Reload this Page >

ePassport Gates Master Thread [was: Opening up the e-Gates to new countries]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stut
ePassport gates, new countries, passport requirements, experience and wait times. Any volunteers?
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Oddly, it was announced in the Budget. USA,Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Japan passports to be allowed through e-Gates.

Let's hope they start opening more than a handful of them up!
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/LTG, LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
They have been able to use them for a long time if they are registered travellers.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by christiang7
They have been able to use them for a long time if they are registered travellers.
Which isn't quite the same thing as just rocking up and using the e-gate. (I am a registered traveller). This is great news, especially for when family come to visit.
Silver Fox and AStarr like this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christiang7
Which is probably 0.1% of visitors from those countries? This is opening it up to everybody.
nancypants and AStarr like this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Did Spreadsheet Phil have anything to say about what he thought was going to happen to the Registered Traveller revenues once all the Americans and Canadians, in particular (being by far the most numerous travellers to the UK among the nationalities listed), stop paying?

(better talk about BA a bit )
BA could make a point of this in their US marketing, it's a big benefit for an airline that gains a lot of revenue from traffic from the USA to UK.

Last edited by flatlander; Oct 29, 2018 at 11:20 am
Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Originally Posted by flatlander
Did Spreadsheet Phil have anything to say about what he thought was going to happen to the Registered Traveller revenues once all the Americans and Canadians, in particular (being by far the most numerous travellers to the UK among the nationalities listed), stop paying?
Nothing! However I'm pleased I won't be having to pay the yearly Ł50 fee (which I've been paying since the trial for USA citizens opened), although I have just paid my yearly fee again yesterday doooh!

Nice gesture politics, and like Heathrow's boss said earlier this summer- "Why should we treat Americans different from Lithuanians? If we can't trust the Americans we can't trust anyone."

Although I think this has to do with easing budget pressures on the UKBA more than anything else. Innovative and welcome. I do hope Brits will be treated as favourably in the very near future when entering the USA.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: BA Silver
I hope they can get the budget to keep more than 1/2 of the gates open at any one time!
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:30 am

It's a good move. At least Australia, New Zealand and the US allow British passports to use their egates/ekiosks, so its nice for these citizens to see some reciprocal rights.

I do hope they expand the number of kiosks open though!
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BA0197
I do hope Brits will be treated as favourably in the very near future when entering the USA.
I wouldn't hold your breath. But Phil's announcement is good news - I always resented my US and Australian relatives being subjected to huge queues when the fast lanes weren't available for them.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:12 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Does anyone know WHEN this momentous event is expected to take place? We have a relative whose registered traveller renews on 23rd Nov. He wants to know if he should renew it or not.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by mikebg
Does anyone know WHEN this momentous event is expected to take place? We have a relative whose registered traveller renews on 23rd Nov. He wants to know if he should renew it or not.
No specific date was given just 'next summer'
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:07 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mikebg
Around or some months after the time of a possible hard BREXIT. So 2019, not 2018; and probably aimed for on or before the peak summer travel of 2019. It shouldn’t take much to just flip on the switch for a handful of countries whose passports are also aligned with the US-demanded US VWP “security” and readability standards.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's the definition of "eligible travellers"? Hopefully this is implemented before my renewal date!

From summer 2019, eligible travellers from Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand and the United States will be able to use the ePassport gates at 14 ports, both in the UK and at Eurostar terminals at Brussels and Paris.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by TomMM
What's the definition of "eligible travellers"? Hopefully this is implemented before my renewal date!
Probably "passengers with a passport that can use e-gates". Not every passport can use the e-gates (e.g. older non-biometric ones). I'm sure that they'll release additional information before implementing the changes.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Great news. It has always been irritating that Commonwealth visitors had to go through the long lines while EU residents slipped in with ease. I also believe Canada should extend the same e-gate privileges to other Commonwealth countries in return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.