

Local lockdowns in the UK

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2021, 12:56 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by DaveS
The Telegraph has an article on the situation in South Africa. The two things suggested in the article are that the omicron outbreak in SA may already be 'running out of steam' and that the case fatality rate is 6 times lower (3% vs 0.5%) compared with delta.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-ne...running-steam/

Paywalled of course.

Well obviously at some point it runs out of ppl to infect! Unless it’s a SAGE projection of course, numbers can only go to infinity with them
Old Dec 13, 2021, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
The Telegraph has an article on the situation in South Africa. The two things suggested in the article are that the omicron outbreak in SA may already be 'running out of steam' and that the case fatality rate is 6 times lower (3% vs 0.5%) compared with delta.

Paywalled of course.
Disable JS for the telegraph.co.uk domain. It's not a real paywall.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Paywalled of course.
And you do realise you are now going to be branded as a heretic even though you are the messenger? Be strong....
Old Dec 13, 2021, 2:46 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
What a load of rubbish. There can't possibly be 200,000 omicron infections per day. It would be the most incredible testing phenomenon in history since there were only about 1,500 cases reported today so we "missed" 198,500 cases and we are picking up only 1 in 133 cases by testing despite still having a positivity rate of 4.39% and it has been consistently in the 3-5% range for months now.

Even if you assume 200,000 is correct, using the stupid model released by UKHSA last week which showed cases doubling every 2-3 days would mean by Christmas day the daily infection rate would be 12 million - it simply isn't physically possible that many people can be infected in one day unless the whole population of the UK squeezes on the Isle of Wight and we spend the whole day coughing on each other. The whole model we are basing these current restrictions on is just complete garbage.

I am sorry but this is utter madness is not even worthy of someone doing gcse maths.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politi...cting-25689142

The Omicron variant is already infecting an estimated 200,000 people a DAY in the UK, as of today, according to modelling for the government. The staggering estimate is far, far higher than official case numbers. Officials insist the enormous gap is due to the speed at which the strain spreads and the delay in cases being picked up in official tests. Some 1,576 newly-confirmed cases of the variant were identified today, taking the total since Omicron entered the UK to 4,713. Yet Health Secretary Sajid Javid told MPs: “The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) estimates that the... current number of daily infections are around 200,000.”

It was not immediately clear if he was referring to 200,000 Covid infections of all kinds, or 200,000 Omicron infections specifically, or another statistic of some kind. 54,661 new positive test results were reported today, even once all types of variants are included. Yet multiple sources later assured the Mirror that the UKHSA data was referring to the number of people estimated to be newly infected with Omicron today.

Last edited by KARFA; Dec 13, 2021 at 4:36 pm
Old Dec 13, 2021, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First it was Diane Abbott, then Prof. Neil Ferguson, now it's Javid. There's only so much bad maths we can stomach.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 11:07 pm

I’ve been doing some work in Italy and in France in the last few days and to be honest there isn’t much emphasis here on Omicron, at least in the public discourse I hear or read about. So in my tinfoil hat moment, considering how Johnson behaved in the past (“let the bodies pile high”, remember that), I wonder if we’d be having such a focus on this variant had BoJo not landed himself in hot water with the Xmas parties, the wallpaper and so on.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 12:44 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
What a load of rubbish. There can't possibly be 200,000 omicron infections per day. It would be the most incredible testing phenomenon in history since there were only about 1,500 cases reported today so we "missed" 198,500 cases and we are picking up only 1 in 133 cases by testing despite still having a positivity rate of 4.39% and it has been consistently in the 3-5% range for months now.

Even if you assume 200,000 is correct, using the stupid model released by UKHSA last week which showed cases doubling every 2-3 days would mean by Christmas day the daily infection rate would be 12 million - it simply isn't physically possible that many people can be infected in one day unless the whole population of the UK squeezes on the Isle of Wight and we spend the whole day coughing on each other. The whole model we are basing these current restrictions on is just complete garbage.

I am sorry but this is utter madness is not even worthy of someone doing gcse maths.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politi...cting-25689142
Definitely a weird statement and hard to assess its veracity.
Data from Denmark are interesting: 27 people in hospitals but most were positive 48h after admissions (so admitted for a different motif) and half are already out.
There are three big "if" there but we might be very very lucky: if the exponential rise is really this quick and if the IFR and admission rate is really this low and if Omicron displaces Delta for good, then Omicron will effectively act as a vaccine jab, greatly increasing immunization rate every where, including in countries with poor access (not due to their fault) to vaccines or with countries with high anti-vax proportion (Bulgaria, Ukraine, etc ...). But even that it means some control on infections because even if the admission rate is very very low (still not fully proven), a full tsunami on a country will poor vaccination rate and a poor healthcare infrastructure will be a disaster. However it can actually help the situation by immunizing. That assumes that there are no long term sequel we do not know about (and there are some for the original strain of SARS-COV-2 so ...).
Old Dec 14, 2021, 1:49 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Today's foot in mouth winner Dominic Raab:

Justice Secretary Dominic Raab also tells BBC Breakfast there are now nine people in hospital in the UK with the Omicron variant.

The figure is a lower one than Raab gave earlier this morning on Sky News, when he said there were 250 people in hospital with Omicron.
Raab says the government is tracking the cases very carefully.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-59646151

Full credit to the NHS for curing 241 cases in the time it took me to eat my croissant.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
With our omnishambles Government obsessed with Omnicron variants, and also the birth of the omnipotent Lord (ie Christmas), I think we can safely assume that, whatever data emerges in the next two weeks, we can safely assume that significantly harsher measures will be introduced to stop New Year's Eve partying. If we get good news on the disease it will be put down to abundance of caution and rapid growth in cases, but it will come anyway.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 4:11 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
With our omnishambles Government obsessed with Omnicron variants, and also the birth of the omnipotent Lord (ie Christmas), I think we can safely assume that, whatever data emerges in the next two weeks, we can safely assume that significantly harsher measures will be introduced to stop New Year's Eve partying. If we get good news on the disease it will be put down to abundance of caution and rapid growth in cases, but it will come anyway.
It just doesn't matter what comes out now. Day by day we get more evidence that omicron is much more milder and less deadly than any previous variant - the South Africans have been saying this for weeks until they are blue in the face but no one is listening. Or they will make absurd claims to justify it - such as the South Africans are somehow incredibly healthy and resistant so their experience won't translate here. And it is not spreading at anything like the "doubling every 2/3 days" rate the models suggested either here or in South Africa. Yet we continue our unstoppable rush towards more restrictions.

Yesterday's announcement by the government that one person has died with omicron (they don't want to clarify was it with omicron or because of omicron) and therefore you need to set aside it is a milder variant is as scientifically illiterate as saying smoking doesn't cause cancer because my gran smoked all her life and she is 93 now and still well.

As you say, if it pans out to be much less of a problem than the models used suggested of course it must be due to the prompt action by the government and quick implementation of restrictions - and no one will actually ask it is possible the models were actually wrong and all this damage was just completely unnecessary.

I noted before, but I think we are now destined to repeat this madness each time a new dodgy variant appears every six months or so.

Last edited by KARFA; Dec 14, 2021 at 4:47 am
Old Dec 14, 2021, 5:24 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
The telegraph is reporting what is claimed to be the first real world data on omicron compared with earlier variants:

Omicron is likely to be 23 per cent less severe than delta with vaccines still offering good protection, the first major real-world study into the new variant has shown.

A study of more than 78,000 omicron cases in South Africa recorded between Nov 15 and Dec 7 also found that the Pfizer jab still offers 70 per cent protection against hospitalisation after two doses.

The research showed that, compared with the first Wuhan strain, the virus led to 29 per cent fewer admissions to hospital, with 23 per cent fewer hospital admissions compared with delta.

Far fewer people also needed intensive care from omicron, with just five per cent of cases admitted to ICU compared with 22 per cent of delta patients.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...ine-jabs-give/

This story is not paywalled.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 7:10 am

Programs: BA Silver, for now at least...
Originally Posted by KARFA
I noted before, but I think we are now destined to repeat this madness each time a new dodgy variant appears every six months or so.
I actually genuinely think this is the 'beginning of the end' of the Covid saga. This variant is clearly highly infectious, but also much milder - so it will clearly become dominant worldwide very quickly, buliding up social immunity with (hopefully minimal) loss of life. BoJo and the mainstream press will eventually have to acknowledge this, and the current testing and restrictions will have to be put to bed as pointless. From my little scientific knowledge it would then be highly unusual for any future variant to be just as infectious whilst presenting worse symptoms??

I am putting the over/under on this as end March 2022 (though we will actually be at that stage here in around 6 weeks or less...
Old Dec 14, 2021, 7:38 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by fransknorge
I am assuming he misunderstood that linear extrapolation from UKHSA and pretended it was a model, so basically a completely made up numbers with no basis in reality. But I can not understand why he would say such a thing just like that.
He’s a Tory politician. That might explain it
Old Dec 14, 2021, 7:45 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by Professor Yaffle
I actually genuinely think this is the 'beginning of the end' of the Covid saga. This variant is clearly highly infectious, but also much milder - so it will clearly become dominant worldwide very quickly, buliding up social immunity with (hopefully minimal) loss of life. BoJo and the mainstream press will eventually have to acknowledge this, and the current testing and restrictions will have to be put to bed as pointless. From my little scientific knowledge it would then be highly unusual for any future variant to be just as infectious whilst presenting worse symptoms??

I am putting the over/under on this as end March 2022 (though we will actually be at that stage here in around 6 weeks or less...
No it is not, there are plenty of examples of variants being significantly deadlier/with worse symptoms and be as or more infectious: several flu strain including the famed Spanish Flu, West Nile, Ebola. The entire idea that as a virus mutates it became milder and less deadly is a sort of urban legend with no root in evolution, epidemiology or biology. There are no proof, no actual real example except one and the past evolution of other COV is uncertain.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...lve-180975343/
Old Dec 14, 2021, 7:49 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
The telegraph is reporting what is claimed to be the first real world data on omicron compared with earlier variants:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...ine-jabs-give/

This story is not paywalled.
Which leaves us with the interesting question of how many people will be catching it and ending up in hospital in the coming weeks, bearing in mind "other wards" can also be overwhelmed.

At the moment, it looks like a triply jabbed individual has somewhat more to fear from a call from test and trace than from the disease itself...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.