FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Print Wikipost

Local lockdowns in the UK

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2021, 10:50 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by DaveS
I guess there is a lesson for those that organised Twickenham. Look at the calendar and look at the weather forecast. However important this is, it was not going to go well on the first public holiday in yonks with decent weather and the pubs open.
its not only that, younger people are generally less in a rush to get vaccinated, if you are older/vulnerable getting vaccinated is a matter of life and death, if you are 30 with no health issues then it isnt exactly the number one priority on the agenda even if the individual wants to get vaccinated. Hence I think NHS should just now open it to everyone over 18 and see who shows up
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 31, 2021, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Lots of public health experts now very concerned at just the high level they're seeing of transmissibility and the growth in hospital numbers now, saying things could get very bad. The transmission rates if this variant seem to be at the upper end of what everyone thought.
Old May 31, 2021, 10:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
its not only that, younger people are generally less in a rush to get vaccinated, if you are older/vulnerable getting vaccinated is a matter of life and death, if you are 30 with no health issues then it isnt exactly the number one priority on the agenda even if the individual wants to get vaccinated. Hence I think NHS should just now open it to everyone over 18 and see who shows up
On this one, and at this point of where we are now, I fully agree with you. It's still quite hard to get a vaccine, too hard for those who probably don't take it so seriously.
squawk and ahmetdouas like this.
Old May 31, 2021, 11:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by HB7
FYI - the complexity of my question arises from me needing to see the dentist. I need to go for a check up, but I'm wondering if I should delay a few weeks till after my second shot or it's ok to go next week (4 weeks after my first dose).
There's an interesting side bar to this one. Though no research has been done on this yet, as far as I know, nevertheless I would be reasonably certain that bad dental health is a contributory factor to poor Covid outcomes. We know that bad dental health, specifically gum disease, has a surprisingly negative impact on the immune system. Research is unclear whether this is cause, effect or a background indicator (i.e. poverty again), my hunch is it is a bit of all three. So on the Swiss Cheese Model, good dental health is probably a barrier, along with vaccines, masks, social distancing. Perhaps a rather flimsy one compared to the heavy duty barrier of vaccines, but we will take all the barriers we can get.

Dental treatment should now be fairly safe, I imagine all those in your dental practice are well past their second dose now. No infections have been traced to dental work.

There is also the general point that vaccines are supposed to help you live your life the way you want to live your life, rather than inhibit it further.

So I would stick to your current dental check-up, particularly if you suspect some treatment is needed. And stick to 8 weeks at least for dose2. It's really only those 50+ or with health conditions who should get going before 10 weeks.
adrianlondon, HB7, squawk and 1 others like this.
Old May 31, 2021, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Dan1113
Lots of public health experts now very concerned at just the high level they're seeing of transmissibility and the growth in hospital numbers now, saying things could get very bad. The transmission rates if this variant seem to be at the upper end of what everyone thought.
Are we looking at different statistics? Or is this a matter of public health experts always being concerned about everything. I dont see any growth in hospitalisations, actually they are going down slightly!

Last edited by ahmetdouas; May 31, 2021 at 11:24 am
Old May 31, 2021, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by adrianlondon
Hmm - when I asked the same question (my Pfizer second dose was scheduled 4 weeks after my first) I was told here to get it and not delay the appointment. Presumably the logic is to just turn up when you're told and not change things, as it could lead to confusion and supply issues. So I assume it's not overly important.
I wish theyd make it more clear because if it was really 4 weeks Id probably not even wait for J and J. How did you manage to get it to 4 weeks? Or was there a glitch in the system.
Old May 31, 2021, 11:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
its not only that, younger people are generally less in a rush to get vaccinated, if you are older/vulnerable getting vaccinated is a matter of life and death, if you are 30 with no health issues then it isnt exactly the number one priority on the agenda...
But it should be, and if young people can't be persuaded to do it for the public good then perhaps we should be trying to persuade them that getting vaccinated helps bring down the infection figures, thereby shortening our lockdown and making it more likely that foreign countries will admit British tourists.
Old May 31, 2021, 11:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Are we looking at different statistics? Or is this a matter of public health experts always being concerned about everything. I dont see any growth in hospitalisations, actually they are going down slightly!
The government's own figures show that the 7-day average of hospitalisations is up by 23% on the previous 7-day period.
Old May 31, 2021, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Misco60
But it should be, and if young people can't be persuaded to do it for the public good then perhaps we should be trying to persuade them that getting vaccinated helps bring down the infection figures, thereby shortening our lockdown and making it more likely that foreign countries will admit British tourists.
But do the young people trust the government? Thats the issue I think. Im losing faith that lockdown will be lifted June 21. Or even travel, being vaccinated doesnt exempt you from wearing a mask, quarantining etc etc.
LETTERBOY and LGWClosedAgain like this.
Old May 31, 2021, 11:34 am

Programs: BA Silver
I wish they’d make it more clear because if it was really 4 weeks I’d probably not even wait for J and J. How did you manage to get it to 4 weeks? Or was there a glitch in the system.
I live in Switzerland. They were told, apparently, that Pfizer should be done 3 weeks apart and Moderna 5 weeks apart. As they couldn't design an IT system to cope with this, they decided to make it 4 weeks apart for everyone (those are the only two vaccines available here).
Old May 31, 2021, 11:35 am
Original Poster

In Scotland anyway we've had a big jump, and that doesn't even include the weekend numbers yet

In other news,
The media reports by broadcaster TV2 and newspaper Ekstra Bladet also said Denmarks vaccination programme would be concluded in September, two weeks after the current timeline. The delay is due to delivery of fewer Moderna vaccines than expected, they reported.
Do we know if this will impact on our deliveries too? I'm surprised since the US is exporting doses now given they have too much supply.
Old May 31, 2021, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Misco60
The government's own figures show that the 7-day average of hospitalisations is up by 23% on the previous 7-day period.
if they arent staying in hospital (check ppl in hospital not going to hospital) then I cant see an issue. Remember they test ppl coming to hospital even if they come in for another reason, so lets say I break my leg playing football and I go to hospital and I by chance have Covid with no symptoms and test positive then I count as a Covid hospital admission! Or am I wrong here.
Old May 31, 2021, 11:39 am

I live in Switzerland. They were told, apparently, that Pfizer should be done 3 weeks apart and Moderna 5 weeks apart. As they couldn't design an IT system to cope with this, they decided to make it 4 weeks apart for everyone (those are the only two vaccines available here).
ok got it you raised my hope there for a second. Yeah if I do the two dose in GR its also 4 weeks, or I could do the J and J in GR or US and get it done with immediately
adrianlondon likes this.
Old May 31, 2021, 11:41 am

Programs: BA Silver
ok got it you raised my hope there for a second. Yeah if I do the two dose in GR its also 4 weeks, or I could do the J and J in GR or US and get it done with immediately
There's lots of discussion but there don't seem to be many places, who currently admit Brits, giving special treatment to those fully vaccinated. Even in the UK itself I've just read that the "Vaccine Passport" idea might not happen. So there appears to be no great rush.
Old May 31, 2021, 11:43 am

There's lots of discussion but there don't seem to be many places, who currently admit Brits, giving special treatment to those fully vaccinated. Even in the UK itself I've just read that the "Vaccine Passport" idea might not happen. So there appears to be no great rush.
yeah a vaccine passport is an issue for many reasons (ethics, discrimination, etc.) so why go through all that hassle if almost no one is at harm (look at the death rates) from the virus in the UK. I still see it being an issue for travel though, but not domestically its more trouble than its worth.

spain lets all UK ppl in without any bureaucracy except a passport, Greece either a PCR or a vaccine passport minimum 2 weeks old as an example, so each country seems to be going its own way on this
LETTERBOY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.