FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Print Wikipost

Local lockdowns in the UK

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2021, 11:48 am

Programs: M&S Elite+, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Misco60
The government's own figures show that the 7-day average of hospitalisations is up by 23% on the previous 7-day period.
Much like deaths, the figures for hospitalisation are very low by any measure. So a few cases can cause big changes in the percentages. Having 870 out of 170,000 (or whatever it is) beds taken with COVID patients should not be too taxing on the NHS.
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old May 31, 2021, 12:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by DaveS
I guess there is a lesson for those that organised Twickenham. Look at the calendar and look at the weather forecast. However important this is, it was not going to go well on the first public holiday in yonks with decent weather and the pubs open.
Given they tweeted a follow up saying how popular it was, and saying don't turn up after 19:30 it sounds like it has gone very well!
Old May 31, 2021, 12:55 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by S_W_S
Given they tweeted a follow up saying how popular it was, and saying don't turn up after 19:30 it sounds like it has gone very well!
https://twitter.com/LBofHounslow/sta...03654537416709
I will be very happy if my cynicism is unfounded. I should also add that I have always been sceptical about vaccine hesitancy. It has been raised as an issue in every age group and has been very far from reality. 7.30PM was always going to be the closing time, however DM are reporting that Twickenham ran out by 7PM and turned people away!
Dan1113, HB7 and KARFA like this.
Old May 31, 2021, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

They need these in every part of the country. Supply needs to increase. Cmon Pfizer!
Old May 31, 2021, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
But do the young people trust the government? Thats the issue I think. Im losing faith that lockdown will be lifted June 21. Or even travel, being vaccinated doesnt exempt you from wearing a mask, quarantining etc etc.
If the lockdown isn't fully lifted on 21-jun and it ends up being 21-Sep, so be it.
Old May 31, 2021, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
If the lockdown isn't fully lifted on 21-jun and it ends up being 21-Sep, so be it.
Exactly 1 Covid death reported today.

The issue is that 21 Sept really means 21 March 2022. When we get to 21 Sept it'll be a case of "now we need to keep restrictions until the booster programme is complete", and when we get to 21 Dec it'll be "we still need restrictions because it's winter, look what happened last year". So really the choice is between another 3 weeks of restrictions, or another 9 months.
Old May 31, 2021, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

I doubt anyone is pushing for 3 extra months. But in Scotland it is unlikely most of the urban area at level 2 is going to go down to level 1 next week. A few weeks' delay in England is no bad idea.
Old May 31, 2021, 3:16 pm
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There's an interesting side bar to this one. Though no research has been done on this yet, as far as I know, nevertheless I would be reasonably certain that bad dental health is a contributory factor to poor Covid outcomes. We know that bad dental health, specifically gum disease, has a surprisingly negative impact on the immune system. Research is unclear whether this is cause, effect or a background indicator (i.e. poverty again), my hunch is it is a bit of all three. So on the Swiss Cheese Model, good dental health is probably a barrier, along with vaccines, masks, social distancing. Perhaps a rather flimsy one compared to the heavy duty barrier of vaccines, but we will take all the barriers we can get.

Dental treatment should now be fairly safe, I imagine all those in your dental practice are well past their second dose now. No infections have been traced to dental work.

There is also the general point that vaccines are supposed to help you live your life the way you want to live your life, rather than inhibit it further.

So I would stick to your current dental check-up, particularly if you suspect some treatment is needed. And stick to 8 weeks at least for dose2. It's really only those 50+ or with health conditions who should get going before 10 weeks.
Thanks CWS, much appreciated. Now I need to get that dentist appointment sorted.
Old May 31, 2021, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by DaveS
Much like deaths, the figures for hospitalisation are very low by any measure. So a few cases can cause big changes in the percentages. Having 870 out of 170,000 (or whatever it is) beds taken with COVID patients should not be too taxing on the NHS.
While I agree with you that Covid itself is currently a relatively small cause of bed utilisation, it is worth remembering that this isnt the only pressure the pandemic has put on the health service.

1) Covid segregation and cleaning requirements really eat into capacity - way beyond the raw number of beds. It isnt simply oh, we can fit another 3 Covid positive patients because weve got 8 beds - if those beds are in a non-Covid ward, you have a problem. You can convert the ward to a Covid ward, but then you lose capacity for non-Covid stuff which is a problem because

2) The NHS still has an enormous backlog of work which it is trying to get through, and bed utilisation is something around 96-97% - that doesnt leave a lot of room for a Covid surge. This is an indirect effect of Covid. In addition

3) Many of the most urgent cases in that backlog need longer recovery than usual, which again means more pressure on resources than would otherwise be the case. Another indirect effect of Covid.

These aspects and more besides are discussed the following Twitter thread posted by the CEO of NHS Providers. It is an insightful look at some of the challenges that NHS Trusts are facing, despite Covid cases being relatively low at the moment - it is well worth reading in full.

wilsnunn likes this.
Old May 31, 2021, 4:00 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by squawk
While I agree with you that Covid itself is currently a relatively small cause of bed utilisation, it is worth remembering that this isn’t the only pressure the pandemic has put on the health service.

1) Covid segregation and cleaning requirements really eat into capacity - way beyond the raw number of beds. It isn’t simply “oh, we can fit another 3 Covid positive patients because we’ve got 8 beds” - if those beds are in a non-Covid ward, you have a problem. You can convert the ward to a Covid ward, but then you lose capacity for non-Covid stuff which is a problem because…

2) …The NHS still has an enormous backlog of work which it is trying to get through, and bed utilisation is something around 96-97% - that doesn’t leave a lot of room for a Covid surge. This is an ‘indirect’ effect of Covid. In addition…

3)… Many of the most urgent cases in that backlog need longer recovery than usual, which again means more pressure on resources than would otherwise be the case. Another ‘indirect’ effect of Covid.

These aspects and more besides are discussed the following Twitter thread posted by the CEO of NHS Providers. It is an insightful look at some of the challenges that NHS Trusts are facing, despite Covid cases being relatively low at the moment - it is well worth reading in full.

https://mobile.twitter.com/chrisceoh...71050931290112
The point we need to make is no more lockdowns. Recommendations not legal restrictions, that is why June 21 is so important. The time when we can end legal restrictions and have recommendations as to what to do in certain situations. We have legislated way too much here. Otherwise we will have a lockdown every-time the NHS is under pressure in the winter.

I mean joking aside except for nightclubs and foreign travel my life is normal now.
LETTERBOY and cauchy like this.
Old May 31, 2021, 4:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by HB7
Thanks CWS, much appreciated. Now I need to get that dentist appointment sorted.
Good luck getting a dentist sorted, Mrs WIlsnunn has been trying for two months to get an NHS dentist to see her and thus far it has been nothing but rejections.
HB7 likes this.
Old May 31, 2021, 4:07 pm
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by wilsnunn
Good luck getting a dentist sorted, Mrs WIlsnunn has been trying for two months to get an NHS dentist to see her and thus far it has been nothing but rejections.
It's a regular check up which is a couple of months late. I better get on it!
Old May 31, 2021, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by cauchy
Exactly 1 Covid death reported today.
Am I reading this correct? There are 55M people in England and one death was reported today? Why is England closed??
LETTERBOY and cauchy like this.
Old May 31, 2021, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
Am I reading this correct? There are 55M people in England and one death was reported today? Why is England closed??
It's a UK-wide figure. Indeed, 0 deaths reported in England today. The 1 reported death in the UK was recorded in Scotland.
Old May 31, 2021, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by cauchy
It's a UK-wide figure. Indeed, 0 deaths reported in England today. The 1 reported death in the UK was recorded in Scotland.
Wow, thanks for the data! While I was being overly dramatic with my post in jest as I know why they aren't open but after seeing a statistic like that it makes me wonder how many people in England died today from 1. Walking across the street and being hit by a lorry? 2. Getting eaten by an alligator that came out of the Thames?
LETTERBOY, cauchy and Loungeabout like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.