FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ePassport Gates Master Thread [was: Opening up the e-Gates to new countries]
Old May 31, 2019, 5:48 am
ezequiel85

E-passport gates and the photo

Hi

Twice in the last week I had a near-seek-assistance experience at the e-passport gates in MAN T3, both over my image stuck in the screen in front of me. I'm non-EU RT and in the past this had happened perhaps once in 2+ years. First near-seek-assistance experience led me to a Border Force dragon whom, even though I handed her my passport with my an RT sticker on the back facing her, proceeded to immediately ask me if there was "any reason" why I was "using the EU lanes". Second experience I shifted around, got my face closer to the screen etc, when I was about to give up the gate opened up. Both times I was standing in the foot marks, not wearing glasses headphones hats turbans etc.

So, any tips to ensure the photo thing works? I've read here that the matching is done by the gate (which would kind of make sense), I've also read it's just a human doing it. My appearance hasn't changed a lot but I am 5 years older than in my passport picture. Thoughts?