Old Oct 15, 2020, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Print Wikipost

Local lockdowns in the UK

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2021, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Wow Ireland stopped AZ use. I guess they can jump the border to get vaccinated in Northern Ireland ?
You should probably do less guessing.
stewardo, DYKWIA, VSLover and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 7:24 am

excess of caution? Well the UK is doing much better on the COVID front than pretty much all of the EU and this is mainly due to vaccines so slowing vaccines down due to bureaucracy/childish games is not the way forward.

the uk position on blood clots is clear that they don’t see any significant increases on the general population, remember blood clots is an issue for older less healthy people vaccine or not and I am comfortable with them saying this is just a statistical coincidence
Do you really believe that doctors in Norway - not a EU member - and Iceland - not a EU member - would voice concern out of "bureaucracy/childish games"? Really?

I'm not saying they are right, I'm not saying they are wrong. I'm saying that it's medical experts who are making these decisions and these aren't working as EU commissioners or whatever. To say that they're somehow part of a biiiig conspiracy because they're jealous of the UK is preposterous. We're talking about doctors with PhDs, not pre-schoolers in the sandpit.

Call it excess of caution, call it extreme conservativism, call it fear of being wrong... but to call it a spitiful reaction to the UK's successes (which ones? the highest death toll in Europe? the £37bn waste of track & trace? etc) is just an insult to people's intelligence.
IAN-UK, pilot007, NWIFlyer and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 7:28 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by 13901
Do you really believe that doctors in Norway - not a EU member - and Iceland - not a EU member - would voice concern out of "bureaucracy/childish games"? Really?

I'm not saying they are right, I'm not saying they are wrong. I'm saying that it's medical experts who are making these decisions and these aren't working as EU commissioners or whatever. To say that they're somehow part of a biiiig conspiracy because they're jealous of the UK is preposterous. We're talking about doctors with PhDs, not pre-schoolers in the sandpit.

Call it excess of caution, call it extreme conservativism, call it fear of being wrong... but to call it a spitiful reaction to the UK's successes (which ones? the highest death toll in Europe? the £37bn waste of track & trace? etc) is just an insult to people's intelligence.
well the uk medical experts say it’s safe so which medical experts should we believe?

We have two groups of experts having opposing views? One of them is wrong, and given the EU’s track record on vaccines you know which side I am on!
Silver Fox and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
They are increasingly having that approach. They have introduced powers to stop exports and using them - you would have a different point of view I am sure if you were in Australia and wondering why Italy had stopped your vaccine shipment. As I noted, we should be grateful they have not invoked that against exports to the UK yet.

The problem is that it does further increase an already sceptical population in EU countries for the AZ vaccine due to demonstrably false information pushed by press and more worryingly political leaders over the last few months. In isolation this latest action wouldn't normally be an issue. Whilst I am sure those bodies have taken their decision independent of politicians, there is a cumulative effect which they are adding to.
I don’t think medical bodies should base their decisions on what the media view is. Given the pockets of vaccine skepticism that exist, caution is certainly more preferable in the long-term. I guess it comes down to whether you think this a marathon or a sprint.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 7:33 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by paulaf
This made my blood boil, there was a comment/question in DM today
I would thoroughly recommend not reading the Daily Mail, or at least less and not the comments, then your blood probably won’t boil over.
ExpatExp, paulaf, squawk and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 7:34 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
I would thoroughly recommend not reading the Daily Mail, or at least less and not the comments, then your blood probably won’t boil over.
what I love about the daily mail is they never pretend to be serious so I enjoy a laugh with them.

what I don’t like about telegraph and times is they act all superior and serious but they are no better than daily mail so I prefer people who show their true colours and not act all fake

And the comment section is the best barometer of political opinion in the country, the good the bad and the ugly !
Silver Fox, LETTERBOY and paulaf like this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 7:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
I don’t think medical bodies should base their decisions on what the media view is.
I agree.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 7:59 am

well the uk medical experts say it’s safe so which medical experts should we believe?

We have two groups of experts having opposing views? One of them is wrong, and given the EU’s track record on vaccines you know which side I am on!
I'm not in the business of public health and the last time I've been in a chemistry lab was in high school; so it's not for me to say who's right and who's wrong. I think that, in this forum, C-W-S is the most skilled in this field and his opinion is upthread.

Should my GP call me tomorrow and ask me to get an AZ jab I'll go without hesitation. I might ask a couple of questions just out of curiosity, but that's it.

At the same time, I believe that if there are concerns, or risks, then it's good to investigate them. It might very well come to nothing, it might be just a distraction, but when there's new technology that has the potential of affecting human lives... I say better safe than sorry. I just find your idea that this is an 'EU plot' completely absurd because, for the third time, the countries where these concerns started first aren't EU countries. Then there's the fact that the EU hasn't acted as one, but rather there have been individual states and, right here right now, there's a spectrum of positions from suspension to withdrawal of certain batches to business as usual.
squawk and DaveS like this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 8:14 am

Wow Ireland stopped AZ use. I guess they can jump the border to get vaccinated in Northern Ireland ?
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
You should probably do less guessing.
I doubt the Northern Ireland Planned Healthcare Scheme (the replacement of the EU Cross-Border Healthcare Directive) can be used to get a vaccine? Though post-COVID expect this scheme to be heavily used to deal with backlogs in hospital treatments.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 8:24 am

For those with anti-EU feelings: the best thing you could do to really show those Europeans that Britain is best, is to take the vaccine and follow the rules (i.e. keep contacts as low as possible) and show the world that vaccination represents the easiest path back to normality.
ExpatExp, wrp96 and fransknorge like this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 9:09 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold

You might want to actually read and do a proper effort understanding what is the issue and what the various body are saying, as well as the basic of scientific method.
The Norwegian health authority recorded 4 cases of blood clot from people recently vaccinated. Applying the principle of precaution, they are temporarily stopping the vaccination the time to investigate if there is a link. That is the entire thing they are saying. They are not saying that this is unsafe, they are not opposing the UK medical experts (who are saying there is not any reason to investigate in the UK as the amount of blood clot recorded by the Yellow Card scheme is not out of normal). They are saying the same thing really.
NickB, IAN-UK, Internaut and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 9:30 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
If it’s boiling blood you want to avoid, I recommend not reading the Spectator and especially not the comments. Even in COVID and lockdown related articles expressing points of view I agree with, the comments are all “Bwaahaa the big man made me wear a FACE NAPPY!!!”
Old Mar 14, 2021, 11:38 am

Good news on data today, 52 deaths 37% drop on a week ago, we may see the average weekly deaths finally dip under 100 by the end of next week. Cases also down at 4618 compared to 5534 yesterday despite 1.6m tests conducted again.

Re my earlier post about anti vaxxers, it wasn't a comment in the DM by MOP it was written as a question and answer session on the Health page.
LETTERBOY and DaveS like this.

Last edited by paulaf; Mar 14, 2021 at 11:47 am
Old Mar 14, 2021, 11:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by paulaf
Good news on data today, 52 deaths 37% drop on a week ago, we may see the average weekly deaths finally dip under 100 by the end of next week. Cases also down at 4618 compared to 5534 yesterday despite 1.6m tests conducted again.
There's a little wrinkle on that one. LFD numbers specifically and test numbers generally reported today actually relate to Friday, so when the school testing was being done. But the test results, so confirmed infection numbers, can come in faster than that, particularly with LFD, so we see Saturday figures in the confirmed cases (plus some Friday and Sunday), hence a drop with the schools not sitting. So tomorrow we should see lower test numbers (not so many LFDs from Saturday), but potentially some positive cases detected on Monday and reported on Monday.

I've been trying to work out how this will play out. A kid who has a positive result is sent home for 10 days, so won't provide a new LFD result and hopefully won't infect their classmates. So if the non school rates are falling - which I think they are - that will result in fewer LFD positives too, over time. In other words we are hopefully on a step in the numbers, before the declines should start again. There are around 700 false positives in the figures, which won't go away at this level of testing.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There's a little wrinkle on that one. LFD numbers specifically and test numbers generally reported today actually relate to Friday, so when the school testing was being done. But the test results, so confirmed infection numbers, can come in faster than that, particularly with LFD, so we see Saturday figures in the confirmed cases (plus some Friday and Sunday), hence a drop with the schools not sitting. So tomorrow we should see lower test numbers (not so many LFDs from Saturday), but potentially some positive cases detected on Monday and reported on Monday.

I've been trying to work out how this will play out. A kid who has a positive result is sent home for 10 days, so won't provide a new LFD result and hopefully won't infect their classmates. So if the non school rates are falling - which I think they are - that will result in few LFD positives too, over time. In other words we are hopefully on a step in the numbers, before the declines should start again. There are around 700 false positives in the figures, which won't go away at this level of testing.
Thanks for the explanation. Do you have any feel at all yet on the numbers of kids/teachers testing positive compared to what was expected?
PS just booked 2nd jab same date and place as hubby 10 minutes apart so to others check website sooner rather than later, I was told it might take a couple of days to let me book it but that is about 24 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.