Reload this Page >

ePassport Gates Master Thread [was: Opening up the e-Gates to new countries]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stut
ePassport gates, new countries, passport requirements, experience and wait times. Any volunteers?
Print Wikipost

ePassport Gates Master Thread [was: Opening up the e-Gates to new countries]

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
I also struggle to use the machines due to a creased page.
Old May 23, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
MIne didn't work at first, when it was brand new (!) at T5. Now it does, although it did not work on my last trip to Germany. Less than one year old ...
Old May 23, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Thomathy
Does anyone else have this problem, with the little paper join section being easily damaged over time? And does anyone happen to know if the design may ever change back to a more robust material?
I got a new passport last year and felt the same as you - that the new design felt less robust than the older card style. No problems as yet, but I have my doubts on whether the paper will last the full 10 years it’s meant to.

Originally Posted by Thomathy
Not very keen on the remaining nine years waiting in the manual processing queue. Passport office seemed pretty clear that I “should not” apply for a new passport but less clear as to whether I “could not”.

I suppose technically there’s nothing preventing you from reporting the passport as damaged, or lost, and applying for a new one (and paying for the pleasure!)

One health warning: a former boss was notorious for losing or damaging passports, leaving them in hotels, taxis, seat pockets or having them dry-cleaned. It got to the stage that they were only entitled to a restricted validity passport of 12 months, and have to reapply and pay the full fee each year. A one-off replacement shouldn’t raise any alarms, but worth bearing in mind that repeat requests for replacements can have consequences.
Old May 23, 2019, 5:08 pm

If the passport office will not replace these passports free of charge, should they be referred to Trading Standards for supplying a product that is not of merchantable quality?
Old May 26, 2019, 7:55 am

Has E-gate availability sped up border control Heathrow T3

We'll be arriving at LHR T3 on a Sunday in July on AA from Philadelphia. I wonder whether there are any early experiences as to whether e-gate availability has sped up passage through border control. I'm trying to estimate time for various options after we arrive.

I'll check again closer to our departure date, but I do want to make some tentative reservations soon.

Thanks!
Old May 27, 2019, 6:57 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
I have no first-hand experience but I have heard that the answer is yes it has gotten better.
Old May 28, 2019, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Better for the new countries, but a significant slow down for those previously eligible as I discovered last night at T2. All machines open (good), 15 deep queues for each one (bad) and a long snake queue too (bad). LHR Goon refusing to let people into the regular EU queue
Old May 31, 2019, 5:48 am

E-passport gates and the photo

Hi

Twice in the last week I had a near-seek-assistance experience at the e-passport gates in MAN T3, both over my image stuck in the screen in front of me. I'm non-EU RT and in the past this had happened perhaps once in 2+ years. First near-seek-assistance experience led me to a Border Force dragon whom, even though I handed her my passport with my an RT sticker on the back facing her, proceeded to immediately ask me if there was "any reason" why I was "using the EU lanes". Second experience I shifted around, got my face closer to the screen etc, when I was about to give up the gate opened up. Both times I was standing in the foot marks, not wearing glasses headphones hats turbans etc.

So, any tips to ensure the photo thing works? I've read here that the matching is done by the gate (which would kind of make sense), I've also read it's just a human doing it. My appearance hasn't changed a lot but I am 5 years older than in my passport picture. Thoughts?
Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Reports from e-gates post changes?

What are your experiences coming through T5 (or T3) post the changes allowing US, Canadian etc. citizens to use the e-gates? I met with a client this morning who flew into T2 and claimed that it was chaos, with the line snaking back through the barriers, which he thought was down to these changes. I landed at 530am at T5 shortly after the implementation (and on a bank holiday) and it was fine, but I guess the test is at more pressing times.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 3:06 pm

I arrived this morning at 6:45 AM and the queue was very long in Terminal 3. Not quite chaos but not great. Took much longer than when only EU passports could use the e-gates.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 3:23 pm

Fine at T5 both times I’ve been through. But both occasions after 6pm, which I suspect is much quieter than the morning rush.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
How bad did the retry-retry-reject rate look?
By now a lot of e-gate users in the EU have had some practice, while other nationalities may be less used to them.

Also how many gates were open? If the UK Border Farce have moved a lot of people to a facility not able to process them any faster (because they haven't got enough gates open) then the results will be obvious.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 4:30 pm

I found the e-gates at T5 faster than usual, as all of the gates were active when I passed through on Bank Holiday Monday. There were lots of staff on hand funnelling visitors to make sure that they went to the right gates.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 5:19 pm
CTV

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL
Originally Posted by Mirp
I arrived this morning at 6:45 AM and the queue was very long in Terminal 3. Not quite chaos but not great. Took much longer than when only EU passports could use the e-gates.
This was my experience last week at T3 for a Midday arrival and it took around 20 minutes to snake through the line instead of the usual 5 minutes max. There's definitely not enough machines currently and I hope they're going to reutilise some of the space where the desks are now to add more.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:42 pm

Programs: BAEC
I came through T5 on Sunday evening and there were no delays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.